"If Khabib gets one takedown, the fight is over" - This statement is 100% correct

The Blob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I've noticed that many people don't seem to understand this statement, or take it at face-value, which is understandable.

Obviously Khabib almost never finishes people in the first round, and Conor has never been finished in the first round during his UFC career. However, this statement isn't implying that Khabib will finish Conor in the first round.

The most common retort to this is "Every round starts on the feet". Fair enough....

Why I believe that Conor's chances will be next to nil if Khabib scores a takedown early in the 1st round: Sure, every round starts on the feet, but if Khabib scores an early TD either via his chain wrestling OR clinch trips/throws, he has a far more devastating and punishing top game than guys like Mendes or Diaz. Conor is underrated on the ground (I do recall him pulling off a slick sweep from Curu Curu guard in Diaz 1), but Khabib has mauled better grapplers than him, and will hurt him with vicious G&P and neutralise his attempts to get up or sweep off his back, which will tire Conor out.

We know that Conor isn't exactly known for his gas tank anyway, so by the time Khabib has passed his guard and punched his head over a hundred times by the end of the 1st round, he will be so fatigued and hurt that whatever "puncher's chance" he had at the start of the fight, will be totally gone because his reflexes and power won't be the same. This will only make a 2nd takedown even easier for Khabib, and we rinse and repeat for however many rounds the beating continues.

Conor is a great striker and him scoring a 1st round KO is not out of the realm of possibility, but it is my personal opinion that Khabib's chances to win the fight are much higher, for the reasons I stated above.

Gassed McGregor will get killed against Khabib and it will only take one TD. He has a very small window of time to make it happen and Khabib knows it. The body is a much larger target than the chin which is why the grappler is generally favored against the striker

This is Khabib's prediction on Conor's chances:

“It’s impossible, brother,” Nurmagomedov said. “No really, I think it’s impossible. This is what I think. If I try to take him down one time and he defends very good, I’m going to do this 100 times. What he going to do? He don’t have conditioning, he don’t have wrestling, he don’t have grappling. When he tired, he don’t have heart. What happen? He have very good left hand, but I'm going to cut off this angle and it's nothing when I don't want to strike. What he going to do? The other guys stand with him. Why I need to stand? *laughs* I'm going to change his face.

Last edited:
1 Punch and the fight is over..

Fact..
That's not a fact at all.

The only guy Conor has one punch KO'd in the UFC is Aldo when he ran straight at him.

I'm pretty sure Khabib has a better chin than Eddie, who's been through multiple wars. Conor didn't sleep him with one punch, so why would it be the case with Khabib?

source.gif

That's not a fact at all.

The only guy Conor has one punch KO'd in the UFC is Aldo when he ran straight at him.

And it is fact that Conor gets taken down one time and he loses LOL???

Conor will sub khabib off his back

If Khabib can get Conor down early it will drain Conor in the upcoming rounds. It will also show that Khabib can close the distance agaisnt a fresh Conor which would mean doing so in rounds 2-5 will be easier.

I'm hoping Conor manages to utilize a lot of movement in the 1st. If Khabib gets a take down in the early and roughs him up, he might just gas and have a trouble going in to the next round. Movement and shot placement is key with Conor.

True statement. One takedown and a few mins of top control spells the end...

Conor gasses after 8 minutes of stand up fighting. Imagine how spent he is going to be round 2 if he is defending GnP for the entire first round.

Khabib better respect that left hand though...

I stated that it's an opinion...

Fact he was taken down 4 times by Chad, beat up some on the ground, got up and knocked Chad out..

Chad never fought Khabib, so we have no way of knowing how that would go? Chad was an elite wrestler at 45..

Fact he was taken down 4 times by Chad, beat up some on the ground, got up and knocked Chad out..

Chad never fought Khabib, so we have no way of knowing how that would go? Chad was an elite wrestler at 45..
This thread has nothing to do with their wrestling.

It's about top control and ground and pound, which Khabib has shown to be far superior at than Chad. When did I even say Khabib would beat Chad? Styles make fights ya know...

TL;DR

Anyone who thinks that is a retard. We don't know how well Conor may defend himself on the ground, or how much his ground game has improved during his time off; Plus, Khabib isn't much of a finisher anyway. And if the take down happens around the middle or end of the round, Conor will obviously survive (especially in the early rounds) and then it's back on the feet (Conor's wheelhouse) at the start of the next one.

This thread has nothing to do with their wrestling.

It's about top control and ground and pound, which Khabib has shown to be far superior at than Chad. When did I even say Khabib would beat Chad? Styles make fights ya know...

Chad had great top control at 45. And wrestling. His double leg is much better than Khabib. Why does Conor win that fight by TKO, but has no chance in this one? Logically makes no sense..

You sound like you have seen the fight already. Anything could happen.

Even if both guys are tired and it gets sloppy Conor can catch him with that ridiculous left. It just takes one shot from a guy like Conor and Khabib has shitty striking.

1 Punch and the fight is over..

Fact..
Khabib walks through strikers like nothing and makes it look easy.

Chad had great top control at 45. And wrestling. His double leg is much better than Khabib. Why does Conor win that fight by TKO, but has no chance in this one? Logically makes no sense..
Chad let Conor get up with a failed sub attempt, had no training camp, is not half the wrestler Khabib is, does not have 1/5th his level of top control, and is a FW while fighters say Khabib fells like a HW.

Last edited:
I never said he had no chance to win the fight. Stop with your pathetic strawman arguments lol. I said in the OP that Conor had a chance of a 1st round KO, but if Khabib gets an early takedown, it's a wrap.

You clearly didn't read the OP at all, but just posted an emotional argument with no substance behind it.

Back