1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

If the UFC invested in Men’s flyweight...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Matthew Fedler, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Matthew Fedler Professional Fighter Professional Fighter

The recent Formiga cut reminded me of what could have been with the division if the UFC brass actually cared about it.

- DJ traded after losing a split decision for the title after a record-breaking reign — denying fans a Cejudo trilogy bout in the process.

- Cejudo given a title shot at 135 after a single title defence.

- Horiguchi allowed to fight out his contract and leave on a 3-fight win streak with a 7-1 UFC record and his only loss to DJ.

- McCall cut after losing to an overweight Lineker, despite winning two prior fights and only losing to Joe B and DJ otherwise.

- Bagautinov leaves the UFC with a 4-3 record after a loss to Horiguchi.

- Formiga cut after losing to two fighters currently tied at #1 in the rankings and the #4 soon-to-be title challenger, despite holding a relatively recent win over the current champion.

- Dodson cut after a loss to Merab at 135, when rumours of/calls for a 125 return began to pick up steam.

- Moraga cut after losing to the current champion, which ended a 3-fight win streak.

- Pettis leaves the UFC on a win over Nam for Bellator.

- Bibulatov cut after going 0-2 in the UFC despite a 14-2 overall record (17-2 now with three straight KO’s), both fights against ranked opponents and the final fight being a split decision.

Demetrious Johnson
    Henry Cejudo
    Cody Garbrandt
    Joseph Benavidez
    Deiveson Figueiredo
    Kyoji Horiguchi
    John Dodson
    Sergio Pettis
    Brandon Moreno
    Askar Askarov
    Alex Perez
    Jussier Formiga
    Brandon Royval
    Alexandre Pantoja
    Kai Kara-France
    Ali Bagautinov
    Ian McCall
    Manel Kape
    Tyson Nam
    John Moraga
    Magomed Bibulatov

Even just a few of the fighters mentioned would boost 125 in a big way — five to seven would put it up there with 135 and 145 in terms of depth.

TL;DR — ‘Flyweights don’t sell’ was a self-fulfilling prophecy that didn’t need to be.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  2. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

Agree with you.

The "manlets won't sell" narrative is BS as well. Literally the next division to it (135) is almost universally liked by all MMA fans (and rightfully so).

The UFC indeed was horrendously stupid to not put more effort into marketing 125, especially when DJ was the champ.

3. DarthChen731 Gold Belt

Indeed. Shit is wack, I always liked flyweight.

4. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I agree, it wasn’t a talent issue, it was mismanagement

5. SaigeVanZant Silver Belt

I don't know what the deal is with 125. If Figueiredo beats Perez he'll probably want a BW Title shot. What if he misses weight again?

6. beephin Red Belt

Make Flyweight Great Again

bring back Mighty Mouse

Jose Beehive and Ironnik94 like this.
  7. Matthew Fedler Professional Fighter Professional Fighter

I think DJ losing the belt was a big opportunity for the division. A trilogy with Cejudo could have been big and regardless of who won you would then have a former champion in the division for up and coming contenders to potentially build their names on.

Either of them could headline/co-headline shows against Kai Kara-France in New Zealand, Moreno in Mexico, Askarov in Russia, Figueiredo/Formiga/Pantoja in Brazil, etc. without a belt on the line.

reigning terroe and Ironnik94 like this.
  8. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

I don't necessarily feel like Dustin Ortiz, Sergio Pettis, John Moraga and Ben Nguyen should have been fucked off either. Oh and Jarred Brooks for that matter.

Jarred had a split decision loss to the now Champ, and then accidentally KO'd himself in a Slam and was axed lol, he's not lost in his 4 fights since then.

EDIT: Sorry hadn't fully read the first post in totality before contributing with mine, clearly Pettis and Moraga were already mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  9. PizzaandBeer Banned Banned

I wish they done away with the flyweights, anything under bantamweight is boring

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  10. Paolo Delutis Silver Belt

I never understood the hate they got... DJ was constantly shit on in here while he was wrecking guys and making it look easy ...

If the UFC has a problem with 125, then u should have a problem with everything below 155 then cuz those division are all interchangeable as we seen with aldo and frankie and cejudo

Chael_Sonnen and Jose Beehive like this.
  11. Paolo Delutis Silver Belt

This literally makes no sense

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  12. Matthew Fedler Professional Fighter Professional Fighter

I’m not sure what the UFC will do, but I would be making championship weight if I were Moreno/Royval (or Calvillo given Maia’s history).

If it were up to me Moreno vs Perez would fight in the co-headliner for the vacant belt (Shevchenko would headline) and Figueiredo would fight Royval on the undercard if he were medically cleared to compete.

SecondToNone likes this.
  13. RicardinhoPT Brown Belt

I didn't know Formiga got cut, makes no sense...

14. superpunch Banned Banned

FLWs make the most money p4p. Not sure what you're complaining about.

15. superpunch Banned Banned

It's a hard sell for sure. At 125 in MMA, you start getting guys with weird body proportions kind of like midgets and it makes it hard to watch. It just takes you out of the fight, and you end up focusing more on how weird the guys look than the actual fight.

IMO that's why Mighty Mouse was so unpopular. He actually looked like a midget. Cejudo just looked really short, but almost normal proportions, and so he was a lot easier to watch and enjoy fight.

16. TITS ASS Platinum Member

It must have been a contract negotiation/money issue with Formiga, because I can't imagine why they wouldn't at least want to keep him around for Figgy to avenge that loss. It would be good marketing, the champ vs the only guy to ever beat him. Just let Formiga get a couple of wins against anyone in the flyweight division then book the rematch.

17. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

What about DJ in particular would you say looks different compared to Cejudo?

18. Mmmmmmma1234 Silver Belt

Most of those names fought a good chunk of their careers at 135, the 'investment' the ufc did/does make just shows how they're watering down BW which should be stacked for this pointless belt.

19. Mmmmmmma1234 Silver Belt

They're definitely going to book Garbrandt vs figueiredo again after he wins.
    Failure to make weight figueiredo is essentially stripped of the title then and there.
    Figueiredo vs Perez would still fight presumably, with a figueiredo win the belt would be considered vacant.

20. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

McCall is retired and looked shot anyway. Bagautinov is moving more towards boxing lately (they were using him as kind of a barometer for signing people, a couple of guys who beat him recently got signed).

Imo they should definitely re-sign Dustin Ortiz, Jarred Brooks, Matheus Nicolau, Shorty Torres and Bibulatov. Horiguchi would be a no brainer if he decided he wanted to rejoin.

Azamat Keferov and like 5 or 6 other guys from the ACA FLW division would be good signings too.