If Lomachenko retired today, would he make the Hall of Fame?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Let's look at his accomplishments:

• Tied the record for fewest number of pro fights to win a world title
  • Broke the record for fewest number of pro fights to win a world title in 2 weight classes
  • Broke the record for fewest number of pro fights to win a world title in 3 weight classes
  • All in fewer than 20 fights
Has he done enough to make the Hall of Fame?

First Ballot, yes. It's easy, especially because they consider amateur careers when voting.

That said, no one takes that Salido loss seriously but he has work to do to get public respect back because have 1 loss, let alone 2 in such few fights gets people calling you overrated, even if you have a resume that laps everyone else they compare to you presently.

It's clear he's small for 135. If he can win Undisputed at 135 and beat Tank or drop and beat Shakur, people(in the US, because that's where all the noise is made) will give him his praise.

It would depend on who else was on the ballot.
His all time resume will be severely lacking unless he racks up a few good wins in his next few fights.
I mean, really, his list of accomplishments in the OP is basically having a promoter who got him a title fight he didn't earn and then another after losing that one.

I don’t know if having two gold medals indirectly affects his chances even if they aren’t part of his pro boxing career but something tells me he would be in the HoF, his skill set is maybe one of the best I’ve ever seen when you consider everything he can do but his career I don’t think was managed properly and he started too late.

He could have been much, much more. But there’s still time.

Being honest its good but not great as of right now

I don’t know if having two gold medals indirectly affects his chances even if they aren’t part of his pro boxing career but something tells me he would be in the HoF, his skill set is maybe one of the best I’ve ever seen when you consider everything he can do but his career I don’t think was managed properly and he started too late.

He could have been much, much more. But there’s still time.
I agree he started too late but not properly managed? I think not having the rematch clause with Lopez and you could argue Salido were mistakes but how else do you think he was mismanaged? He didn't get the big fights that he wanted but that just seemed to be a lot of people ducking him. He got ducked at 130 by quite a few so he moved to 135. Then Mikey Garcia arguably ducked him at 135 robbing him of that big fight. Then he went chasing Lopez by taking on his old opponents but that dead ended when Lopez lost to George, not that I think Lopez would have given him another shot. I'm not sure what other fights he could have got. Tank didn't want to fight him, and Kambosos is looking for an opponent but doesn't seem to want Loma. Garcia seems to be ducking fights and has never mentioned Loma. Haney is a possibility though.

yeah probably, he had enough notoriety that he'll be a HOFer, though I'd argue he's not an ATG if that's considered to be a meaningful distinction

Is this a joke? Of course he would... His amateur resume alone is enough him to get him there.
stevenson & savon aren’t in the hall of fame to be fair. you usually have to at least go pro and do well in the pros

Is this a joke? Of course he would... His amateur resume alone is enough him to get him there.
Is there a fighter who got in the hall based on amateur fights? I'm not saying there isn't but I can't think of one.

On his pro resume alone, he isn't necessarily a shoe in, but his reputation and amateur accomplishments likely get him in on the first ballot.
Shoe-in?

bone apple tee, good sir!

200.gif

Why are amateur credentials considered especially when he essentially abused the system by fighting so long with such an experience and age advantage over his competitors?

Why are amateur credentials considered especially when he essentially abused the system by fighting so long with such an experience and age advantage over his competitors?
I don't know much about amateur boxing since I don't follow it but it seems like there should be different categories or something.

He's a good boxer but purposely started his pro career late and really doesn't have that many fights.

I love Lomachenko, but as of today... it's a no for me, dog.

Pick a side, damn it.

Papp was undefeated but he never got to fight for a world title belt. He mainly got into the HoF for his amateur credentials. I think Loma earned his spot. As for getting into ATG territory that’s a whole other debate.

Back