If they had never fought, would you consider Evans a bad match-up for Machida?

Nah I still would think Machida was still a bad matchup for Rashad. Machida is such a hard guy to fight against. But Rashad was too aggressive in their first fight. I think he could pull it off a second time but still wouldn't put money on it.

Rashad wasn't aggressive in the first fight, he was being way too patient and trying to counter Machida, which is probably the worst strategy he couldve used

Machida was a favorite against Rashad, for a reason.

Too hard to take down, too hard to punch. That takes away Rashad's entire game.

Jones had him on the ground for half a minute

He stopped exerting effort in holding him to use the opportunity to take the back.

Since then, Machida has lost fights and Rashad has reverted back to a more wrestling based style (even though that's prob the result of his loss to Machida)

Okay?

In forcing the TD more, Rashad may be more prone to getting caught, because he does neglect to protect his chin at times. Given that Machida has such great TDD, I don't see any reason to think that Rashad automatically gets the takedown, just because he tries for it.

Also, Machida losing to Shogun and Rampage doesn't indicate that he would lose to Rashad. Shogun and Rampage pressured him with technical striking, KO power, and iron chins. We've already seen that Rashad standing with Machida is a bad strategy. He's going to have to beat him with wrestling, which only Jones has done. Considering that Jones is a superior wrestler to Rashad, we don't necessarily know that Rashad can have success with the same gameplan.

Nah I still would think Machida was still a bad matchup for Rashad. Machida is such a hard guy to fight against. But Rashad was too aggressive in their first fight. I think he could pull it off a second time but still wouldn't put money on it.

no he was way to tentative in that fight. go watch it again.

I actually still think he is. that rashad just came off a couple knock out wins including one over Chuck and so he thought he could stand with everyone. if he'd stick to his explosive take downs I think he takes it 8/10 times.

that loss was good for him as he was really really c0cky. it was food for him in the long run BUT now he doesn't finish fights which is a loss for us

They already fought noob Shad got ko'd bad

Didn't read the OP? It was pretty clear TS knew that and was posing a hyothetical.

In response, it's easy for me to say I thought Machida was going to win the first time and so I'd always favour him, but I remember thinking at the time that the fight could go either way, Rashad was looking good, I wasn't sure if his explosiveness or Machida's tricky style would prevail.

Machida was a favorite against Rashad, for a reason.

Too hard to take down, too hard to punch. That takes away Rashad's entire game.

TS said IF THEY FOUGHT AGAIN and that being said rashad would probably be a small favourite now

1286531162354.gif

Machida was over a -200 favorite the first fight, and considered a nightmare matchup for all wrestlers.

Nothing has happened since then to make people think otherwise. He lost to Jones due to Jones' wrestling, but everyone loses to Jones.

And even Jones couldn't keep Machida on the ground for more than 10 seconds. He just happened to land the perfect elbow in those 10 seconds that cut Machida and basically ended the fight.

Rashad would be the betting underdog today even if the first fight never happened.

sorry but a counter superman punch after faking machida ended the fight. I know the elbow was brutal but the punch was beautiful. Machida was hurt as hell.

shad is going to outclass nogueira, just saying

I feel the main reason rashad lost was due to his newly aquired confidence in his striking if he goes back to his wrestling I feel it could be a different fight

Machida does well against wrestlers. I would still favor Machida had they not already fought.

When they first fought I had Machida dominating Rashad. Machida up to that point had already shown good TDD and the ability outwork supposedly better grapplers (he made Sokoudju look silly despite his judo background and we know what happened with Tito).

This and the fact that Rashad's striking was highly overrated at the time. I knew there was no way he was going to find distance properly or out strike Machida. The only way he would have won was if he decided to just try and wrestle with Machida.

I think Rashad may think twice about talking shit against the cage this time and he may do better because of that, but I still think he loses the fight. He's perfect for Machida.

If Rashad was finishing more opponents, I would say yes. But he isn't a finisher. Before they fought, Lyoto looked absolutely unbeatable. He was getting flawless victories. Rashad is always a threat, but I didn't and don't consider him any worse of a matchup than anyone else at 205.

sorry but a counter superman punch after faking machida ended the fight. I know the elbow was brutal but the punch was beautiful. Machida was hurt as hell.
That was not a counter, but yes, it was that and not the elbow that ended that fight. Well, that and Jones' ridiculous ability to finish chokes.

First fight i ever bet money on, 20 on machida. i knew he was going to win after seeing his fights against ortiz and t.silva, and how rashad(one of my favorites) had alot of trouble with forrest griffins range and got easily pressured, machida had one of the best TDD in the ufc before that fight and i just put 1 and 1 together lol. great fight though, cant wait to see a rematch hopefully its competitive.

Machida is an awful matchup for wrestlers. Especially Rashad who relies on speed to make up for holes in his stand up game. That doesn't work when you fight a faster fighter with better technique like Machida. This fight will always end in Shadface

Yeah. Machida is famous for is elusiveness and ability to avoid the takedown. He obviously has superior striking as well.

Yes, i still its a winnable fight for him, but ill root for Machida again.

Back