If Ronda comes back should opponent talk trash to "sell" the fight?

If Holly, she won't say much as is her way. If Tate, she will talk but will mean little since the results of the first 2 fights.

Most people around here love the drama as long as it is their favorite fighter slinging the crap.

Diggem nailed it. A majority on sherdog is ok with fighter bashing and loves the viciousness, as long as it's not at the expense of their crush. But If you tell them that, they have a nervous break down, and they run to the mods, their mommy, and anyone that will listen.

It's pathetic.

Conor can absolutely destroy Lawler.

Anybody can say anything, that means nothing. Question is, do you have proof? Show me another female MMA fighter that's managed to generate the kind of attention and headlines like Ronda has with their trash talking, and I mean trash talking that doesn't use Ronda's name. You can't, because they don't exist, it's purely your imagination. If Ronda was nothing special, how how come she's the first transcendent mainstream star of the sport?

The reason honda generated headlines is because there was a concerted effort between the mainstream media, and the hype machine, to get behind her and use her as a poster child for a woman that can beat up men... "look, science has finally lost the battle against our politics.'

If the mainstream media hadn't pushed her like the lunch time special... no one would have cared, except those that bought into the "once evar" lines here on SD.

Only if Tate win. I prefer classy Holm.

The reason honda generated headlines is because there was a concerted effort between the mainstream media, and the hype machine, to get behind her and use her as a poster child for a woman that can beat up men... "look, science has finally lost the battle against our politics.'

If the mainstream media hadn't pushed her like the lunch time special... no one would have cared, except those that bought into the "once evar" lines here on SD.

It's always a handshake between the media and the individual. It requires work on both parties. Nobody can do it without media hype, but no amount of media hype is going to work on someone who just doesn't have it. People are going to pay attention to whom they want to pay attention to, barring a nationwide government brainwashing conspiracy. Rousey wasn't born into a famous family where there is automatic hype, like a Presley or an Ali, she had to get everyone else on board to hype her. She was the one that got the hype train going, including the once ever hyperbole, people talked about her and believed her in that light, that's special talent right there. None of these other girls could pull it off.

It's always a handshake between the media and the individual. It requires work on both parties. Nobody can do it without media hype, but no amount of media hype is going to work on someone who just doesn't have it. People are going to pay attention to whom they want to pay attention to, barring a nationwide government brainwashing conspiracy. Rousey wasn't born into a famous family where there is automatic hype, like a Presley or an Ali, she had to get everyone else on board to hype her. She was the one that got the hype train going, including the once ever hyperbole, people talked about her and believed her in that light, that's special talent right there.

No I didn't mention conspiracy theories or rich families.
I'm saying that the ufc and media CHOSE her because she fit the bill for what they wanted to push.
There's nothing special about her, except right place and right time.

WMMA was full of cans at the time, except for cyborg, so it was only a small challenge to protect honda from cyborg.
Other than that, just have rogan hype her to the moon, and obtain the backing of the sports media, with other mainstream stars soon to follow.

She moves the needle because the public are cattle, and they are told that she moves the needle. They are told: this is what everyone already likes, so if you don't like it you are weird, and you suck, so of course they go with it, and the tail wags the dog. This is the foundation of social media.

No I didn't mention conspiracy theories or rich families.
I'm saying that the ufc and media CHOSE her because she fit the bill for what they wanted to push.
There's nothing special about her, except right place and right time.

Yes, and that's exactly what makes her special - the ability to make people, the media, the company pay attention to and back you, that's what being a star is all about. You could say this to just about any major star: somebody higher up CHOSE to sign him or her, because they fit certain bill. Nobody becomes a star in a vacuum. Having the x-factor doesn't mean having the ability to blow up by yourself, it means having the ability to have others make the concious decision of paying attention to you, and Ronda Rousey, whether you like her or not, has the ability to capture media and casual attention like no other.

The public cattle has been told about Aldo P4P, Jones P4P, Mighty Mouse P4P for a long time, yet none of them can pull like Rousey, or a Conor.

