If the UFC cant make me care about a fighter, why should I care or watch their fights?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Not A Real Fan, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Not A Real Fan

Not A Real Fan Purple Belt

If I have no reason to care about a fighter, why should I or anybody bother to watch them fight? Because of a 1 in 10 chance they may pull off a FOTN? Nope, not gonna watch.

Let's pretend McGee-Steele did not take place yet. Why should I watch this fight? No one is forcing me to watch it (and I didn't). But I want to watch fights as opposed to not want to watch fights. And the UFC should want to put on fights fans want to watch.

After 11 fights in the UFC, I should care at least somewhat about Court McGee. But bro McGee is a boring decision machine! So why is he even on the roster then? Why is he taking up a spot that can be used by another fighter? It's not like he is not 4-4 in his last 8?

You know who else was a decision machine? GSP. Yet the UFC and fans are dying to get him back.

You can't possibly turn 500 fighters into 500 superstars but that means that there should not be 500 fighters in the UFC in the first place. The 78th ranked LW does not belong in the UFC.

Hopefully the new Hollywood owners of the UFC can cut the fat and make us care about the remaining fighters.

Care about a fighter = care and be invested in their fights

Don't care about a fighter = who cares about their fights

2. Fahcough

Fahcough Black Belt

Bro nod.

Was thinking this yesterday. Why don't they cut everyone ranked under #50. And the women.

To be a UFC caliber fighter isn't even impressive watching some of this crap.

3. AceCooch

AceCooch Ace Land

Don't be a chode

4. HHJ

HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

I like to watch MMA. I dont need to know who is fighting to sit down and watch a fight. If thats what it took id be a casual,and ive been into mma since the 90s.

5. Cygnus-X

Cygnus-X Red Belt

This is a negative side effect of the UFC's very conscious effort to make the brand the star and not the fighters.

wellsdj1 and FierceHitman like this.
  6. 20falarVerdades

20falarVerdades Red Belt

7. THECYNDlCATE

THECYNDlCATE Inspector/Judge MMA/KB/Boxing

You are going to get hate, but you are right.

This is what made Pride and old UFC so great. They built stars. It gave you motivation. The UFC has had no motivation for a while now.

wellsdj1 likes this.
  8. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Love the username TS

phys_therapy likes this.
  9. OMGstreetfight

OMGstreetfight Fred Loya Insurance shill

Username explains it all.

phys_therapy likes this.
  10. FadeLess

FadeLess Red Belt

I agree Mcgee is a bit boring , but he is a great guy.
    And your just being lazy imo ... you can allways do your own research on fighters background and follow theyre social media to get to know them better.
    There are lots of great fighters that are great guys.
    And when they fight, they show who they are , so its an important part of the story.
    The action is the juice.

11. HHJ

you have to understand that Pride didnt have the number of fighters or fights back then. Yes they did a great job to encourage a fighters individuality,but its easier to do so when you run one card every two months.

12. DLX

DLX thpinal

Enjoying my athleticism and explosiveness
    It's good to have gatekeepers. You need someone to test out up and comers. You also need guys on the roster to fill in when someone pulls out. If the entire roster was only guys in the top 15, It would be less interesting because if someone gets knocked off but they're a good fighter, UFC would have cut because they;re stock would drop being that there's no fighters on the roster to make them look good. You need tune up fights. Also, it's better to gt guys early in their careers before other promotions snag him up.

The problem is, this was just a terrible card full of Gk vs GK. The only guy on this card that ISN'T meant to be a gatekeeper was Yair Rodriguez.

phys_therapy likes this.
  13. IDGETKTFO

IDGETKTFO White Belt

Just resort to what i do. I place a dollar bet on each fight, $2 bet on co-main, and $5 bet on main . So no matter how boring fight is, i have a reason to get excited.

wellsdj1 and TheRassler like this.
  14. THECYNDlCATE

THECYNDlCATE Inspector/Judge MMA/KB/Boxing

And that is part of the problem. It's pretty easy to correct that.

Back when the UFC started to have more shows and adding more fighters, many of us said it was a mistake.

15. HHJ

Im not sure if it is. I certainly felt it was too much at the time,but now MMA is on all the time,just like boxing and other sports are on all the time.I dont see the harm in that. Its not necessary to watch every card that happens,but someone will.

phys_therapy likes this.
  16. The guest

The guest Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Don't...

Don't watch and don't post. Everybody will be happier in the long run.

HHJ and Tiradentes like this.
  17. Tuf_guy

Tuf_guy Silver Belt

Only reason I can think of is doing it in hopes of becoming a real boy, I mean fan. (seriously, that just unconsciously came out and I went with it)

Pinocchio-like is Threadstarter in his not being real at something, Joe.

Edit:
    Maybe if we, as a community, put our money together as a collective... then start a kickstart, and use the combined $78 we're able to scrape together to buy Lotto tickets... maybe we can buy back WEC and take the. 145lbrs and down (and 1/3 of the 155'ers).
    We get entertaining MMA on Sundays, and the UFC will be a little less overcrowded. Boom.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  18. Abazzdeboom

Abazzdeboom Legend in the making

UFC wants to have its divisions as deep as possible, which ends in having some fighters that doesnt make the league looks like ultimate elite
    But I believe the UFC is trying to change that by signing many more foreigns existing fighters
    So maybe in a few years it'll be different but I agree that I wouldnt want to pay the ppv for a card full of name I dont give a buck about

phys_therapy likes this.
  19. edirp

edirp Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

TS is right, you know. I mean why should I care about Yair Rodriguez, Mighty Mouse, or Sergio Pettis? I never will.

20. DIABOLUS

DIABOLUS Banned Banned

I thought this was going to be a Demetrious Johnson thread LOL.

HHJ likes this.