If the UFC wants us to take Flyweight seriously they need to hire smaller refs.

This may have been a naïve assumption but I took it for granted that by and large, the refs they employ are competent. In any case, the pattern is definitely consistently assigning big refs to referee fights between small fighters, not consistently assigning competent refs or consistently assigning incompetent ones.
I think it is just that most of the high profile refs are big guys like Big John, Big Dan, and Herb Dean, especially relative to flyweights. The example the TS posted is a title fight. They are not going to assign some Joe Blow to that match.

It sounds funny but its actually a good idea. They do this with singers who are short and hire back up dancers who are just as tall, you cant tell the singer is a midget.

manlets, when will they learn

It sounds funny but its actually a good idea. They do this with singers who are short and hire back up dancers who are just as tall, you cant tell the singer is a midget.
we need more posters that dislike the alt right to balance out with all the crazy libertarians

yes...

the answer is more manlets

WillFerrell_MoreCowbell.jpg

There was a super funny paint drawing of big john being like 3x as big as mm raising his hand.

I think this is a poor suggestion. The fraction of the area in the octagon that will be taken up by two fighters' static bodies is small regardless of what weight class they compete in. Rather, most of that space is there for the fighters to move in, and the flyweights are so much faster than the heavier fighters, I think they need more space, not less.
Wrong, based on your logic the UFC should make smaller cages for the heavyweight fighters so we can showcase their bone crushing power even more and have even faster 1st round KO's.

90% of MMA fans dont want to see 2 tiny guys disappear in the cage and use their superior speed and footwork to dodge each other. 125 is boring period. If it wasnt PPV numbers and demand for Johnon's fights would be higher. He is the most dominant fighter in the sport and nobody wants to see him fight for these reasons.

If the UFC wants fans to take the Flyweight division seriously they need to hire smaller referees. When you look at the picture of Big John standing between Mighty Mouse and Dodson it's hard to not be amused. It looks like a grown man refereeing a grammar school wrestling match between prepubescent boys. It's not a good look for the legitimacy of the division. If I didn't know anything about the UFC and suddenly turned my TV on at this moment I would be under the impression that the UFC is a fighting organization that has a Children's league.
demetriousjohnson_johndodson.jpg

Another suggestion I would make is getting a smaller cage for the flyweights. The current Octagon is too big for guys like Dodson, Benavidez, and Cejudo etc. When you look at these Flyweights in the normal sized Octagon it looks as if parents decided to find the biggest playpen they could find for their toddlers. Again, not a good look.
Man, people give you a hard time for your posts, but I genuinely think you have a point on this one.

It looks absolutely ridiculous seeing Dan Miragliotta towering above 5'3" men.

Good shout ;)

Wrong, based on your logic the UFC should make smaller cages for the heavyweight fighters so we can showcase their bone crushing power even more and have even faster 1st round KO's.

90% of MMA fans dont want to see 2 tiny guys disappear in the cage and use their superior speed and footwork to dodge each other. 125 is boring period. If it wasnt PPV numbers and demand for Johnon's fights would be higher. He is the most dominant fighter in the sport and nobody wants to see him fight for these reasons.

Dominant fighters can be boring regardless of size; the only Jon Jones championship fights I've found interesting are the ones he didn't dominate. Johnson's fights aren't my favourite viewing either but that doesn't generalise to the entire division; Horguchi and Ortiz, for instance, have styles I find very entertaining. Nor do I find that flyweights emphasize dodging each other. They need space to maneuver just like the other divisions do; they just cover it more quickly.

Lol sadly, this may work with a lot of self proclaimed "MMA fans".

Why not paint muscles on them?

If you need some sort of gimmick to get interested in FWs fight, why are you even watching? Will that really make the next 15 mins more endurable for you? Just don't watch it. That is more powerful than any post.

I agree with OP and this is a classic showbiz technique that isn't being utilized here. If the UFC wants men over 6' tall to look at these little fighters as somehow fearsome, they should probably be surrounded by people who uphold that image rather than instantly destroy it like BJM or Dan M. Even the long haired dirty blonde girl ref is too tall to make them look impressive.

I guess the other way of looking at it is, if you have to resort to circus techniques to make your fighters look fearsome, then maybe you shouldn't have that division to begin with. I'd be fine with the UFC as it was pre-WEC pre-WMMA, just pure 155 men's and up, with those other divisions getting entire leagues dedicated to them, like the WEC for the manlets and Invicta for the women. Afterall, the NBA is wise enough to not force me to watch WNBA in order to enjoy the NBA, and the UFC shouldn't force me to watch WMMA or midget MMA to enjoy MMA.

For example Arnold and Sylvester made their careers massive in the 1980's by strategically never appearing on camera next to a man of 6' in height or taller.

Back