News If Sugar Is so Bad for Us, Why Is the Sugar in Fruit Ok?

@TidWell What's up with you and all these nutrition related threads? Are you sherdog's leading nutrition expert?

Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide made of glucose + fructose. Digestive enzymes break the bond between the two molecules. Glucose can be used by all the cells in the body. However cells can't use fructose, it can only be sent to the liver. The liver has a limited capacity to process fructose. First it tops off glycogen stores (if not already full), and then the excess is transformed directly into fat through lipogenesis. Triglycerides produced are then stored in liver (fatty liver), which causes insulin resistance on the long term and more is sent through blood circulation causing a rise in LDL cholesterol (the lipoprotein responsible for the transport of triglycerides and cholesterol which can deposit in the arteries).

Fruits contain fiber and water that slow down digestion. So their overall impact on blood sugar is negligible. You don't get the immediately lipogenesis that table sugar provokes, and also not the insulin spike. But it depends on the glycemic load of the particular fruit. Ignore glycemic index because it doesn't take it account typical portion sizes and fiber + water content. For instance watermelon has a high GI, but it's actually it's one the best GL fruits because of the very high water content.

I've personally never heard someone say that they don't eat fruit because the sugar is the same as other sugar. But I'm pretty sure I'd look at them as if they were dumb as fuck.

Crossfit gyms say it often.

Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide made of glucose + fructose. Digestive enzymes break the bond between the two molecules. Glucose can be used by all the cells in the body. However cells can't use fructose, it can only be sent to the liver. The liver has a limited capacity to process fructose. First it tops off glycogen stores (if not already full), and then the excess is transformed directly into fat through lipogenesis. Triglycerides produced are then stored in liver (fatty liver), which causes insulin resistance on the long term and more is sent through blood circulation causing a rise in LDL cholesterol (the lipoprotein responsible for the transport of triglycerides and cholesterol which can deposit in the arteries).

Fruits contain fiber and water that slow down digestion. So their overall impact on blood sugar is negligible. You don't get the immediately lipogenesis that table sugar provokes, and also not the insulin spike. But it depends on the glycemic load of the particular fruit. Ignore glycemic index because it doesn't take it account typical portion sizes and fiber + water content. For instance watermelon has a high GI, but it's actually it's one the best GL fruits because of the very high water content.
You are mixing facts and false information at the same time. Please stop

Fruit has fiber which slows the sugar effecting your insulin. Some fruit is also very low sugar and it also has vitmans you need.

But yes you can get fat from fruit. It just doesn't happen as much as ppl who pig out on snickers and soda and potato chips. The average american is too lazy to peel and chew fruit when they can just chug a cola

Whole fruits are a great source of nutrients like fiber and hardly have enough fructose to do any harm.

We hear regularly from health organisations and experts that we should eat less sugar. But we’re also told we should eat more fruit.

All types of sugar will give us the same amount of calories, whether they are from fruit or soft drink. But the health risks of eating sugar are related to consuming too many “free sugars” in the diet, not from eating sugars that are naturally present in fruits or milk.

Types of Sugar in Food
Sugar in food and drinks comes in various forms. Sugar molecules are classified as monosaccharides (single sugar molecules such as glucose and fructose) and disaccharides (more complex structures such as sucrose and lactose).

Fruit contains natural sugars, which are a mix of sucrose, fructose and glucose. Many people have heard that sugar is bad, and think that this must also therefore apply to fruits.

But fructose is only harmful in excess amounts, and not when it comes from fruit. It would be incredibly difficult to consume excessive amounts of fructose by eating whole fruits.

It’s much easier to consume excess sugar from foods and drinks that contain “free sugars”.

Free sugars include these same sugars (fructose, glucose, sucrose), but in this case they have been removed from their naturally occurring source (rather than being eaten as natural parts of fruits, dairy products, and some vegetables and grains). This includes sugar that is added to food and drinks by food companies, cooks or consumers.

Health Risks Come From Free Sugars, Not Fruits
Evidence shows that the health risks from sugars, such as tooth decay and unhealthy weight gain, are related to consuming too many free sugars in the diet, not from eating sugars that are naturally present in fruits or milk.

For this reason it is recommended that no more than 10 percent of your daily calories come from free sugars. For the average adult, this is about 50g or only slightly more than the amount of sugar in a can of regular soft drink or soda. It’s estimated that Australians get around 60 percent (65g) of their sugar intake from free sugars.

