If they had never fought, would you consider Evans a bad match-up for Machida?

I always thought it was weird people thought Rashad was much of a threat to Machida, at least at the time.

Baring the two big punches on Liddell and Forrest, Rashad was at best going equal with them on the feet. Liddell and Forrest were two very hittable opponents as well.

Machida was a striker who was tough to takedown and tough to hit. I knew Rashad was getting wrecked that night.

No, Machida's TDD is top-notch and his striking is better than Rashad's.

That fight seems like a lifetime ago.

I hated Rashad back then because of his crotch grab against Forrest, his behavior before fighting Chuck, and his annoying personality on TUF.
He grew on me a little since then and I really wanted to see Shad beat Jones.

That fight seems like a lifetime ago.

I hated Rashad back then because of his crotch grab against Forrest, his behavior before fighting Chuck, and his annoying personality on TUF.
He grew on me a little since then and I really wanted to see Shad beat Jones.

I have the same opinion about rash ads behavior. He just looks like a bad monkey going for that crotch grab. Its a good thing he no longer does that.

I have the same opinion about rash ads behavior. He just looks like a bad monkey going for that crotch grab. Its a good thing he no longer does that.

He replaced the crotch grab with an ass wipe against Jones.

thing is machidas fighting style is very difficult to deal with

i think if shad had boxing similar to shoguns (high hands protecting the face), utilizing leg kicks, he can potentially catch machida

This is an interesting to consider since Rashad has asked for a rematch.
In retrospect this question may sound silly. But try to remove the memory of their fight from your mind...

Machida has a special fighting style. However, he seems to fight at his worst against guys that can pressure him against the cage and limit his movement. Like by covering space and staying active on the feet while not giving counters. I imagine Rashad can to this with active footwork and his good reach.

Even Tito Ortiz was succesful in doing this. Machida's natural response to this is the knee to the plexus. Against a fast wrestler like Rashad that could land him on his back.

Also consider the fact that there's more tape on Machida (losing), which can help develop a good game-plan.

inb4shadface

tl;dr: Forget their first fight and imagine if they fought now, would you consider Rashad a bad match-up for Machida?

No. I would still favor Machida simply because he is so elusive in the standup and Rashad's standup is average at best and isn't the most polished

Back