If there was a cruiserweight division, which of these scenarios happens most?

Here is what happens:

1. Cain picks whichever division between HW/CW he wants and dominates it.
2. JDS goes to the other one and dominates it.
3. Current HWs split randomly (aside from the 2-3 guys who couldn't make it to 220) between HW and CW.
4. No LHWs move up in weight.
5. HW and CW both get even shallower than HW is now and a lot of interesting HW matchups never happen because guys are arbitrarily in separate weight classes.

Cool story, right?

imo Cormier is the CW champ and Cain stays at HW.

Pretty much agree with points 3-5, though.

Only way this would ever work is if in addition to adding the CW weight class, they removed the weight cap on HW and brought in some big A-level athletes like Shaq ;)

Here is what happens:

1. Cain picks whichever division between HW/CW he wants and dominates it.
2. JDS goes to the other one and dominates it.
3. Current HWs split randomly (aside from the 2-3 guys who couldn't make it to 220) between HW and CW.
4. No LHWs move up in weight.
5. HW and CW both get even shallower than HW is now and a lot of interesting HW matchups never happen because guys are arbitrarily in separate weight classes.

Cool story, right?

I can see those scenarios happening.
1-Cain is dominating at HW. Who wants to see him fight Jds?
2-jds is an exciting champ. So now we get both of them as exciting champs!
3-Cormier can be the champ in cw, because hes not fighting Cain.
4-i can see some lhws moving up. Most def.
5- true. But if we can get more matchyps out if these bigger weight classes thays a better alternative.

The only fundamental problem it would leave is the gaping hole in the heavyweight division which is struggling as it is to keep full of legit, productive talent. It needs guys like Cain and JDS having all their fights in that weight class. If they could find a few guys to fill in the voids left by those two it would be a phenomenal idea.

I really think a cruiserweight division is a great idea.
More fighters, more champs, more fights.

A and B for me.

Who would fight there? LHWs would still cut the 10 -25LBs to make 205 (like every other weight class) and the guys like JDS and Cain would probably just stay at HW because its a more prestigious belt and they dominate anyway

What happens if a fighter holds all three belts then gets injured?

Three belts out for 18 months?

Heavyweight shouldn't have an upper limit.

It's retarded.

If there was a Cruiserweight div. the 265 limit would have to be abolished.

They're just trying to stop Bob Sapp from coming in and laying waste to the roster with the 65 limit.

What happens if a fighter holds all three belts then gets injured?

Three belts out for 18 months?

.00001 percent chance of that happening...but yeah there would be a few illegitimate champs lol.

5- true. But if we can get more matchyps out if these bigger weight classes thays a better alternative.

I don't see how adding a new division magically generates more match ups without expanding the roster, and adding a weight class in between two existing weight classes doesn't really generate any vacancy in the roster, such as adding a previously non-existant weight class (ie: straw). You're still selecting from the same talent pool.

If LHW and HW were over-flowing with talent, I would be all for this idea, but they are probably the two shallowest weight classes in the UFC. The notion of further dividing them is ridiculous, imo.

For the initial Title Fight....

Cigano vs Cormier

cormierdossantos2_crop_north.jpg

it's mostly the same thing as of now with the best HW's beating the best LHW's, but LHW being a bit stronger would have mid-sized HW's outside of Cain & JDS losing to the top LHW's.

That's why cruiserweight is pointless, the big LHW's would keep cutting to 205 to have a size edge, while the smaller ones would be even more undersized at 220, but would face weaker competition, while the best HW's would stay there unless they can't get a title shot or didn't want to fight Cain, who's the toughest test. This all leads to Pokes & Cain being still champs at 205 and HW, while the rest can fight for a trophy belt in the middle.

I don't see how adding a new division magically generates more match ups without expanding the roster, and adding a weight class in between two existing weight classes doesn't really generate any vacancy in the roster, such as adding a previously non-existant weight class (ie: straw). You're still selecting from the same talent pool.

