If Nick Diaz trained properly for his return could he be a Top 5 welterweight?

Nick Diaz is my favorite fighter ever probably, but he was never well rounded just as his brother

He is an exceptional fighter, tough as hell, fun, whatever you name it, but to be top 5 you need to check low kicks and have decent wrestling and takedown defense, that was never the case with Diaz bros... Still they are my favorite fighters

1. What evidence suggests that he was "extremely unmotivated" and not "committed to his training?" If you're looking for excuses, you'd be better off using age and rust.

2. I'm not sure I'd say Nick was ever really top 5. Even in his absolute prime circa 2012, I'd favor GSP, Hendricks, Fitch, Condit, and Shields over him.

No. Even in his absolute prime, he wasn’t a top 5 WW. Never had the wrestling.

I think he could give Burns, Edwards, and Thompson real issues if he trained properly and motivated.
You're an idiot. Nick always lost every time he fought top WWs

Nick returned out of shape, slow, and extremely unmotivated. With that being said he showed flashes of brilliance with his boxing combinations. I can’t help but think that if Nick was fully committed to his training and fighting again, he could be a Top 5 WW.
What do you think Sherbros?
it was a promising start, but then he folded quick sadly

That said, I truly believe that Diaz was once upon a time a top 5 welterweight. Even though he never beat an elite contender,
He beat the shit out of prime BJ Penn in basically a straight boxing match

it was a promising start, but then he folded quick sadly
Going toe to toe with Lawler for 3 rds isn't 'folding quickly'.

1. What evidence suggests that he was "extremely unmotivated" and not "committed to his training?" If you're looking for excuses, you'd be better off using age and rust.

2. I'm not sure I'd say Nick was ever really top 5. Even in his absolute prime circa 2012, I'd favor GSP, Hendricks, Fitch, Condit, and Shields over him.

the evidence is that he was not in shape.

Nick well past his prime.

If you include the amount of wars he has been in, that adds to his age significantly.

For fucks sake, just let go of Diaz.

He was never that good, he wouldn't be top 5 he wouldn't beat Usman.

"But... but if it was a 300 round fight he could win."

It's not. Get over it.

the evidence is that he was not in shape.
Nothing about that fight suggested he wasn't in shape. They kept up a furious pace for 3 rounds, all while taking heavy shots. They both seemed to be in great shape.

Nothing about that fight suggested he wasn't in shape. They kept up a furious pace for 3 rounds, all while taking heavy shots. They both seemed to be in great shape.

i could not disagree with you more frankly. he looked very out of shape both in appearance and mentally.

lol, prime Nick Diaz with his lack of TDD would lose to most of the top 10.

Nick being a great boxer os the only thing that kept that fight competitive. He’s old now. He’s not fast and he’s less durable. Hes spent his whole life in combat sports and that takes its toll. He shouldn’t want to fight anymore. He had a great career and that’s it. Yeah, it would be great to see a fighter with nicks prime abilities fighting now, but that no longer exists. Doesn’t matter how good of shape he gets in or how smart or hard he trains, he’ll never be able to even approach that state again.

No, its a GSP typenof fighter who you are thinking about.

The Diaz bros suck.
They're fan favourites because they take damage, spill blood and what not but they both just throw weak sloppy strikes in volume and always lose. Fuck em.
i like the diaz brothers, but this is basically true, and has been for some time.

nick seems like he's in a good place mentally, such that he can manage having a personal life without going to jail, getting involved in crime. that's nice to see. he should just focus on that from now on.

Back