If Murphy Beats Shevchenko, Will it be Holm-Rousey Levels Of Shock?

I gave Holly due props and thought she had a decent chance to upset Rousey. I assumed Ronda was gonna win but I wasn't shocked by the outcome. Was an amazing KO.

If Murphy beats Schev I might shit my pants.

Sharting counts.

It would be MORE of an upset, in my opinion. Someone already pointed out that the skill difference between these two is MUCH LARGER that Rousey-Holm was.

Way way waaaaay bigger upset. Holm brought legitimate combat sports credentials into the cage. Lauren Murphy does not. At all. Plus Valentina is way more well-rounded than Rousey.

It wouldn't be nearly as "big" in terms of how much attention it would get. Not many other than us would care. When Rousey went down it was all the rage everywhere; she was super famous there for a while. But it would be way bigger in terms of how unlikely/surprising it would be.

Yes, but Ronda Rousey had the whole world believing she was invincible at that point, so no way is Valentina 'better' than Rousey in terms of perception AT THE TIME.

At the height of Ronda's popularity this gif was popular for making fun of her striking

BraveAnchoredCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

Ronda had clear deficiencies in her striking, it was just a matter of when she would run into someone who could keep the fight standing.

Valentina on the other hand is flawless and better everywhere than everyone in her division. The only success anyone has had against her in this division is Maia controlling her for a round. It would be a true upset of an inferior fighter beating a vastly superior fighter if Murphy wins.

only chance is in fight injury to Valentina
She has to win the fight by decision. I don't see that happening. She is a grinder who is very tough. She isn't technical and if she tries to walk Valentina down. It isn't going to be pretty.

Murphy is 38, has barely squeaked past fighters on the way up with some controversial scorecards and has been entirely underwhelming. She's up against one of the GOAT's in WMMA.

If she gets the win do you reckon it would rival the meltdown levels of when Holm TKO'ed Rousey?

No WMMA will ever top the satisfaction of watching rowdy Ronda get exposed in the her last 2 fights

Valentina is legitimately good, whereas Rhonda was mostly a hype job. So yes, this would be a bigger shocker. Holly beating Rhonda wasn't all that shocking to me. Holly was the most skilled fighter that she had fought until that point. Didn't think it would be as 1 sided as it was, but wasn't surprised that Holmes won.

It will be a fluke if Lauren wins. She's simply not anywhere as good as Valentina. Some people can have some bad nights though.

Holly is a former boxing world champion and outclassed Ronda. It was no fluke.

There were quite a few Sherdogers thought Holm has a good chance of beating Ronda. Nobody thinks Lauren has any way beating Valentina.

I fully expect this to be a brutal, protracted one-way beatdown with Dana and the entire crown begging for mercy from the ref.
At this point, I do kinda expect a sub or a KO from Valentina every time to feel 'satisfied'.
So I'd really like Valentina to finish this fight. All these opponents come out with that classic line "she's never fought anyone like me" just like Murphy did at today's presser.

I suppose a freak KO is possible or an oddball injury to to Valentina or a sub but it would be a huge shock yes.

Last edited:
She doesn’t really have a path to victory, whereas Holm did (just no one saw it going quite that way). She’s a grinder who’s durable and tough as nails, but technically not too sound. Does her best work from top position but often doesn’t have the wrestling to get it there. She’s physically stronger than most, if not all, the girls Val has beaten so I don’t see her getting effortlessly bullied like Andrade, but Val could pick her apart from range rather easily and just have too many tools. Barring a fluke TKO due to injury, I just don’t see how Murphy wins.

I mean people at least thought well if Holm beats Rousey,that is how it would happen. I dont think anyone can tell me how they think Lauren has a shot in hell here.

No. It would be more surprising to the people who are familiar with Valentina, but that's a lot fewer people than it was for Ronda. Ronda was headlining PPVs that did over a million buys, and the UFC was hyping her up as some unbeatable monster and a "once every in history human being" who was dominating male boxing champs in sparring.

Valentina is obviously better than Ronda was, and Murphy isn't as good as Holly, but Valentina isn't hyped as much as Ronda was.

giphy.gif

For me this was on par.

But I don't dislike either Cyborg or Ronda.

I had that fight at 50-50, never expected it to end within a minute and Cyborg to be KOed though. I assumed either Cyborg would batter Nunes on the feet and clinch or Nunes would manage to get it to the ground and gain the submission.

Back