If Tyron had a different mentality, could he win a rematch?

I don’t think a different mind set is enough in this situation. Woodley loses the re-match if it ever happens. And there is literally not one single reason for another fight.

I don’t know about bigger and stronger.

Tyron’s legs looked like thick, chewy, and powerful trunks compared to the toothpicks holding Usman up.

I thought it was more that he was just so stubborn about backing up in order to land a counter right, he wouldn’t mix things up at all.
I was actually lolling at usmans legs the whole fight. They are Jon Jones esque but looked so much worse because usman is so jacked compared to jones. And they looked super small compared to Tyron’s all fight!

Tyron’s fundamental weakness is backing up against the cage and waiting lol. Usman has the wrestling pressure to exploit that again and again

Possibly, he wasn't really striking.. Since he didn't really take risks.. He got fucked over for it.

If he were younger, he would have a better shot. I think he would need to lean out so he can carry on a more active pace for longer. But even then, Usman just might stylistically be the perfect match for Woodley's.

I'll admit that was the first time I saw Usman fight. I don't go out of my way to watch every event anymore. What I saw was pure domination. Fighters can always make adjustments and come back stronger against someone they already faced, but I don't know if I see a realistic way for Woodley to win other than the big KO shot.
His fight against RDA showed what was possible but I chalked that up to a size difference - I did not expect him to have success with that against Woodley.

I called that fight completely backwards. The writing was on the wall though, in retrospect for me, but some where calling it: Usman is a pressure fighter and Woodley backs up.

I really expected Woodley to find that weak spot in the armor like he did against Till and capitalize hard, but Usman gave him nothing and Woodley couldn't make anything happen.

I dont see how a rematch goes much differently.

No.

Usman is just that much better than Tyron.

Bigger, faster, stronger. Tyron would need to win via freak injury like the way he beat condit.

Condit landed 6 significant strikes to the head in that fight. Condit fanboy with no clue.

He prepped well for wonderboy and got a lot of good partners. For this camp there was no talk of any training partners or anything.

I don't think it is evident that there was any problem with Woodley's prep at all.

Woodley's strategy for Usman seems identical to his strategy against Usman. Wonderboy isn't a pressure fighter, and Woodley's extremely patient and low output style worked (barely). Usman steamrolled right through Tyron's waiting game.

As much as that was maybe the most dominating win in a Championship fight, and Twood didn't do anything at all, I feel like that fight could have gone either way. I think Tyron with a 100% different mentality, would be 50/50 in that fight. Skill wise, he is fairly equal, and strength wise, he might have an advantage. But mentally, he is really weak. I just don't think he will ever be able to fix his holes.

But fuck, put GSP's head on Tyrons body................................................Dayum.
i think he definitely could do different, but:
1. he is by nature a counterpuncher
2. he has many of the typical "champion distractions" : music, acting, etc.

he would have to go against his natural instinct and be first, be agressive, throw the first punch, and be fully focused on fighting leading up to it

mentally, he is really weak.

"Woodley was born and raised in Ferguson, Missouri. He was the eleventh of thirteen children born to Sylvester and Deborah Woodley. He was raised by his mother after his father left the family early in his life."

His mental weakness started after his father left and didn't raise him to be a man. He became a mama's boy and a whiner. No good father lets his son become a whiner.

His beta backing-up-to-the-cage mentality is a disaster.

Woodley would have a much better chance if he goes all guns blazing aggressively in the first round although there's a good chance that could backfire too

Woodley's gotta stand his ground at center cage and get into an ugly brawl. He's way too content to just back up and look for a perfect opening for his right hand, guys like Usman will never give you that perfect opening.

Woodley can take a punch, he just doesn't like taking damage.

I don't think it is evident that there was any problem with Woodley's prep at all.

Woodley's strategy for Usman seems identical to his strategy against Usman. Wonderboy isn't a pressure fighter, and Woodley's extremely patient and low output style worked (barely). Usman steamrolled right through Tyron's waiting game.
He was unprepared on the fence. Usman's style didn't change for this Woodley fight. That style isn't mysterious or we never seen it before. Jumping for guillotine choke for that type of grind is out of place as a game plan. Who did he prep with for the fight with Usman? Who did he use for wrestling?

Woodley is two quality wins away from another crack at Usman. He needs to blitz him in the first and land that power shot or he’ll get 50-44’ed again.

As much as that was maybe the most dominating win in a Championship fight, and Twood didn't do anything at all, I feel like that fight could have gone either way. I think Tyron with a 100% different mentality, would be 50/50 in that fight. Skill wise, he is fairly equal, and strength wise, he might have an advantage. But mentally, he is really weak. I just don't think he will ever be able to fix his holes.

But fuck, put GSP's head on Tyrons body................................................Dayum.
The problem with Tyron is that he's not a complete fighter -- he lacks a gas tank. For Tyron to fight with a "different mentality" would mean that he would need to actually fight aggressively. Tyron fights the same EVERY TIME ... he backs up against the cage, and looks for a big right hand or a big takedown. As Dana White said -- most guys can't do both with him. So he either lands the big right hand, or he gets the takedown. Against guys that can strike and wrestle, he freezes up.

Now, why does Tyron fight so passively? Because he can't actually fight for even 3 full rounds. If Tyron were to actually go after Usman, he'd gas within 1 round. Tyron has developed this "turtle" style of fighting to preserve his pathetic gas tank, and it caught up with him.

Basically Tyron can't fight with a different mentality without risking emptying his tank and not finishing his opponent. And that seems to be a situation which he is unwilling to put himself in. He'd rather fight boring, take as little damage as possible, and lose a decision.

Woodley is two quality wins away from another crack at Usman. He needs to blitz him in the first and land that power shot or he’ll get 50-44’ed again.
Not as long as Usman is champ. Dana White isn't giving Tyron another title fight.

It would be asking him to rewrite and change flaws he's had in his career from the beginning. Usman didn't expose the flaws in his game, Marquardt, Shields and MacDonald did. Usman just did his homework and followed the gameplan as well as implemented his own style to it. So no I don't

you're an idiot. Tyron has fought smart in all his title defenses. He loses his belt and all of a sudden his mentality is shit. gtfoh

I don’t know why everyone thinks Usman is so great...Woodley did not show up for that fight. If he could get his shit together he outstrikes and out grapples Usman

Back