If weight matters that much than why don't all Heavyweights make weight at 265???

Because good athletes that are 265+ are generally american football players.

This^

Think former Minnesota Viking, MMA destroyer of men...Bob Sapp.

The day when these super-warrior-athlete NFL guys start coming to MMA, the consequences of the HW division will never be the same.

Bob-Saap_display_image.jpg

10 lbs in difference to a lightweight is the same to a heavyweight

Um...no. :redface:

Its all about percentages. 10 lbs is 6.5% of 155, while 10lbs is only 3% of 255. Its literally half the difference.

A 3% difference at 155 is only 4 lbs.

UFC 166 is coming up the 2 heavyweights Cain and Junior probably the best in the HW division are facing each other ,both of them weigh in around 240,but why these guys don't choose to weigh 265 for the weigh in day and probably come 275-280 in the fight day if weight is that important?

Because honestly, some people are just caught in-between weight classes.

If they got any larger, their frames would cause them to lose advantages that they currently have.

If you had a larger guy with the same skill-set and ability,.. he would murder these guys.

My thought about weight is that between a match FW vs LW for example the LW can go for 5 rounds and he will not get tired, the 280 HW who will fight a 240 guy will not make even 2 rounds so he will go down pretty quickly

Its all about percentages. 10 lbs is 6.5% of 155, while 10lbs is only 3% of 255. Its literally half the difference.

I was literally going to post the same thing. Logic win.

Because honestly, some people are just caught in-between weight classes.

If they got any larger, their frames would cause them to lose advantages that they currently have.

If you had a larger guy with the same skill-set and ability,.. he would murder these guys.

Yeah I guess you are right
350l8r5.jpg

that has nothing to do with my point did you even read my post? I was explaining that 10 lbs is an advantage to LWs and HWs which is true. bigfoots weight over cain was an advantage he just wasn't good enough to beat him. are you serious? you ended up explaining basic math because you didn't even read the full post :redface:

Once you get beyond a certain point, strength doesn't become such a big deal, and conditioning/quickness will start to be hindered. However, with that said. Let's not forget:

Bigfoot >>> Fedor
Brock > Couture, Mir, Herring

That's another way to explain it. You get a lot more bang for your buck cutting weight at the lower weight classes. Cutting 20 lbs of water is going to be a bitch no matter who you are, and may hurt your endurance some, but if you are able to walk into a 145 lbs match at 165 lbs, that can be a huge advantage if your opponent didn't do the same. But to go into a 205 lbs match at 225 lbs, it's really not as much of a factor and may not even fully compensate for the costs of doing so.

Diminishing returns.

The bigger the human body gets ... you start to sacrifice speed and agility.

The best athletes in the world that can maintain speed and power at a high weight normally go to a sport where they get paid more (ie Football, Baseball).

Brock was one of the rare exceptions of a 265lb man that can move that fast in the UFC.

Fedor, Cain, JDS, ... these heavyweights have almost as much power in their striking as any 265lb HW ... while also being far far faster.

Size matters ... but like with everything ... its not a simple black/white thing. There are shades of grey and other variables that matter.

And As fast as Brock was, he was only Average speed for A D-lineman of the same size of the same size in the NFL.

Because it isn't that easy to gain 25lbs of muscle. And it may not be beneficial. As people pointed out, you can lose speed and hurt cardio (large muscles require more energy to operate).

But what do you mean by "if it matters"?

Give Jones Machida's exact body specs but keep their skills the same and Machida beats him every time. Size absolutely means something within a certain range of skill vs size ratio.

That's not really a fair analogy. Jones has spent his entire career learning how to best use his given body. To suddenly give him someone else's body and then just say "go" it would almost be like starting MMA from day 1 for him.

This^

Think former Minnesota Viking, MMA destroyer of men...Bob Sapp.

The day when these super-warrior-athlete NFL guys start coming to MMA, the consequences of the HW division will never be the same.

Bob-Saap_display_image.jpg

bernard-ackah_johnnie-morton.gif

this is an ex NFL player against Bernard acka, who is 5-3(mostly against japanese cans) in mma and 2-4 in kickboxing and also is a comedian/voice actor.

There is a definite decline in speed and athleticism in general when fighters are that big. There have been a few exceptions like Brock but generally when guys are that big speed and cardio become a problem, and they end up losing to guys around 240.

There just are not a lot of people who are big enough to be in shape at 250 plus (lhws and mws are huge guys compared to the general population). Football is a long established sport in American culture, and there is big money to be made for an athletic hw.

imo, size and athleticism are the most overrating things on sherdog. people believe that a featherweight fighter cant beat a 250lbs man who isnt even a fighter, just because he is smaller. you also have people who believe that every nfl or nba player can be an mma champ if they trained for 2 years, just because they are athletic.

im not saying they don't matter, because they obviously do, but i noticed that sherdoggers seem to act like these are the only two things that are important in fighting.

Weight matters in the sense that fighters want to fight at the weight they are most comfortable with.

Increased weight DOES NOT equal better fighting performance.

Size def matters which is why there are weight classes. However, once you hit the magic weight of 215-220, any additional size doesn't matter in my opinion. A 215-220lb man has more then enough power to ko any man. look at mike tyson as an example. trying to gain more for a size advantage would only hurt you imo.

I was gonna say exactly this. Tyson, Ali etc. Or another example is Crocop vs Sap. There was about a 100lb advantage for Sap, yet Mirko basically broke Sap's f*cking head with a left straight. Diminishing returns indeed.

Back