If you can make only one fantasy match up happen, what would it be?

What matchup would you pick and who would win?

• Total voters

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I threw a bunch in a poll, obviously I can't cover all fights so I put the ones that interest me.

Fantasy match ups are so much better in boxing than in mma because of the rich history and the iconic status of these legendary fighters.

Literally any of these fights is a dream come true just thinking about them gets me hyped up!

Anyway I would have to pick Tyson vs Ali the two youngest heavyweight champs going at it. Both incredibly fast, Ali with that goat chin and Tyson with that power. I think Ali makes it ugly and survives the storm and stops Tyson later in the fight.

Anyway sherbros feel free to dissect any or all of these match ups, would love to hear the more knowledgeable sherbros give us their take on some these fights.

From that list - hearns vs mayweather. No question.

then Marvin haglar vs canelo or ggg

Obviously would love to see it, but to me Hearns is a clear favourite with the size reach and power.
yeah hearns had great speed, a great jab, and brilliant setups as well. not sure how mayweather wins that one, stylistically.

Tyson vs Ali... Biggest names of all-time, worldwide household names...

From this list, I pick Marciano vs Ali. Always fun to see the GOAT of course favored to win any fight ever, but at a stylistic disadvantage here.

From this list, I pick Marciano vs Ali. Always fun to see the GOAT of course favored to win any fight ever, but at a stylistic disadvantage here.
Which one of them are you referring to as a the GOAT? Ali wins this most likely but Marciano had legendary chin and non stop engine and great power. He's lost fights only to stop his opponent in the 13th round. It would be crazy to count him out. But Ali is so much faster and technically better that you would have to favour him

The two fights involving Mayweather and Hagler stand out... Most say Tommy would be a nightmare match up for Floyd, but I feel with Floyd's superior mobility & ring IQ he could get the W.

Tyson vs. Ali... This is also a fight I have a different opinion on than most... Ali did everything he could in his time, no need to discuss Ali as a part of fantasy matches.
Foreman vs. Tyson would be a lot more interesting to me.

Impossible to only have one, my Lord.

Pac SRL
Pac Duran
Pac Camacho
Pac Hearns

Floyd SRR
Floyd SRL
Floyd Duran
Floyd JCC
Floyd Pernell

GGG Hagler
GGG Monzon
GGG Greb

Canelo Ward
Canelo Calzaghe
Canelo RJJ
Canelo Toney

RJJ Ward
RJJ Canelo

Ward Calzaghe

Crawford Floyd
Crawford Manny
Crawford Duran
Crawford SRL
Crawford Duran (that's right, twice - think it ends up stoppage both times)

Which one of them are you referring to as a the GOAT? Ali wins this most likely but Marciano had legendary chin and non stop engine and great power. He's lost fights only to stop his opponent in the 13th round. It would be crazy to count him out. But Ali is so much faster and technically better that you would have to favour him

There's only one GOAT and it's Ali of course, I thought I didn't need to specify it lol

I agree about Marciano's power and engine. That's where he possibly has an advantage. I am not sure about his chin being legendary though, he was dropped a couple of times. Ali likely wins a decision because he always finds a way, but it's a 9-6 type decision with competitive rounds.

I'd love to see Leonard vs Mayweather most.

I can see them both having 4-5 rounds of success and a couple close ones, a real back and forth fight.

Would be fireworks but I think Hagler is all wrong for Canelo.
hagler almost certainly beats him but i think it’d be a war. absolute barnburner. two great chins, two big punchers, two versatile fighters. hagler had a motor and grit like no other though, so you have to favor him. might be the most entertaining matchup there but not the most interesting.

hagler almost certainly beats him but i think it’d be a war. absolute barnburner. two great chins, two big punchers, two versatile fighters. hagler had a motor and grit like no other though, so you have to favor him. might be the most entertaining matchup there but not the most interesting.
Canelo is too stationary. He's slick but you needed more footwork than what Canelo has shown he is capable of to beat the best version of Hagler. Canelo would find himself in a firefight and you just don't beat Hagler in that kind of fight. Same reason I think Hagler rolls over Golovkin.

The two fights involving Mayweather and Hagler stand out... Most say Tommy would be a nightmare match up for Floyd, but I feel with Floyd's superior mobility & ring IQ he could get the W.

Tyson vs. Ali... This is also a fight I have a different opinion on than most... Ali did everything he could in his time, no need to discuss Ali as a part of fantasy matches.
Foreman vs. Tyson would be a lot more interesting to me.
I got confused because you called it a stylistic disadvantage, I don't think of it that way.

I got confused because you called it a stylistic disadvantage, I don't think of it that way.

A dirty two fisted swarmer who fights from a crouch is a style that poses problems for Ali IMO.

Back