Yes, and that's exactly what makes her special - the ability to make people, the media, the company pay attention to and back you, that's what being a star is all about. You could say this to just about any major star: somebody higher up CHOSE to sign him or her, because they fit certain bill. Nobody becomes a star in a vacuum. Having the x-factor doesn't mean having the ability to blow up by yourself, it means having the ability to have others make the concious decision of paying attention to you, and Ronda Rousey, whether you like her or not, has the ability to capture media and casual attention like no other.

LOL, you make it sound so grand.

Being a white female in wmma at the right time, and being easily manipulated doesn't constitute "special".

The biggest factor here is that she was willing to do what Dana instructed her to do, at least until they got sandbagged by Holly, and honda found her pillow.

Holly doesn't get a Hype train because she doesn't play ball with Dana. She rolls with Jackson, and so naturally Dana isn't getting behind that.

But I'm being realistic here, about real life politics that drive outcomes.
If this is a competition of worshiping our faves, then I'll lose.

LOL, you make it sound so grand.

Being a white female in wmma at the right time, and being easily manipulated doesn't constitute "special".

The biggest factor here is that she was willing to do what Dana instructed her to do, at least until they got sandbagged by Holly, and honda found her pillow.

You could say this about anybody. Were the Beatles special? Was Elvis special? Was Jackie Chan special? Was Bill Gates special? Was Issac Newton special? Nah, you could make an argument about all of them being at the right place at the right time. Those IFs and BUTs get you nowhere. Name me any MMA fighter and I could make the same argument. GSP? Nah, French Canadian who caught the rising tide at the right time. UFC pushed him hard, good company man who was willing to do as he was told --> nothing special. The bottom line is she has done what no women has done in combat sport, and no male fighter has done in MMA, that by definition, makes her special.

Uhhhhh... So, being arrogant, foul mouthed, disrespectful, and overall just generally a shitty person. Means you have stepped up your "Promotion" game ???

I'll take all the respectful fighters any day of the week, over the more trashy athletes.

I respect the Holly's, and GSP's, etc, way more. The Ronda's, and Conor's are bringing attention that is growing the sport. But in which direction ? Being good in the "Promotion" game seems too often to be... The opposite of what it takes to be good in the "Human Being" game.

This fuckin place ?

You could say this about anybody. Were the Beatles special? Was Elvis special? Was Jackie Chan special? Was Bill Gates special? Was Issac Newton special? Nah, you could make an argument about all of them being at the right place at the right time. Those IFs and BUTs get you nowhere. Name me any MMA fighter and I could make the same argument. GSP? Nah, French Canadian who caught the rising tide at the right time. UFC pushed him hard, good company man who was willing to do as he was told --> nothing special. The bottom line is she has done what no women has done in combat sport, and no male fighter has done in MMA, that by definition, makes her special.

Come on brah, I'm starting to believe you're a legit honda white knight. How can you even compare those people?

The beatles were a talented band. Elvis was a talented singer. Jackie is a talented martial artist.

Ronda is Kardashian. She is not a talented Mixed Martial Artist fighter.

A more fair comparison to ronda is Milli Vanilli. They got awards too.

milli.jpg

Come on brah, I'm starting to believe you're a legit honda white knight. How can you even compare those people?

The beatles were a talented band. Elvis was a talented singer. Jackie is a talented martial artist.

milli.jpg

The Beatles? Talented? LOL. There're countless more talented concert musicians who're professionally trained who'd blow the Beatles or Elvis out of the water in terms of actual instrumentation and singing skills. There're also countless professional dancers that would destroy them. I have live recordings of the Beatles 1964 performance at L'Olympia in Paris and they'd be eliminated from singing reality shows in the first round. They were horrible live singers and musicians, but the fans LOVED THEM. That's what makes them special.

