If Lawler beats Brown he'll have made half a million so far this year.

He's NOT pocketing all that money...

You forgot the cost of training camp:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/345416/Cost-of-an-elite-MMA-camp/
Manager/Agent: $25,000
High level coaches (grappling, striking, conditioning): $15,000
Dietitian: $7,500
Travel: $10,000
Housing: $10,000
Additional Training Partners (Five): $3,500
Rental Cars: $2,400
Food for Training Partners: $2,400
Flights for wife and kids to visit once: $1,500
Food: $2,000
Supplements: $1,000
Gear: $100
Rehab Sessions: $600
Massage: $225
Gas: $800
Taxes (18 %): $45,000

Total cost of training camp: $127,025
Main event purse: $250,000
Take home Pay: $122,975

$122k is chump change for a #1 contender and a top fighter...

MMA fans are so used to see the UFC paying its fighters peanuts, they think $122k is a lot for a top level pro athlete...

It's alot for a UFC fighter, but if compared to say a top pro boxer then indeed 120k is peanuts. Look at how much Barao was making, Lawler's much better off and he ain't even champion.

I love seeing fighters try to get back out there as fast as they can. Robbie is a stud and deserves the money.

This. If they fight alot, and go hard they deserve to be rewarded.
I'm not the biggest Lawler fan out there, but he deserves them moneys.

Robbie's management team has always done real well for him.
He actually took a substantial pay cut when he came back to the UFC, he killed it pretty much the entire time in strikeforce.

Yep, and back further when he fighting in Hawaii. Dana was asked about him over the years and said it was best for Robbie to get paid like he was outside UFC

MMA fans are so used to see the UFC paying its fighters peanuts, they think $122k is a lot for a top level pro athlete...

10000 for housing which he wouldn't pay otherwise? lol, quit wasting money bro. and i wouldn't pay no agent 25 grand. unless you are an idiot, they are not much added value. sure they can take your calls and handle media/contracts, but 25 grand for a camp/fight? get outta here

He gets paid 100K to fight & 100K to win based on his last fight's pay.

He made 133K against Hendricks for fighting & his FOTN bonus.

That's 333K so far this year.

He beats Brown & he's looking at another 200K which puts him at 533K for this years earnings.

He deserves this pay because he really is a fan favorite & I really hope he beats Hendricks in the rematch because I wanna see him succeed, true veteran of the sport & his demeanor / the way he fights is great.

Yeah, but after taxes, paying his manager, insurance, nutrition , rent, gym fees, training partners, public speaking coaching, gas, body scrub and paying for his wife's handbags he will only have cleared $8,058 which is less than the minimum wage.

Sounds too low imo.

alistairovereem_2190017b.jpg

FIGHTPLAY-fightplay-93a08588-793b-4a8e-bf0f-ed7e9e740b8c_belfort.jpg

Oh piss off with that bullshit man.

Do you not pay taxes?

Do you not pay gas?

Do you not pay rent / mortgage?

Gross income is the only income measurement, your expenses are controlled by YOU.

Try that out in your next salary negotiation if you even have a job.

Do you not pay taxes?

Do you not pay gas?

Gross income is the only income measurement, your expenses are controlled by YOU.

Kevin-Garnett-Reaction-at-2013-Dunk-Contest.gif

fair play mate

10000 for housing which he wouldn't pay otherwise? lol, quit wasting money bro.

The cost of housing, food, etc., are part of the expenses when trying to figure out the actual earning...

and i wouldn't pay no agent 25 grand.

250k is the fight purse.
The 25k manager/agent fee is 10%, which is quite reasonable, considering it can go up to 20%.

unless you are an idiot, they are not much added value. sure they can take your calls and handle media/contracts, but 25 grand for a camp/fight? get outta here

First of all, the fee is 10%. So a fight purse is 250k, the fee is 25k. It's not 25k fee per fight. If you failed to calculate that, you should not be so quick to call managers/agents worthless.

Second of all, managers/agents knows the legal and business side of things. They can bargain for better pays. The fighters' main focus should be training, not making offers and counter offers.

The only person who said fighters don't need agents/managers is Dana White. (Now, apparently a Sherdogger is saying something similar, lol!)

STFU Zuffa shill...

That article was put together after the writer have spoken to many fighters, trainers, managers.

If you have a problem with their expenses, you take it up with them.

Do you not pay taxes?

Do you not pay gas?

Listen Zuffa shill...

I'll explain it so your little Zuffa shill pea-sized brain can understand the reason why taxes and other expenses are included:

They're included so that it reflects the ACTUAL EARNING.

half a million you say?

bench warmers in nba making 9 million a year

STFU Zuffa shill...

That article was put together after the writer have spoken to many fighters, trainers, managers.

If you have a problem with their expenses, you take it up with them.

Listen Zuffa shill...

I'll explain it so your little Zuffa shill pea-sized brain can understand the reason why taxes and other expenses are included:

They're included so that it reflects the ACTUAL EARNING.

Resorting to referring to me as a shill is weak. Expected but weak.

The fact you refer to a fictional concept of 'actual income' is indicative of your lack of comprehension.

The term you are searching for is net income, and it is calculated purely as gross income minus tax paid.

Expenses are wholly controlled by the individual.

Again, I encourage you to try adopting this negotiation strategy with your employer.

Let me know how that works out for you.

The cost of housing, food, etc., are part of the expenses when trying to figure out the actual earning...

250k is the fight purse.
The 25k manager/agent fee is 10%, which is quite reasonable, considering it can go up to 20%.

First of all, the fee is 10%. So a fight purse is 250k, the fee is 25k. It's not 25k fee per fight. If you failed to calculate that, you should not be so quick to call managers/agents worthless.

Second of all, managers/agents knows the legal and business side of things. They can bargain for better pays. The fighters' main focus should be training, not making offers and counter offers.

The only person who said fighters don't need agents/managers is Dana White. (Now, apparently a Sherdogger is saying something similar, lol!)

"The cost of housing, food, etc., are part of the expenses when trying to figure out the actual earning..."

if so, and? How much do the regular guy have after expenses? I sure as hell don't have much left after expenses.

I don't care if 10% comission is the norm, it is still a waste of money for most of these fighters.

The fact you refer to a fictional concept of 'actual income' is indicative of your lack of comprehension.

The term you are searching for is net income, and it is calculated purely as gross income minus tax paid.

Again, I encourage you to try adopting this negotiation strategy with your employer.

Let me know how that works out for you.

I am one of the biggest Dana haters, but i guess if you disagree with anything then you are a zuffa zombie lol.

I am one of the biggest Dana haters, but i guess if you disagree with anything then you are a zuffa zombie lol.

He's going to call you one next mate.

Dana is a ****, but I fail to see how taxes and management fees are his problem...

Then don't act and talk like a damn Zuffa shill...

Actual earning is a fictional concept? REALLY?

The term you are searching for is net income,

LOL, are you trying to impress me with fancy terminologies now? Dude, get off your high horse.

and it is calculated purely as gross income minus tax paid.

Dude, again, get off your high horse and stop being a nerd. You think I don't know that?

That's basically what was done in the article, in more details, except the writer didn't try to act "smart" like you by using complex words.

LOL, you're so smart, you should become a manager and show the fighters on how to they can better "control their expenses."

Again, I encourage you to try adopting this negotiation strategy with your employer. Let me know how that works out for you.

I encourage you to:

1. Get off your high horse
2. Stop talking like a Zuffa shill

Well deserved. Difference between a guy that actually goes out and fight, and the other fighters the spend more time bitching about pay than actually fighting. Stop complaining about things that's out of your control. STFU and do your job or find another profession. /rant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back