If Overeem gets the title, he'll lose it in the next fight

Cain's offence breaks on the rocks of Overeem's clinch, I think. That's how Cain lost the title: Werdum met his pressure in the clinch and used his height and length to keep him at bay, sapping his cardio with knees. Once winded, Cain was pieced apart at range.

Reem can apply this strategy even better. While physically diminished since the horsemeat era, he's still bigger, stronger and harder-hitting than Werdum, and his knees remain the deadliest in the division.

That said, I think Reem stuggles with Stipe, because while Stipe is, like Cain, a pressure-wrestler, he's taller and rangier than him.

This means he can apply the same sort of pressure as Cain, which does nullify Reem's outside game, based on leaping in and out with single, devastating shots. While Cain is vulnerable once inside, however, Stipe is less so – the leverage isn't quite right for Reem to halt his rush in the Thai clinch and punish his midsection.

These are two match-ups where the fighters' physical dimensions likely count for more than style or talent, I think.

Cain's offence breaks on the rocks of Overeem's clinch, I think. That's how Cain lost the title: Werdum met his pressure in the clinch and used his height and length to keep him at bay, sapping his cardio with knees. Once winded, Cain was pieced apart at range.

Reem can apply this strategy even better. While physically diminished since the horsemeat era, he's still bigger, stronger and harder-hitting than Werdum, and his knees remain the deadliest in the division.

That said, I think Reem stuggles with Stipe, because while Stipe is, like Cain, a pressure-wrestler, he's taller and rangier than him.

This means he can apply the same sort of pressure as Cain, which does nullify Reem's outside game, based on leaping in and out with single, devastating shots. However, unlike Cain, he is not so suscepitble to knees and uppercuts on the way in – the leverage isn't quite right for Reem to halt his rush in the Thai clinch and punish his midsection.

These are two match-ups where the fighters' physical dimensions likely count for more than style or talent.
The reason Cain lost to Werdum was because of cardio issues in my opinion. Werdum would have never beaten the Cain that fought @ 200 assuming that his cardio held up like it usually does, which is pretty assumable knowing that his cardio only failed him at high altitude because he went there only 2 weeks before the fight.

And rest of your comment is very well said & detailed, agreed. But i still think that Cain would beat Overeem in devastating fashion.

I think miocic is a small favourite against overeem. 60-40 for Miocic. But cain is reem's easiest matchup in the top 10. Cain is tailor-made for reem.

Overeem has some of the best TDD in the game, the way he brutalized Brock was masterful whike easily stuffing all of his TD''s.

The notion that Cain will win the fight off the cage, might happen, but I could easily see Overeem turning it into a Stand up fight.

Back