If Money Was Tight, And You Had To Bulk Up, Which Foods Would You Buy?

a lot of good advice in this good but old thread. I'll throw mine in. Lentils. crazy cheap source of protein.

When I was on a serious budget crunch I would make rice and lentils, and just ad them to every meal for about half the meal, made life cheaper and I got enough carbs and protein that way in every meal.

Sweet potatoes. I still don't understand why they haven't taken over regular potatoes.

a lot of good advice in this good but old thread. I'll throw mine in. Lentils. crazy cheap source of protein.

When I was on a serious budget crunch I would make rice and lentils, and just ad them to every meal for about half the meal, made life cheaper and I got enough carbs and protein that way in every meal.

I agree. If your'e not afraid of farting the place up, get the lentils and make some Dal, wich is apparently a staple side dish or Indian cuisine, and just serve it over rice. Carbs and protein, cheap and vegetarian. I would eat it up all day.

Dal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I your'e looking for cheap and vegetarian, Indian is the best bet.

seconding it on the cheap cuts + slow cooker can equal awesome.

extra points for using bones (some butchers will give them to you for free and cooked down in to stew/broth they release tons of good stuff for growth).

depending on how much freezer space you have an whats available in your current budget, I feel like the 3 fastest ways to good meats are

1: the already mentioned budget packs or day before expiring packs at most grocery stores

2: the tougher cuts/ larger pieces of meat you self butcher (whole beef/pork loin etc) from Costco/bulk stores, can get higher quality sourcing sometimes too

3: farmers market/grassfed by the pound/quarter/half cow (serious freezer space), on the plus side good enough quality meat will wipe out your need for half the supplements you are taking

beans/lentils/chickpeas lots of various legumes also go good in the all day curry/stews in the slow cooker as well, also the curries and other seasonings can be another vehicle for supplement replacement as well (bone + good meat + lentils etc + curry or other seasonings is not only delicious but probably blows your multi out of the water as well)

the only thing I'd be careful about with milk/dairy is some of the commercial ones can get a bunch of hormones/antibiotic/fat soluble not good for bulking crap in them, but it's probably more alarmist than true I feel. But better quality dairy does literally taste a ton better.

oh and semi off topic I suppose but if I had to go out to eat with people... all you can eat korean bbq would be awesome (around here its 10-15$, unlimited meat... still expensive compared to at home but if you have to go out...)

I havent read this whole thread but I hope no one said tuna. I found out the hard way that tuna really is BAD (mercury). I actually got mercury poisoning eating a small amount of tuna each day.

I havent read this whole thread but I hope no one said tuna. I found out the hard way that tuna really is BAD (mercury). I actually got mercury poisoning eating a small amount of tuna each day.

Fearmongering at its best.

Eat tuna, you'll be fine. Don't buy cheapass generic boo-boo butt ass tuna. Buy the "chicken of the sea" brand all white albacore tuna. Ya, it costs $.25 more per can, but you get what you pay for.

Bulking up for cheap is all about calorie/dollar. Lean protein and vegetables are much more expensive while providing fewer calories. Fat is relatively cheap and provides more calories per gram. Therefore ditch the chicken, turkey and lean beef. You are going to want high fat protein sources and cheap carbs like bulk rice/spaghetti. Personally I would buy a ton of peanut butter, rice, noodles, cheap oatmeal, and cheap ground beef. Milk and eggs are also a good choice. If you need more fiber try buying bulk carrots or get some fiber powder.

I want to know if your seriously got mercury poisoning or just sick from a can of tuna

I eat tuna everyday and know bodybuilders that eat it 2-3 times a day 7 days a week and nobody I know has ever gotten mercury poisoning

I want to know if your seriously got mercury poisoning or just sick from a can of tuna

I eat tuna everyday and know bodybuilders that eat it 2-3 times a day 7 days a week and nobody I know has ever gotten mercury poisoning

lol...You'd have to eat like 20 cans a day for 10 years

Fearmongering at its best.

