If things go south will McGregors corner throw in the towel ?

They might do it to save Khabib from dying.

when was the last time a corner threw in the towel for a ufc fight

The way McG panic tapped with Diaz on top of him, and this is a serious question, how do you expect him to act under the smothering pressure that Khabib is going to bear on him?

Some people do not like being on bottom, as it can be very intimidating and frightening for some, especially people who might be a little claustrophobic. McG has done nothing, that to me, indicates he is any different. Don't remember the guys name, but he was a black dude on TUF with a 'fro believe his name might have been Jaime something, he got put on his back and panicked very quickly. He was very talented on his feet, and in fact his TDD was really good, but now we know why, he was terrified of being controlled on the bottom.

I don't think Conor is that bad, but he clearly does not like being in that position. I believe he felt somewhat comfortable with Chad in his guard, but when Khabib gets side control, or even worse full mount, Conor will absolutely panic, mark my words on that. Unless Conor starches Khabib in the very early moments of the fight, that is precisely where he is going to end up. It will be no different than Barboza, if he doesn't close it out early. While it is clearly possible, as Conor has the ability to do that, personally I do not see it happening, and I foretell another Barboza sort of outing for Khabib. However, to answer your question, I do not see Conor giving his corner the chance to throw in the towel, he will take care of that for them, by giving up his neck like he did to Nate.
Jamie Yager. Let me preface this by saying I’m not a Conor fan. But the man was concussed before he tapped to Nate which is a huge part of the story that you’re not mentioning. Anybody can SAY what they would or wouldn’t do concussed but you really don’t know until it happens. It’s possible that Conor doesn’t remember anything after he got rocked. I remember Ryan Bader gave an interview where he said after he was rocked by Tito he more or less “woke up” in the deep guillotine that he ultimately tapped to. I’m not a Conor fan but I don’t see him tapping THAT fast to Nate had he not been on Queer Street.

I could see him not getting off the stool after the second or third round. Once the fight is called off, then he will hop up and contest it.

They seemed perfectly happy to throw him back in when tiny mayweather was pinballing him around the boxing ring.

s5h9d2ljpw2deb8zg.jpg

Hahaha McGregor Jr got KTFO

Jamie Yager. Let me preface this by saying I’m not a Conor fan. But the man was concussed before he tapped to Nate which is a huge part of the story that you’re not mentioning. Anybody can SAY what they would or wouldn’t do concussed but you really don’t know until it happens. It’s possible that Conor doesn’t remember anything after he got rocked. I remember Ryan Bader gave an interview where he said after he was rocked by Tito he more or less “woke up” in the deep guillotine that he ultimately tapped to. I’m not a Conor fan but I don’t see him tapping THAT fast to Nate had he not been on Queer Street.
Yes, you are 100% correct, Jamie Yager is who I was referring to, thank you for the assist. Sure, I will give you that, without question Nate rocked him badly, had him shooting for takedowns FFS, so yeah, he was pretty fooked at that point. However, it wasn't the speed of the tap that I was referring to, it was the repeated taps. Listen, if someone with a good squeeze gets under your chin, and you can't get to their hands very quickly, then there is no shame in tapping. You simply don't see that kind of panic tapping very often, if at all, in professional MMA, and especially in the UFC. TBH, outside of the local circuits, I cannot, right off the top, think of another instance of it. While I am sure there are several, none are coming to me right now.

MadeupBadAsianwaterbuffalo-size_restricted.gif
MMA corners almost never throw in the towel. Even when they should. In boxing it is more common because people have literally lost their lives when they didn’t have too. Not just Apollo Creed. Real people.

MMA is a young sport. When someone dies in a high profile fight corners will throw in the towel more.
The strange thing is that it used to be a normal thing in the early days of the UFC.

LOL Perhaps some spacing will help. Not sure what the hell is going on with SD lately, but my posts text lags behind my actual keystrokes by like 10-15 secs anymore, and a lot of keystrokes don't even register.
I've been having the same issue mobile

Is Khabib gonna make it to the Octagon, or pussy out like he typically does?

They might do it to save Khabib from dying.
From over exertion possibly, while putting on another Barbosa type performance. But, I will say it here and now, if Conor is on his back, he will pose absolutely no threat, zero, zilch, nadda.

The strange thing is that it used to be a normal thing in the early days of the UFC.
I’m not sure how “early” you’re talking but it may be because early on the ref could NOT intervene. A fighter had to tap or his corner had to throw in the towel. Big John helped to change that.

“McCarthy’s first-ever experience refereeing fights came at UFC 2 in March of 1994, and it was an eye-opening experience since the UFC had almost no rules at the time, meaning that a fight could only be stopped if a fighter submitted or their corner threw in the towel.”

https://www.lowkickmma.com/10-unforgettable-stories-from-legendary-mma-referee-big-john-mccarthy/

I’m not sure how “early” you’re talking but it may be because early on the ref could NOT intervene. A fighter had to tap or his corner had to throw in the towel. Big John helped to change that.

“McCarthy’s first-ever experience refereeing fights came at UFC 2 in March of 1994, and it was an eye-opening experience since the UFC had almost no rules at the time, meaning that a fight could only be stopped if a fighter submitted or their corner threw in the towel.”

https://www.lowkickmma.com/10-unforgettable-stories-from-legendary-mma-referee-big-john-mccarthy/
Yes I'm talking about very early

Conor will not let himself get the kind of extended beating that would warrant the towel. If he is gassed and taking a beating on the ground over multiple rounds Conor will look for the exit fast and I don't blame him if he does.

This fight is not going the distance. Either Conor kos khabib inside 2 rounds or khabib beats conor into submission

The UFC refs are probably instructed to act in Conman's interests, if he has any success at all the ref will leap in at warp speed at the first chance for an early stoppage. On the other hand if Khabib holds him down and isn't punching for even one millisecond, they'll be stood up. Khabib will need to actually put him unconscious to get a stoppage, and if it goes to decision expect a robbery in Connie's favor if it's not a total dominance.

Make no mistake about it, UFC wants Conman to win and to return to a normal fighting schedule. They are literally praying he has another Aldo moment and sleeps him. It's disgusting really.

They seemed perfectly happy to throw him back in when tiny mayweather was pinballing him around the boxing ring.

s5h9d2ljpw2deb8zg.jpg
Why are you asking sherdog, we have no idea.

Title should have been " do you think/believe they will throw in the towel if etc "

Dana will run to the mechanical room and pull the power. Lights go out and he declares it a no contest with no rematch

More concerned the ref will call it quick when Conor clips Khabib.

Back