If they fought today Phil Davis would still beat Gustaffson

Phil has 0 fans, he is like Big Tim, nobody likes him, but nobody hates him enought to pay to watch him get beat up. He is just floating around there in that space that nobody wants to be in.

so true

If Gus fought Phil Davis today, he'd KO him pretty quick. Gus is light years ahead of what he'd was when they first met.

yes thats why some days ago phil said he will not fight Gus for the title

I can't tell if all the people thinking Phil would win again are trolling, or they're just retarded. If you actually watch fighting and not just look up their records, one of them has improved tremendously, while the other one never improved and still acts poorly to getting hit. Gus would not get taken down and look what happens to Phil when he fights guys with good tdd and good striking. Rashad and rumble both made him look like an amateur.

The thing is Phil is the guy that helped him with his wrestling after they fought. If i had to put money on it i wouldnt take gus. I still think Gus is a better overall but that just not a good matchup.

Gus has improved his TDD leaps and bounds since then. I think he dominates Davis now.

The thing is Phil is the guy that helped him with his wrestling after they fought. If i had to put money on it i wouldnt take gus. I still think Gus is a better overall but that just not a good matchup.

He helped him but it's not like Gus had no tdd defense or knew no wrestling before that. He stuffed all of Phil's td's but got caught when he tried taking Phil down. Gus was stuffing jones at will and even put him on his back while Phil got taken down and put in a crucifix by rashad. That's not a knock on rashad, but Phil just hasn't really gotten better while Gus has been putting people away and giving jones the toughest fight he's ever had.

Not only did Phil take Gus down but held him there and choked him out.

Op's main account found

Gus was training part time back then. And since then brought in a Swedish champ to train for every fight. Maybe that why since then he took Jones down while Jones struggled the whole time. You know who Jon Jones is? He just out wrestled a Olympian.

Phil gets destroyed in the rematch

Contrary to the way most people remember the fight, Gus was reversed after attempting a takedown on Davis. He was able to stuff Davis's shots otherwise. I think his fight IQ (as well as his wrestling) has improved immensely since that fight in 2010, and he would embarrass Davis in a rematch.

You also think that Clay Guida can beat Anthony Pettis or Ryo Chonan can beat Anderson Silva.

Times change, fighters change..

I would heavily favor Phil beating Gus for the second time also. There is no reason not to favor him in that fight.

There's the welldocumented improvements that Gus has made, quite the reason really.

If Gus was such a poor grappler like you make him out to be, he'd have been submitted in the first round by Jones.

If Phil took on Gus right now he'd struggle with the takedown even worse than vs. AJ and get Litt up.

He helped him but it's not like Gus had no tdd defense or knew no wrestling before that. He stuffed all of Phil's td's but got caught when he tried taking Phil down. Gus was stuffing jones at will and even put him on his back while Phil got taken down and put in a crucifix by rashad. That's not a knock on rashad, but Phil just hasn't really gotten better while Gus has been putting people away and giving jones the toughest fight he's ever had.

Hmm. I would think training with a wrestler of phils capabilities he would pick up a thing or 2 on gus wrastlin tendencies. Phil standup isnt pretty but i find it hard to believe he hasnt improved at all. We dont know that gus wouldnt get subbed again. Who knows

Gus has the wrestling defense and striking skills to tool Davis. Gus would win by tko in the second.

This. Gus' wrestling has improved because of Phil. Phil would control him like he did Glover and Gus knocking him out is unlikely if Rumble couldn't.

A wrestling coach Gustafsson has spent far more time with is Jimmy Lidberg, you might wanna look him up.
Davis is more of a sparringpartner.

I think it would be closer but I still like Phil's chances against Gus. The perception is that Gus has gotten so much better but if they fought I do believe Phil would eventually get him down and tap him. Unfortunately I don't think they will fight again which is good for Gus

A wrestling coach Gustafsson has spent far more time with is Jimmy Lidberg, you might wanna look him up.
Davis is more of a sparringpartner.

Looked it up and, Phil and Lidberg seem to have both started training with Gus at the end of 2012.

Looked it up and, Phil and Lidberg seem to have both started training with Gus at the end of 2012.

Yeah but he trains at alliance a couple of weeks before every fight and that's it, looking at the fight schedule he's been keeping he obviously trains far more at home in Sweden. Phil hardly knows him in and out.

Phil has 0 fans, he is like Big Tim, nobody likes him, but nobody hates him enought to pay to watch him get beat up. He is just floating around there in that space that nobody wants to be in.

LOL Ouch man that is .. Ahh.. Well it's not that bad I think as you described..

But ouch that words surely hurt :D

I think Gustafsson should be the favourite even if he didn't improve since the last fight. Davis didn't really have much success until Gustafsson tried to wrestle himself.

Back