The public might buy into them being once ever talents, just like the public bought into Rousey being a once ever athlete, but what really makes them special is not their talent in music, but the overall entertainment package they present and their ability to capture attention like none of these professional concert musicians or dancers can ever dream to. That's more or less what Ronda Rousey is.

Did I ever say she's a talented MMA fighter? LOL no. She's a better fighter than most of the secretaries and fitness bunnies she fights, but the minute she ran into a mediocre talent in Holly Holm with a legit strategy, she got washed. Fighting ability is not what makes Ronda Rousey special, just like instrumental and singing skills are not what makes the Beatles and Elvis special, if you believe that, you're buying into the hype like Rousey fanboys. She's special as an entertainer, because she can capture attention like no other.

So yeah, Ronda is in many ways Kim Kardashian, and yes, the Kardashians are special. A million girls whore themselves out online, but how many become hundred million dollar franchises like the Kardasians? That's special skill right there. It's never about your actual ability, it's all about how you can generate popcorn.

The Beatles? Talented? LOL. There're countless more talented concert musicians who're professionally trained who'd blow the Beatles or Elvis out of the water in terms of actual instrumentation and singing skills. There're also countless professional dancers that would destroy them. I have live recordings of the Beatles 1964 performance at L'Olympia in Paris and they'd be eliminated from singing reality shows in the first round. They were horrible live singers and musicians, but the fans LOVED THEM. That's what makes them special.

The public might buy into them being once ever talents, just like the public bought into Rousey being a once ever athlete, but what really makes them special is not their talent in music, but the overall entertainment package they present and their ability to capture attention like none of these professional concert musicians or dancers can ever dream to. That's more or less what Ronda Rousey is.

Did I ever say she's a talented MMA fighter? LOL no. She's a better fighter than most of the secretaries and fitness bunnies she fights, but the minute she ran into a mediocre talent in Holly Holm with a legit strategy, she got washed. Fighting ability is not what makes Ronda Rousey special, just like instrumental and singing skills are not what makes the Beatles and Elvis special, if you believe that, you're buying into the hype like Rousey fanboys. She's special as an entertainer, because she can capture attention like no other.

So yeah, Ronda is in many ways Kim Kardashian, and yes, the Kardashians are special. A million girls whore themselves out online, but how many become hundred million dollar franchises like the Kardasians? That's special skill right there. It's never about your actual ability, it's all about how you can generate popcorn.

Music is subjective... fighting skills not so much. But it wasn't me that brought that up.

People that are shit for entertainment become famous all the time, just like ronda.
Why the fuck is paris hilton famous? Because she's rich... is that a good reason?
Why is snooki famous? Because she moves the needle? LOL.

There's endless numbers of celebrities that are famous for no good reason, except right place, right time, and the hype machine got behind them.

Edit: ok, brah... I'm out. I'll catch up with yall later.

I doubt she will ever fight again but if Ronda comes back should her opponent talk major trash about her in order to "sell" the fight like Ronda and Conor do all the time? There is a lot of stuff that they could talk trash about because apparently anything is fair game according to how Ronda and Conor sell fights.

Should they talk about how Ronda is dating Travis and all that stuff with his wife?
Should they talk about how Ronda spoke about Sandy Hook and her 911 conspiracy?
What about all the issues between her mom and Edmund?
Maybe about how Ronda acted at the weigh ins against Holly?

There are lots of stuff a fighter could talk about in order to sell the fight and make big money doing it since that is all that matters in the UFC. I think everything is fair game nowadays.

It would make an interesting press conference that's for sure. As a Rousey fan, I would like to see how she would react to those questions when its coming from her opponent and not a member of the media.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, stop right there. the Beatles were in fact talented. many of the techniques and methods they used for recording were pioneering and still used today. being technically profficeint at an instrument is not the only measure of talent. They were able to craft songs, melodies and countless other things that made them special and talented.

milli.jpg

MV was not talented, but the people behind them who wrote their songs knew how to write a pop song, and that does take talent. There is a formula for trying to write a hit, and sometimes it works brilliantly.

Back