Foods that are sources of free sugars, such as juices, soft drinks, biscuits and lollies, are often high in calories and have little other nutritional value. It is often easy to consume more of them compared with fresh fruit and they also may be replacing other nutritious foods in the diet.

Consider a bottle of fruit juice – you would have to eat six whole oranges to get the same amount of sugar you consume in the juice. And because the fruit is in juice form, it counts towards your daily limit of free sugars.

Calories from drinks that contain sugar often become an addition to the calories you are eating from food, which may lead to weight gain over time.

Eating large amounts of dried fruit is also not a good idea if you are limiting your sugar intake. Through the process of removing water from the fruit, nutrients are concentrated, such that dried apricots, for example, contain about six times as much sugar (40g per 100g) as fresh apricots (6g per 100g).

We Need to Eat Fruit
Unlike many foods that are high in free sugars, fruits are packaged with lots of nutrients that help provide us with a balanced diet for good health.

For starters, fruit is an excellent source of fibre. An average banana will provide 20-25 percent (6g) of your recommended daily fibre intake. Getting enough fibre in the diet is important for protecting against bowel cancer. There is clear room for improvement in our fibre intake – adults in many countries consume only about half of the recommended amount each day (25g for Aussie women and 30g for Aussie men).

The fibre in fruit, which is often absent in many foods and drinks with free sugars, may also help to fill you up, which means you eat less overall at a meal. It’s not clear exactly why this is, but it could be related to the volume of the food (especially compared with liquids) and the chewing involved.

Fruit is also a good source of other nutrients such as potassium, which can help lower blood pressure, and flavonoids, which may reduce your risk of heart disease.

There is evidence that eating whole fruits (alone and in combination with vegetables) reduces your chances of dying from cancer, obesity and heart disease.

Despite this, only about 50 percent of Australians eat at least two pieces of fruit per day.

Most national dietary guidelines encourage eating fruits and vegetables, with an emphasis on the vegetables. To try and eat your recommended two pieces of fruit per day remember that a piece could be a banana, apple or orange, or two smaller fruits like plums or apricots, or a cup of grapes or berries.

When it comes to other sources of sugars, try to choose foods that have little or no sugar listed in the ingredient list, and drink water instead of sugary beverages when you are thirsty.

Kacie Dickinson is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian and a Lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics at Flinders University.

Jodi Bernstein is a PhD Candidate in Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...he-sugar-in-fruit-ok?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Fruit is a whole food, nothing in fruit is processed food, sugar we get is extracted and processed… fruit is the best food for human.

Doo you think bananas are natural? They are insanely modified by humans to increase sugar content. They are terrible for you. SugAr is sugar.

I learned in my high school health class that your brain uses it to function. Like, for immediate fuel. That's why people feel an altered level of consciousness when their blood sugar is low ie diabetics.

Edit: How could I forget. ATP is converted from glucose and you need ATP. Human beings always looking for the ONE boogie man. It's a delicate balance and you need it all. How long until we're back to anti-fat lol
After I do some complicated work, I feel really hungry. I remember a Japanese drama about this genius police lab tech said something about your brain needs sugar.

What is your favorite fruits?
The fruits of my labor.

And Fruit of the Loom:

fruit-of-the-loom-womens-3pk-breathable-seamless-bikini-briefs-color-may-vary-9-multicolored

It's not really "okay" as it still contains fructose and glucose which have metabolic consequences when they are consumed... But fruit also has vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, and water, while candy is basically void of nutrition. There is also much less sugar in a bowl of fruit than a bowl of say chocolate ice cream.

Really everything is "bad" for you. Breathing is really bad for you. It causes tons of oxidative damage and it shortens your life. So forget about sugar best way to stay young and healthy is to stop breathing.

Fruits are fine, just dont eat a lot of it.

I don't mind a smoothie or smoothie bowl every now and then, or a piece of fruit

Fruit is a whole food, nothing in fruit is processed food, sugar we get is extracted and processed… fruit is the best food for human.

I will go out on a limb here and say vegetables are better than fruit as food for humans....

You are mixing facts and false information at the same time. Please stop

45-hours nutrition class in university. Please tell me more about the "false information" - I'll be sure to let the chemistry department and the PhD teacher know the great, not-at-all-retarded Boingyman on the internet has spoken and knows better than they do.

45-hours nutrition class in university. Please tell me more about the "false information" - I'll be sure to let the chemistry department and the PhD teacher know the great, not-at-all-retarded Boingyman on the internet has spoken and knows better than they do.

Numerous post secondary nutrition classes as well. Ive given up rebutting dumbshits on here.

Back