If Nate's size was an excuse for Conor, most of his opponents can also use that excuse

dontlaugh

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
McGregor is 5ft9 with 74 reach, he's BIG when he fights at Featherweight. Nate is 6ft and has 76 reach, lanky, doesn't carry much muscle, fights at 155 yet his size was such a big factor in both fights ?

Then why we can't use the same argument against Conor vs his opponents at FW ?

Siver - 5ft7 (70 reach)
Aldo - 5ft7 (70 reach)
Mendes - 5ft6 (66 reach)
Brandao - 5ft7 (69 reach)
Brimage - 5ft4 (71 reach < wtf)
Holloway - 5ft11 BUT has 69.5 reach
Alvarez - 5ft9 (69 reach)
Poirier - 5ft9 (70 reach)

Only Nate and Holloway were bigger than Conor, only Nate had reach advantage on him.

He basically admits he has problems with fighters that are bigger than him when he says "To beat me you got to have size" in that video before the rematch with Nate. The only guy he fought with that is basically his size at LW is Joseph Duffy AND he lost.

So, Jon Jones got shit for having a giant wingspan and abusing the fuck out of it to win fights and many of his haters say he should be at HW.

Why McGregor doesn't get shit for doing the same ? Why can't McGregor opponents cry about how big he was at FW ? So he really wants smaller opponents and really has problems against anybody with almost the same reach or bigger ?

You need to not take pre / post fight hype so literally bruh.

I don't. i just wanna see why the double standards happen when it comes to crying about fighter's size. i'll get flame for doing the same the other way around, but they don't think of that before saying Nate was 3x his size.

it wasnt even an excuse because he said it after he beat his ass, then nate went on to make excuses right after he lost

Maybe mcgoober should stop ducking Edgar and have a real fight

"You beat up midgets"
Considering tha reach and size is important in MMA he really does fight midgets look at Mendes and Brandão's size...

If he has trouble with anybody that neutralizes his reach advantage, Tony Ferguson is nightmare for him.

McGregor's size did help him against his opponents. He's never said otherwise.

But you have an extremely negative view on the whole subject. "Why can't McGregor opponents cry about how big he was at FW ?" implies Conor "cried" about Nate's size. He brought up Nate's size as a reason behind the loss. And he's correct. Where does anyone crying come into play?

McGregor's size did help him against his opponents. He's never said otherwise.

But you have an extremely negative view on the whole subject. "Why can't McGregor opponents cry about how big he was at FW ?" implies Conor "cried" about Nate's size. He brought up Nate's size as a reason behind the loss. And he's correct. Where does anyone crying come into play?
The way he puts it is like "he only beat me because he he's bigger", as if size is the only thing that can beat him, yet he beats all of his opponents and size is never the reason.

Conor's obnoxious personality attracts uneducated, WWE caliber type of fans. You can't expect logic to reason with them

McGregor said it himself. They need attributes or it's not even a fair fight. If they are equal in size to McGregor commissions shouldn't even sanction the fight. It's not a fair event.

McGregor said it himself. They need attributes or it's not even a fair fight. If they are equal in size to McGregor commissions shouldn't even sanction the fight. It's not a fair event.

So the days of fighters like Edgar fighting at LW and being the champ despite being smaller than most are gone ?

The people who give Jones shit for having long arms are idiots. You make weight, it's your weight class.

Long arms are an advantage, but there are so many variables in MMA, that it's silly as hell to say it's unfair to have longer arms than your opponent.

I give Conor no grief for beating up FWs when he was one. I also don't give him praise for jumping up two weight classes, when he fought a guy who was only weight class up, but didn't have time to cut weight.

So the days of fighters like Edgar fighting at LW and being the champ despite being smaller than most are gone ?

It's not impossible. But they will need to be a higher caliber fighter than Frankie. If a fighter like Frankie came along, but had more knockout power, it could happen. Frankie accomplished what he did because of technical skill, but eventually the gap closes and better fighters emerge. Both physically and technically they improve. It's why we have weight classes. It's rare that someone like Conor can exist, where they dominate multiple weight classes.

It's like in the early days of power lifting you'd have a small guy lift the most weight. But now it's just not going to happen. The bigger lifters will carry more weight. The sport evolves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back