1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

If Lomachenko retired today, would he make the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by CastletonSnob, Jan 6, 2022.

1. CastletonSnob Green Belt

Let's look at his accomplishments:

• Tied the record for fewest number of pro fights to win a world title
    • Broke the record for fewest number of pro fights to win a world title in 2 weight classes
    • Broke the record for fewest number of pro fights to win a world title in 3 weight classes
    • All in fewer than 20 fights
    Has he done enough to make the Hall of Fame?

2. borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

Also

"First fighter to surpass Neo in the Matrix"

3. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

First Ballot, yes. It's easy, especially because they consider amateur careers when voting.

That said, no one takes that Salido loss seriously but he has work to do to get public respect back because have 1 loss, let alone 2 in such few fights gets people calling you overrated, even if you have a resume that laps everyone else they compare to you presently.

It's clear he's small for 135. If he can win Undisputed at 135 and beat Tank or drop and beat Shakur, people(in the US, because that's where all the noise is made) will give him his praise.

Reaperman and RabbitPunch36 like this.
  4. Seano Hands of bone

It would depend on who else was on the ballot.
    His all time resume will be severely lacking unless he racks up a few good wins in his next few fights.
    I mean, really, his list of accomplishments in the OP is basically having a promoter who got him a title fight he didn't earn and then another after losing that one.

5. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

He could. The debate between those who overrate him and those who diss him is tiresome already.

6. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

I don’t know if having two gold medals indirectly affects his chances even if they aren’t part of his pro boxing career but something tells me he would be in the HoF, his skill set is maybe one of the best I’ve ever seen when you consider everything he can do but his career I don’t think was managed properly and he started too late.

He could have been much, much more. But there’s still time.

7. Cuttyrock Blue Belt

Being honest its good but not great as of right now

8. JayE Silver Belt

On his pro resume alone, he isn't necessarily a shoe in, but his reputation and amateur accomplishments likely get him in on the first ballot.

9. Seano Hands of bone

Pick a side, damn it.

10. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

not based on his pro career, but including his amateur accolades, yeah probably.

Misery Signals likes this.
  11. aries Gold Belt

I agree he started too late but not properly managed? I think not having the rematch clause with Lopez and you could argue Salido were mistakes but how else do you think he was mismanaged? He didn't get the big fights that he wanted but that just seemed to be a lot of people ducking him. He got ducked at 130 by quite a few so he moved to 135. Then Mikey Garcia arguably ducked him at 135 robbing him of that big fight. Then he went chasing Lopez by taking on his old opponents but that dead ended when Lopez lost to George, not that I think Lopez would have given him another shot. I'm not sure what other fights he could have got. Tank didn't want to fight him, and Kambosos is looking for an opponent but doesn't seem to want Loma. Garcia seems to be ducking fights and has never mentioned Loma. Haney is a possibility though.

Sanserif likes this.
  12. cuban23 Black Belt

Is this a joke? Of course he would... His amateur resume alone is enough him to get him there.

13. ironfist05 Silver Belt

yeah probably, he had enough notoriety that he'll be a HOFer, though I'd argue he's not an ATG if that's considered to be a meaningful distinction

14. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

stevenson & savon aren’t in the hall of fame to be fair. you usually have to at least go pro and do well in the pros

15. Seano Hands of bone

Is there a fighter who got in the hall based on amateur fights? I'm not saying there isn't but I can't think of one.

16. JSN Plutonium Belt

Shoe-in?

bone apple tee, good sir!

[​IMG]

17. Roids Brown Belt

Why are amateur credentials considered especially when he essentially abused the system by fighting so long with such an experience and age advantage over his competitors?

18. Misery Signals Orange Belt

I don't know much about amateur boxing since I don't follow it but it seems like there should be different categories or something.

He's a good boxer but purposely started his pro career late and really doesn't have that many fights.

19. CatchnShoot Silver Belt

I love Lomachenko, but as of today... it's a no for me, dog.

20. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Papp was undefeated but he never got to fight for a world title belt. He mainly got into the HoF for his amateur credentials. I think Loma earned his spot. As for getting into ATG territory that’s a whole other debate.