If Palhares weren't so ruthless, would he be as effective?

Maia, Lytle, kenFlo, Mir, Diaz, Cole Miller, Lauzon and Jim Miller all have similar or better records but with much cleaner reputations.

To OP, yes. Paul Harris would still be effective.

I've never heard of him holding subs too long in his own gym. I also know that when learning jiu jitsu, one thing you learn is when you have it and your opponent stops fighting, you should be feeling for a tap. He knows this too.

I've heard of this from two different sources. Hillary Williams posted about it (I think on the UG), and there's the Bustamante quote that gets floated around in Palhares threads. If you've missed those you can't have looked very hard.

I've heard of this from two different sources. Hillary Williams posted about it (I think on the UG), and there's the Bustamante quote that gets floated around in Palhares threads. If you've missed those you can't have looked very hard.
Seriously, everyone has heard Bustamante complain about the dude, and this is coming from dudes (Bustamante and his guys) who train as hard as possible.

Maia, Lytle, kenFlo, Mir, Diaz, Cole Miller, Lauzon and Jim Miller all have similar or better records but with much cleaner reputations.

While they may have similar or better records, they all have a lower wins : submission finish ratio.

Well he just got his title stripped and will likely be suspended. More for the eye gouges than the sub hold, but I'm sure that was factored in as well. I wonder if he'll ever learn?

Well he just got his title stripped and will likely be suspended. More for the eye gouges than the sub hold, but I'm sure that was factored in as well. I wonder if he'll ever learn?
That hasn't been the case in 7-8 years now, so I doubt it. This guy is fucking crazy.

I've never heard of him holding subs too long in his own gym. I also know that when learning jiu jitsu, one thing you learn is when you have it and your opponent stops fighting, you should be feeling for a tap. He knows this too.
Question: are you aware that David Lang is a fraud who is not qualified to promote anyone to black belt?

If you are, why then do you still advertise a false lineage in your sig (I see that you admitted that Lang forged Ismail's signature on your blog), as well as claim a rank that you do not hold (i.e. black belt)?

Last edited:
ask yourselves this

who was the first person to submitt jake shields in mma?

rousimar is awesome

ask yourselves this

who was the first person to submitt jake shields in mma?

rousimar is awesome

Whatever. He gouged the bejeezus out of him first. He was mounted and that was his main escape. Should have been a DQ, or allow Shields to gouge and headbutt. Rules only work if everyone adheres to them, so the outcome is skewed.

That said, Mayhem was about to choke him out. Shields was 100% saved by the bell, and it was legit.

Whatever. He gouged the bejeezus out of him first. He was mounted and that was his main escape. Should have been a DQ, or allow Shields to gouge and headbutt. Rules only work if everyone adheres to them, so the outcome is skewed.

Those gouges probably saved him from an arm triangle. Shields looked great the first two rounds, he was dominating on top, not allowing palhares and to spin under for a leg etc.

Catching that kimura off the takedown and coming on top for the finish was beautiful no doubt, but I agree it's skewed. I'm sure shields vision was messed up, and mentally he let his frustration with palhares and mazzagati affect his focus.... But he also looked gassed out too, to be fair

Bustamante came out and said he had injured multiple training partners and he had to talk to him several times

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/13/...s-rousimar-palhares-injured-training-partners

Those gouges probably saved him from an arm triangle. Shields looked great the first two rounds, he was dominating on top, not allowing palhares and to spin under for a leg etc.

Catching that kimura off the takedown and coming on top for the finish was beautiful no doubt, but I agree it's skewed. I'm sure shields vision was messed up, and mentally he let his frustration with palhares and mazzagati affect his focus.... But he also looked gassed out too, to be fair

Agree with this, Jake was good with his pressure. Don't think he would have taken nearly as much damage from those elbows if Paul Harris didn't keep peeling his head off with fingers in the eye.

Back