If Siver beats McGregor, would the upset be as big as Matt Serra defeating GSP?

No, it wouldn't even really be that big of an upset.

Betting odds sure say otherwise, Conor is as big a favorite at the books as GSP was over Serra in the first fight.

I agree that personally I wouldn't be quite as shocked if Siver wins, but I'd be pretty damn surprised.

Oh for the love of god. Conor is ranked what #5?
The only people that would consider it a "huge" upset are the delusional huggers

it would be equivalent to the Kraken defeating Perseus.

Not at all, Ryo Chonan's upset of Siva, Werdum's upset of Fedor and Dillashaw's upset of Barao are the only comparable ones.

It cannot be as big of an upset as GSP/Serra if there are people who think it is within the realm of possibility. Conor isn't making his first title defense yet either, let's not pretend he is the top fw yet. Anyone that compares Conor to GSP at that point probably wasn't watching MMA at that point in time, and consequently doesn't really completely understand the context of GSP/Serra 1.

Well, we will never know if that upset would be as "big" because reality - as we know it - would unravel if Siver beat Conor. We would all cease to exist.

Jarl

I agree with it being more like Petruzelli beating Kimbo Slice, except with a lot less people watching it.

Lol... then Conor would go on to become an amazing smothering wrestler that no one could stop!

Oh for the love of god. Conor is ranked what #5?
The only people that would consider it a "huge" upset are the delusional huggers

This. Not even in the top 50 upsets of all times.

Nah that was massive especially how it happened. Penn & Hughes was another big shock at the time.

Nah that was massive especially how it happened. Penn & Hughes was another big shock at the time.

I'd say that the way it happened was by far the most likely way Serra could win, but it's still an extreme upset.

Everyone seems outraged by the suggestion, but the odds for the two fights are about the same. It's not as significant a fight, but it would be as surprising.

Back