If LHW and HW were over-flowing with talent, I would be all for this idea, but they are probably the two shallowest weight classes in the UFC. The notion of further dividing them is ridiculous, imo.

I'm saying there would be more potential matchyps. The small hws can fight bigger lhw guys as well as the bigger hws. And the bigger lhws wouldn't have to cut to 220/225.
Do you sees any sense in that? The cw fighters can obviously fight a hw still but also have the option to cut down to lhw.
Opens more doors imo.

it's mostly the same thing as of now with the best HW's beating the best LHW's, but LHW being a bit stronger would have mid-sized HW's outside of Cain & JDS losing to the top LHW's.

That's why cruiserweight is pointless, the big LHW's would keep cutting to 205 to have a size edge, while the smaller ones would be even more undersized at 220, but would face weaker competition, while the best HW's would stay there unless they can't get a title shot or didn't want to fight Cain, who's the toughest test. This all leads to Pokes & Cain being still champs at 205 and HW, while the rest can fight for a trophy belt in the middle.

Alot of people are on the fence here some think its good. Glad to hear in not alone.

At least wed get 2-3 more title fights per year.

I'm saying there would be more potential matchyps. The small hws can fight bigger lhw guys as well as the bigger hws. And the bigger lhws wouldn't have to cut to 220/225.
Do you sees any sense in that? The cw fighters can obviously fight a hw still but also have the option to cut down to lhw.
Opens more doors imo.

I actually see it as closing more doors. Fighters don't tend to jump between divisions, so I doubt you would see guys fighting in multiple weight classes. Most would make a decision between LHW and CW or HW and CW, and stick to the weight class they choose. Being that their wouldn't be a large influx of talent (because if there was that much talent available the UFC would already be trying to sign them for LHW or HW), I actually see this as closing the door on potential match ups, since fighters that had until now been fighting in the same class would not be separated by divisions. Yes, it would open the door to some new match ups between small HWs and large LHWs, but overall I see more potential match ups being shut down; Brendan Schaub style.

Cain eats a couple of salads and fucks everyone's world up

this none of the top hws couldnt make 220 if they wanted so you would essential be trading hw for cw thats thinner thats all thats accomplished here since hw would become completely irrelevant in short order with all the top fighters dropping to cw and all the lhws staying were there at b/c why fight bigger guys if your doing fine were your at.

You couldn't have 185 - 20lb - 205 - 15lb - 220lb.

If they had a 220lb division you would also need to redefine all the other divisions. Most LHW's are still over 220lb anyway & the top heavyweights are around 240lb. Most would stay the same. It's the lower divisions that might change slightly.

this none of the top hws couldnt make 220 if they wanted so you would essential be trading hw for cw thats thinner thats all thats accomplished here since hw would become completely irrelevant in short order with all the top fighters dropping to cw and all the lhws staying were there at b/c why fight bigger guys if your doing fine were your at.

mid-sized HW's would go where the comp would be easiest, as would LHW's who can't cut to MW and who can't beat/get to Jones, while Cain wouldn't give up his HW champ status.

So, you have Jones, Gus, Davis, DC, Rumble and Hendo as for now stay at LHW, but Glover and possibly Rashad go fight undersized at 220 against each other or someone like JDS, Roy, Nog, AA or Mir for the vacant belt.

While BF, Browne, Hunt, Struve and Reem would try to dethrone Cain.

It would be a div of outcasts, lol, and HW would be thin as a rake.

Last edited:
I feel like adding a cruiserweight division is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Heavyweight shouldn't have an upper limit.

It's retarded.

If there was a Cruiserweight div. the 265 limit would have to be abolished.

They're just trying to stop Bob Sapp from coming in and laying waste to the roster with the 65 limit.

Agree with your sentiments... Minus the sapp sarcasm of course.

As a wrestler who weighed 220, but wrestled in the 275 class I could never give a fuck how big the guys were. Wanna bring in a guy at 315? Fine. Some guys like going against larger, slower competition.

Cain would still dominate.

Back