Eat tuna, you'll be fine. Don't buy cheapass generic boo-boo butt ass tuna. Buy the "chicken of the sea" brand all white albacore tuna. Ya, it costs $.25 more per can, but you get what you pay for.

fish fat is DEFINITELY good. but fish meat DEFINITELY has mercury and pcbs and dioxins in it, and those are DEFINITELY bad for you. humans burning coal into the air are apparently the most to blame.

YOUNG PEOPLE are the main concern here. us older people are less important, less well studied, and best of all, more resistant to negative impacts. but if you're like me, you think if it is bad for a 15 year old, I don't want much to do with it either.

Chronic exposure to mercury compounds may have negative effects on the immune system (Moszczysnki, 1997) and there is emerging evidence of potential cardiovascular effects (Stern, 2005). For example, the results of a recent epidemiological study of men in eastern Finland suggested that high mercury content in hair may be a risk factor for acute coronary events and cardiovascular disease, coronary heart disease, and all cause mortality (Virtanen et al., 2005). [These preliminary results] suggest that effects related to cardiovascular disease are seen at similar hair mercury concentrations as those associated with effects related to [young human] neurodevelopment.
Human Health Risk Assessment of Mercury in Fish and Health Benefits of Fish Consumption

All the New England states and Eastern Canadian Provinces have lakes and ponds with fish that have elevated levels of mercury. In Massachusetts, almost half of the lakes and ponds tested have one or more types of fish with unsafe levels of mercury. Over 40 states have issued fish consumption advisories due to mercury.

It is important to be aware of and follow fish consumption advisories.
Mercury in the Environment | MassDEP

Albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. You may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
Seafood

The researchers set out to determine how to balance consumption amounts of different fish species and shrimp based on mercury concentrations and recommended intake levels of omega-3 fatty acids. They conclude that species both high in healthful omega-3s and low in mercury include salmon, trout, and shrimp, while other species with high levels of omega-3 fatty acids (tuna, shark, halibut, swordfish, and sea bass) also tend to have high concentrations of mercury.
Smith, K. L. and J. L. Guentzel (2010). "Mercury concentrations and omega-3 fatty acids in fish and shrimp: Preferential consumption for maximum health benefits." Mar Pollut Bull 2010 Jul 13.

Fatty fish are much better for your omega 3 epa+dha level than lean fish according to this research because while omega 3 from fatty fish was found in human blood serum in the amounts expected, a smaller proportion of the omega 3 from lean fish was found in the blood, implying that fatty fish meat has something else in it that makes our body get the fat.
http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/fishadvisories/upload/day3a.pdf

Every state and country in the world has news reports like this, they happen every day for water bodies around the world:
People are still eating fish caught west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge despite continuing concerns about highly toxic chemicals that the World Health Organisation says causes cancer.
Commercial fishing was banned in the harbour in December 2005 after raised levels of potentially harmful dioxins, a group of organic chemicals thought to have come from factories at Homebush Bay, were found in several species of fish and crustaceans.
People still ignoring fish warning

Catching your own fish?
Thus, the general consumer should be advised to eat no more than 1 meal/week of noncommercial fish in the U.S.
Consumers should, first and foremost, consider any local advisories.
http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguid...ad/2004_07_21_fish_advice_1-meal-per-week.pdf

My solution to fish toxicity is plenty of distilled fish oil extract. But even if future research better proves that this is a healthy idea, it isn't a good long term solution for the general population. Fish stocks are already low, and using them to waste valuable protein (just to suck the fat out) is a bad idea when half the world is starving. This is part of the reason we may never see health organizations say... take your fish oil capsules, kids. "Dietary recommendations to increase fish consumption may not be sustainable." ttp://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/180/6/633

The best solution? Not pollute the fish in the first place. The best solution is prevention, who would have expected. But good luck with that, because coal is cheap and easy energy, and the damage will take longer than our lifetimes to undo. Between coal plants making fish toxic and industrial+consumer waste making them transgender, we're well done.

Back