If margarito beats pacquiao, what does this mean for Boxing?

One346

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now I'm not saying he will win, I think he will lose, badly. Actually chael says it best, It's gonna be a one sided beat down and Pacquiao will be swiniging the gigantic F'n hammer. But What if he loses? The luster of the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight will be gone and I can't see Margarito vs Mayweather generating much interest do to the hand wrap situation with Margarito. Will boxing in the U.S. lose more popularity or will people (specifically casual boxing fans) get behind a possible Margarito vs Mayweather match up despite the hand wrap controversy?

discuss...

Will boxing in the U.S. lose more popularity or will people (specifically casual boxing fans) get behind a possible Margarito vs Mayweather match up despite the hand wrap controversy?

Pacquiao's stock will fall.
Floyd would have a field day telling everyone how Pac < Margarito < Mosely < Floyd.

But yes, Margarito vs Mayweather would probably be in the works, but, considering Mayweather's legal issues, it may never occur. Floyd will use the opportunity to further spread his propaganda and try to cement his number 1 status.

But this is all a moot point. Margarito's training camp vids on youtube show him throwing very slow punches. I don't see this fight going very well for Margarito. He's gonna get picked apart.

Pacquiao's stock will fall.
Floyd would have a field day telling everyone how Pac < Margarito < Mosely < Floyd.

But yes, Margarito vs Mayweather would probably be in the works, but, considering Mayweather's legal issues, it may never occur. Floyd will use the opportunity to further spread his propaganda and try to cement his number 1 status.

But this is all a moot point. Margarito's training camp vids on youtube show him throwing very slow punches. I don't see this fight going very well for Margarito. He's gonna get picked apart.

completely forgot about mayweather's legal issues... another barrier

I think that if Pac gets beat then the Mega fight "Mayweather v. Pacquiao" fight is dead in terms of that mass appeal it has now. I actually think Pacquiao might be told to retire from Roach if he loses (assuming all that we are hearing about his camp being bad isn't just noise.) Then the noise about margarito being a cheater will continue because he will have more big fights ahead of him, all the way around it's not really a good situation unless you're a die hard fan of Margarito.

Pac should win but Margarito is bigger remember. Definetely would set up Floyd vs Margarito

Boxing is dead.

I love how people come to the boxing forum to post "boxing is dead" - if it was so dead, what brought you to the forum - interest in boxing, or just the opportunity to shit on someone's thread by adding nothing of any value.

I can only assume it is the latter.

To answer the question - if Pacman loses, Mayweather will definitely try to cement his No 1 status (without actually fighting anyone of any note), but through propaganda only.

I don't see Pacman losing to Margarito, as he is just to slow and will get beat to the punch all night long.

Win or lose, Manny Pacquiao is my idol. He's done so much for the Philippines, he's literally a living artifact.

Pacquiao is going to destroy Margarito, count on it. And I'm gonna have a burrito and a corona after he does.

kidding.

- Pac probably retires to politics or Freddy Roach stops training him until Pacquiao decides to get rid of the distractions that seem to always worry Roach before every fight.

- Floyd/Margarito still happens albeit with less fan fair but it happens in Texas and riles up the Mexican fans.

- Boxing remains strong. Dont kid yourself, so long as people like to get drunk on a weekend and see guys knock each other in the head, boxing will have its place.

Boxing would take a big hit. Margarito is not half the boxer Manny is. He would just win out of pure size and strength advantage.

I love how people come to the boxing forum to post "boxing is dead" - if it was so dead, what brought you to the forum - interest in boxing, or just the opportunity to shit on someone's thread by adding nothing of any value.

I can only assume it is the latter.

To answer the question - if Pacman loses, Mayweather will definitely try to cement his No 1 status (without actually fighting anyone of any note), but through propaganda only.

I don't see Pacman losing to Margarito, as he is just to slow and will get beat to the punch all night long.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Now I'm not saying he will win, I think he will lose, badly. Actually chael says it best, It's gonna be a one sided beat down and Pacquiao will be swiniging the gigantic F'n hammer. But What if he loses? The luster of the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight will be gone and I can't see Margarito vs Mayweather generating much interest do to the hand wrap situation with Margarito. Will boxing in the U.S. lose more popularity or will people (specifically casual boxing fans) get behind a possible Margarito vs Mayweather match up despite the hand wrap controversy?

discuss...

keep in mind that margarito is responsible for the largest gate in staples center history (even more so than any NBA championship). imo it's a win win from bob arum's point of view. the hispanic demographic has always been amongst the most catered to when it comes to boxing.

Anyone can lose, Pac maybe as overhyped a Brock (probably not but maybe). Can anyone suggest a fight for me to watch where Pac takes a decent shot without getting knocked down?

Anyone can lose, Pac maybe as overhyped a Brock (probably not but maybe). Can anyone suggest a fight for me to watch where Pac takes a decent shot without getting knocked down?

Marquez I and II, Morales I, Cotto fights he took some hard shots and didn't go down

Pacquiao is the real deal, unlike Lesnar.

Last edited:
Yea. Pacman has gone to war with alot of mexican warriors, barrera, morales, marquez and he can take punisment, thats for sure. yes, he has been knocked down a couple of times, but most times it seems like the knockdown had no effect on him.

It means Pac is too distracted by things perifial to boxing.

Sunday Nov 14th aka 'after Pac':

-All boxing gyms around the world close down
-Boxing promoters proclaim themselves indentured servants to the UFC
-Oscar releases his own line of lingerie

Pac is way faster than Marg but lets not forget boxing history...

Margarito is HUGE and has an "ok" chin so anything can happen.

Did he almost die against Mosely? Yes. But I mean if you're training to fight Pac you'd be ignorant not to prepare yourself to be beat to the punch and deal with the speed.

If you are training you HAVE to find away around this - Margs camp knows this.

So do expect him to fight differently than from the past since this could be his last fight ever!

Back