If Nate breaks Conor again, how big is the hit to McG's marketability/popularity?

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Conor has serious PPV muscle right now, that's obvious. His last 3 fights have done exceptionally well at the box office.

Some popular fighters keep their shine after high-profile losses, but some don't.

What do you think - if this rematch also ends with Nate fucking Conor up on the feet then making him tap, does Conor return to the ranks of mere PPV mortals, or even as a back-to-back loser is he able to command 1m+ buy rates?

Conor could lose 4 fights in a row and still be the biggest draw.

That is just what this "sport" has come to.

If he loses again he stays at 145 and loses a bit of muscle mass to make weight easier. Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven.

He's got plenty of marketability left in him, even with a few loses. As long as he is mostly winning while fighting top guys at 145 or 155, he'll still sell for a while.

He might lose his confidence. That would be a fundamental loss.
Conor can't allow himself losing. He knows it and this will be bothering him 10x times come fight night August 20th.

He's got plenty of marketability left in him, even with a few loses. As long as he is mostly winning while fighting top guys at 145 or 155, he'll still sell for a while.
He'll just say that he simply wasn't effective and that with a few adjustments he can win. The bad thing is that his fanboys will believe him.

He'll just say that he simply wasn't effective and that with a few adjustments he can win. The bad thing is that his fanboys will believe him.
I'm not a huge fan of his antics and shit, but I do like watching him fight. Honestly, his "fanboys" are probably the most annoying thing about him. But the dude is a legit fighter, and has a great resume over the last few years. I would love to see him at 155. I don't think he can win the belt there, but he could definitely have some great wars.

The most dominant characteristic in Conor fans is delusion, so I think conor's popularity will be fine.

If he loses to Nate now, he will be forced to fight Aldo, and I think he will only lose hype if he loses to Aldo and someone else, like Edgar, for example but not much hype, he´ll still have some of it left........ so, I imagine Connor is gonna do everything he can to promote and win the Diaz fight to keep the hype up.... let´s just imagine he beats Nate (not likely) this time around, it would catapult him to fight against the easier belt holder at that moment (lightweight or welterweight, he will even be able to choose the least difficult one for him). If he loses to that champ then he could go back and still make a trilogy with Nate before fighting ALDO (remember, he gets to choose who he fights, and Diaz wouldn´t mind getting richier and settling the score)... and if Gregor won the trilogy (just for the sake of argument), we all know it would be very possible for the UFC to give him another title fight at lightweight or welterweight again (the champion of the division he didn´t fight before or even a rematch at the champion, as he'd probably want another red panty night), only theeeeeen in case he loses, he´ll be forced to fight Aldo. This Diaz rematch bulshit is really an ace up his sleeve if he wins (I don´t agree with any of this BS they do, but we all know how UFC treats this guy)... so, it can still take long before he loses the hype.

I'm not a huge fan of his antics and shit, but I do like watching him fight. Honestly, his "fanboys" are probably the most annoying thing about him. But the dude is a legit fighter, and has a great resume over the last few years. I would love to see him at 155. I don't think he can win the belt there, but he could definitely have some great wars.
This. I remember seeing his debut and thinking "this guy's awesome" and the way he picked Holloway apart was amazing. The one thing that held me back as a fan was constantly cringing at his gimmicky fanboys constantly spouting McGoat and badmouthing Conor's opponents. It sucked seeing his streak break but seeing the idiots scatter was hilarious

If Conor loses he'll still be fast tracked into big fights like Lesnar was. The UFC will bleed him dry while his fame lasts

This. I remember seeing his debut and thinking "this guy's awesome" and the way he picked Holloway apart was amazing. The one thing that held me back as a fan was constantly cringing at his gimmicky fanboys constantly spouting McGoat and badmouthing Conor's opponents. It sucked seeing his streak break but seeing the idiots scatter was hilarious
Agree, except for the seeing him lose his streak part. I'm a big Diaz fan, and won a nice payout for that one.

well he's losing at "WW" so he just needs to drop down. I have always thought he was fighting a LW figther at 170 just for that reason.

I reckon he'll be plenty marketable still. It's not like he hadn't lost already prior to this fight. He's no undefeated invincible fighter.

he would be useless like Charlie Z

trash talking is mainly dependent on winning. He would have to resort to Rhonda tactics like crying to still be in the spotlight

And I will personally delete my account and quit MMA if I have to see a grown man cry for attention! :D

Agree, except for the seeing him lose his streak part. I'm a big Diaz fan, and won a nice payout for that one.
Don't get me wrong, I love watching Diaz fight and I was delighted he won but being a fan of both guys, the victory was bitter sweet but more edging towards sweet!

Conor still has not reached his full potantial. A full camp with Dillon Danis, and just training for Nate round 2 will push him further as a fighter. Think of the people that were pumped to see Hunt fight, even when he lost a few. Conor can sell a fight, and has plenty of beef with people to make big fights. Nate, Aldo, RDA, Lawler, Thompson, Duffy. Cowboy, others. Easy.

It would take a hit but not as bad as it would if he lost the rematch to Aldo.

Back