If there was a cruiserweight division, which of these scenarios happens most?

Street Level

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know cruiserweight discussion is kinda lame....buuuuut if the weight limit was 220 would we see A- more lhw's moving up to avoid a weight cut
B-more of the smaller hws trying to cut down to 220
C-guys like Bones, Cormier, Cain and a few others trying to be 2 division champs
Which out of A or B do you see having better results?
I say B would pan out better.
That actually would let Jbj and Cain fight.
We also could potentially see a guy like Cormier be a 3 division champ!?!?
That would be fucking nuts lol

My threads usually go nowhere and I have hi hopes on this one guys...haha

I really think a cruiserweight division is a great idea.
More fighters, more champs, more fights.

A and B for me.

The way you mapped out all three options sound very realistic and actually quite exciting.

While I'm sure a pessimist can come up with three equally bad scenarios but as an optimist, I think A, B and especially C sound really exciting.

More division hoping.

I'd say almost half the HWs in the UFC could make LHW within a year if motivated.

I really think a cruiserweight division is a great idea.
More fighters, more champs, more fights.

A and B for me.

The argument u see against a division in between was always that HW was too thin (lhw to some extent too). But with guys the size of Pat Barry, Cain, Bones DC, Henderson, Gus (does he cut?), Jimmo and a few others could all fight each other in that division.
Do all of those guys "fit" in that division?

Cain eats a couple of salads and fucks everyone's world up

They need team MMA where you have to add up to no more than 500 lbs per team. Think about the possibilities.

4 Flyweights? MM, McCall, Benavidez, and Doc
2 Lightweights and a Middleweight? Pettis, Bendo, and Weidman?
2 Welterweights and a Lightweight? Lawler, Hendrixxx, and Khabib?
2 Heavyweights? Cain and JDS?

Seriously, which of those would you pick? SERIOUSLY?? OMG MY POST IS SO AWESOME

The way you mapped out all three options sound very realistic and actually quite exciting.

While I'm sure a pessimist can come up with three equally bad scenarios but as an optimist, I think A, B and especially C sound really exciting.

Thanks. See my reply below and tell me if that makes sense too.

More division hoping.

I'd say almost half the HWs in the UFC could make LHW within a year if motivated.

You see though fighters can be ranked in 2 divisions.
Say 2 fighters that fought in 2 weightclasses fought eachother in one it wouldn't effect rankings in the other. I think guys would be able to be replacements and finding replacements would be easier...i think.

And I fully agree with getting down to lhw in a year. But having a class in between would make it feasible to do it alot quicker by staying somewhere in the middle.

They need team MMA where you have to add up to no more than 500 lbs per team. Think about the possibilities.

Lol! I've said the same exact thing here before lmao! I was joking of course, but this is a good topic I think. Don't be a sarcastic knucklehead and derail my shit. MUAH!

I think I would pick the 2 heavyweights by the way. It would be hilarious to see 2 HWs vs 4 FLWs, with the flyweights doing team attacks like one of them doing a dropkick while another one does a barrel roll through the legs. Ok I'll stop

I like the idea and all three scenarios seem plausible. Honestly though, if they are going to add a Cruiserweight division they'd need to move the divisions around a bit. Currently, LW on down constitutes more than half of the weight classes and the first five weight classes cover only sixty pounds while the last two cover eighty pounds. That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I think I would pick the 2 heavyweights by the way. It would be hilarious to see 2 HWs vs 4 FLWs, with the flyweights doing team attacks like one of them doing a dropkick while another one does a barrel roll through the legs. Ok I'll stop

Just imagine if the heavies got a fly against the cage. MAAAUUUULLLLIIINNNGGGG!
Yikes.

Here is what happens:

1. Cain picks whichever division between HW/CW he wants and dominates it.
2. JDS goes to the other one and dominates it.
3. Current HWs split randomly (aside from the 2-3 guys who couldn't make it to 220) between HW and CW.
4. No LHWs move up in weight.
5. HW and CW both get even shallower than HW is now and a lot of interesting HW matchups never happen because guys are arbitrarily in separate weight classes.

Cool story, right?

I like the idea and all three scenarios seem plausible. Honestly though, if they are going to add a Cruiserweight division they'd need to move the divisions around a bit. Currently, LW on down constitutes more than half of the weight classes and the first five weight classes cover only sixty pounds while the last two cover eighty pounds. That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Thats just relative to the size of the guys at different weightclasses. And adding that class in would maybe slide it the way you think it should be. I don't like the top 2 classes being 60lbs apart. It would go to the top 3 being 60 apart. Sound better?

IMO if there was a CW class, Jones would remain the LHW champ and Cormier would be the champ @ 220.

Back