If they got rid of the 265 cap, would we see huge invincible guys?

DismalNecessaryCygnet-size_restricted.gif
Haha how can you not love that?

I remember when guys like Brock and Carwin and Duffee were supposed to be what the new generation of heavyweights was going to be like lol.

MMA is just too taxing in both aerobic and anaerobic ways for huge guys to be the optimal size. I’m sure we’ll see another 265 lb. guys hold the belt someday but it won’t be the norm.

I remember when guys like Brock and Carwin and Duffee were supposed to be what the new generation of heavyweights was going to be like lol.

MMA is just too taxing in both aerobic and anaerobic ways for huge guys to be the optimal size. I’m sure we’ll see another 265 lb. guys hold the belt someday but it won’t be the norm.
I think it was more USADA than MMA is too taxing. Ubereem would likely still be at the top otherwise.. Ngannou would be like 300 lbs, and Jon Jones with his 6'4" 84.5" frame would be fighting at HW hulked up like Ubereem. Guys with frames like DC would be totally unable to compete with that bc even on roids he'd be like 220 lean.

Do it. Giant Silva is ready to make his return. He's nearly 60 but ready to throw down.

Yeah USADA killed that train

I think it was more USADA than MMA is too taxing. Ubereem would likely still be at the top otherwise.. Ngannou would be like 300 lbs, and Jon Jones with his 6'4" 84.5" frame would be fighting at HW hulked up like Ubereem. Guys with frames like DC would be totally unable to compete with that bc even on roids he'd be like 220 lean.

Ubereem is champ material but he doesn’t have the chin to stay there with MMA gloves. This isn’t K1.

DC is short but has a thick frame / broad shoulders he’d probably looking like Jeff Monsoon if he juiced and got rid of the BF.

Smaller guys would still have an advantage in 5 round fights. HW is the only division where such huge cardio gaps exist because 205 to 265 is already wide enough as it is.

In your example, I’ll take a 240 lb. juiced Bones over Reem or any heavyweight 265 plus.

There are vey few examples of guys that wouldn't be able to make the weight while remaining at a near optimal in terms of functional for fighting. Unless they are exceptionally tall and in proportion. Look at weight categories for wrestlers, judokas, boxers etc.

For the vast majority of fighters, all it does it stop them from carrying excess fat.

Ubereem got knocked out twice before USDA came around. At a certain point you can't put muscle on your chin and a 220lb guy can knockout anyone. Brock got handled by softbodied Cain...

there's pro wrestlers and football players in the 300 lbs range that have crazy cardio for their size. i want to see what they can do. who the hell wouldn't?

Although really 265lbs probably means guys can be stepping into the cage not too far off 300lbs, at that size losing 20lbs+ of water weight isnt as much proportionally.

The shift would be more allowing guys like Bob Sapp who are closer to 350lbs to fight but honestly I suspect guys that size with decent mobility are quite rare, Sapp himself probably wouldnt have gotten past USADA.

Unfortunately all the big huge athletic guys went to basketball instead of MMA. So MMA got these fat leftovers....
Plenty of guys who are super athletic who don’t have the basketball skills to make it.

What they should do is narrow the range down. 206lb - 265lb is ridiculous. This is why you see so many 6’4” guys at LHW.

This is why HW sucks. A 206 - 225lb class would be the best eva.

Boxing is still unlimited, isn't it? How many truly great heavyweights have been over 250 pounds? I could see size conferring more of an advantage in grappling, but there's a point of diminishing returns when the sport requires both agility and cardio.
If there were no weight limits, I could see sumo guys coming in and doing well, but those guys are rockstars in Japan, I doubt many would be enticed by MMA.

No they don't. In NFL there is stoppage every 10 seconds and they get 30-40 seconds breather. In UFC they would die within a minute of round 1.
RIP Gregy Hardy! He must be in zombie mode now? The African Zombie anyone?

Also it is a joke for the UFC to have a limit on the HW division, especially a 265 limit, lol. Granted most big guys are in actual sports where they pay could be 37x better (450,000 league min NFL vs 12k show UFC, not even including top NFL vs top UFC). Then look at Jon Jones, who after the Reyes fight is reported to earning 7+ million in his UFC career, and compare that to a nfl guy who signed a 3 year 84 million deal and he isn't even that good, lol, while Jon is one of the best ever.

So yeah maybe it is hard for the UFC to find competent bigger guys, but why limit your org by these limitations. Also why would the top MMA org in the UFC sign some obesity monstrosities who will blow their wad after walking up the steps to the ring? And if the UFC does sign some of them, then that is their own fault. Having an open upper limit at HW doesn't mean anyone can waltz in off the street and fight in the UFC without the UFC having any say in it, lol. If the UFC takes a profession approach they would only sign the bigger guys with proven track records of not blowing their wad, even though they guys like this already like Ngannou.

Last edited:
there's pro wrestlers and football players in the 300 lbs range that have crazy cardio for their size. i want to see what they can do. who the hell wouldn't?

Pro footballers play in short explosive bursts.

At that size they'd have to lose some weight to have cardio for 3 x 5 mins.

I believe that's why the ideal HW size seems to be about 240-250lbs.

Most big NFL guys who've fought MMA have had god awful cardio, unless there were smaller side like Schaub or Meathead.

Back