If Yoel and Jacare spoke better English...

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
...would the UFC ever match these two up and try to eliminate one of them?

I mean both of these guys are killing it since coming to the UFC, they both came in around the same time, and both are on big win streaks, and almost all dominant showings and exciting finishes. Both guys are loaded with skill and athleticism, and each brings something very unique to the table. But neither guy talks much shit, and if they did they wouldn't be very good at expressing it in English.

Then you got Luke Rockhold, who joined the UFC around the same time as the other two. He got his ass handed to him by Vitor in his debut, but has since put together a 4 fight win streak, and even beat a top 10 in that span. Fine, not gonna pick on Rockhold, he's a solid fighter and he's proven himself as a MW contender. But it's obvious that he's getting the title shot with an inferior record, and they kinda protected him from both the dangerous foreign contenders ahead of him by putting them against each other while he goes straight to Weidman.

Not hating on the matchmaking, the current fights are all intriguing to me, just annoying when they play obvious favorites like that. Remember the win streak Lyoto needed to put together to finally get a crack at the title, while Forrest Griffin was given a title shot for putting two wins together.

I would say rockholds current streak is on par with Romeo and Jacares streaks. Throw in the fact that he already beat Jacare and it makes a lot of sense why he got the shot.

i'd like to know romero was really ranting about after his last fight..

They'll be a witness to greatness when Romero gets that belt. I'm also perfectly fine with seeing Jacare having it as well.

No weidman though.

I would say rockholds current streak is on par with Romeo and Jacares streaks. Throw in the fact that he already beat Jacare and it makes a lot of sense why he got the shot.

Not really.

Luke won 4 and got his ass knocked out in 1.

Romero won 6 lost none, finished 5 of them, including Luke's best win Machida.

It's a bit harder to make a case for Jacare, but he's still won 5 and lost none, but he's a bit hurt by the fact that two of those wins are vs Chris Camozzi.

Jacare and Luke are a bit closer to par, and they have the close decision in their previous fight. Should have been them two matched up, with Yoel getting Chris imo.

Guys take losses. The loser won't be "eliminated"....and in the state of U.S PC culture, it seems Yoel speaks too much english for his own good.

Not really.

Luke won 4 and got his ass knocked out in 1.

Romero won 6 lost none, finished 5 of them, including Luke's best win Machida.

It's a bit harder to make a case for Jacare, but he's still won 5 and lost none, but he's a bit hurt by the fact that two of those wins are vs Chris Camozzi.

Jacare and Luke are a bit closer to par, and they have the close decision in their previous fight. Should have been them two matched up, with Yoel getting Chris imo.

True Romero has been winning but it's not like he stormed through the competition, he had trouble with Tavares, Kennedy, and Brunson. Rockhold staggered in his debut sure but every win he has picked up since has been flawless. He made beating Machida look easy and I think that's really what sold everyone on his shot.

Romero looked great in his last fight but before that it was unclear if he was ready for the top dogs or not.

All 3 guys are fairly even, no guy really stands out much more than the other two, definitely not enough to get upset over.

True Romero has been winning but it's not like he stormed through the competition, he had trouble with Tavares, Kennedy, and Brunson. Rockhold staggered in his debut sure but every win he has picked up since has been flawless. He made beating Machida look easy and I think that's really what sold everyone on his shot.

Romero looked great in his last fight but before that it was unclear if he was ready for the top dogs or not.

All 3 guys are fairly even, no guy really stands out much more than the other two, definitely not enough to get upset over.

Good post, I'm happy with any one of them getting the shot. I can see the belt swapping a few times between these 4 in the next couple of years

I find Romero's last two victories slightly more impressive than Luke's. Granted, I will be splitting hairs here. Romero actually played Machida's game for 90% of the fight until he decided to take him down and smash him. Whereas Luke beat Machida while taking advantage of his superiority on the ground. Romero finished Kennedy, while only having a brief scare in the second round. Luke dominated Bisping who was dominated by Kennedy, who lost to Romero but gave Luke hard fight in Strikeforce. Again, I'm splitting hairs while using a little bit of MMA math. I just want Romero to get his shot soon, before age catches up to him.

I find Romero's last two victories slightly more impressive than Luke's. Granted, I will be splitting hairs here. Romero actually played Machida's game for 90% of the fight until he decided to take him down and smash him. Whereas Luke beat Machida while taking advantage of his superiority on the ground. Romero finished Kennedy, while only having a brief scare in the second round. Luke dominated Bisping who was dominated by Kennedy, who lost to Romero but gave Luke hard fight in Strikeforce. Again, I'm splitting hairs while using a little bit of MMA math. I just want Romero to get his shot soon, before age catches up to him.

If he can get past Jacare he will most likely get his shot, unless Rockhold/Weidman is FOTY and everyone wants a rematch.

Good post, I'm happy with any one of them getting the shot. I can see the belt swapping a few times between these 4 in the next couple of years

I agree, the top of MW is razor thin skill wise, there are going to be a lot of close fights and a lot of rematches between those 4 fighters.

You're right, they should both just sit around a year and a year and a half waiting for a title shot.

This "omg don't let contenders fight each other" shit is retarded. That's how sport works: you compete against better and better opponents until eventually you reach the pinnacle. They shouldn't be sitting around for a year+ waiting for a title shot, and they shouldn't be fighting cans just to stay loose.

they kinda protected him from both the dangerous foreign contenders ahead of him.
Strikeforce_LukeRockhold_RonaldoJacare.jpg

This isn't going the stop either of them from a shitle tot. Loser is still 1 fight away from a title fight. Remember when they fed Gus a home town title eliminator against Rumble and he was knocked out on Fox TV. Rumble went on to fight for the title then the next title shot went to Gus anyways. Basically winner of Gator/Roms gets title shot. Loser fights Vitor/Mousasi/Machida/Bisping and gets the next title shot after that if they win.

I dont recall him having any trouble with Tavares, outstruck him soundly and took him down at will. Kennedy gave him trouble for exactly 5 seconds of that fight, and he happened to illegally hold his glove to get even that.

But ya, still all good matchups and Luke is up there, just sayin'...

Back