If jones didnt concentrate on boxing, Gus would've KO. Or jones lay n pray.

ackileez

ANALINGUSing a PAWG
@Green
Reaction score
So we've established that towards the end of the fight it was indeed Gus who was more gassed. Okay. Now when Jon finally took Gus down in the later round, he got right back up.

The ground and pound expert jones, the phenom wrestler... Couldn't keep down Gus a boxer. Not even one elbow thrown , not even one punch landed . He just grabbed his legs and Gus got up and separated.

What's this talk of if jones trained wrestling more he would've won?
That's ridiculous . And here's why.

What little remnant of Jon jones "improved" striking game for this fight kept him out of getting KO.. In other words he got so outclassed on the feet his whole improvement of his hands this camp was almost rendered useless.

It's not like now if he suddenly trains wrestling he'd just keep Gus down gsp style.
You don't train with Phil's Davis for a few years, then be able to stuff jones Tds, who has been wrestling his whole life.

Gus was a boxer who trained takedowns and had his base of boxing to carry him to win.

Jones trained striking to get outclassed and barely surviving, and his wrestling was nullified.

What you saw that night was Gus a more complete Mixed martial artist.
Boxing skills complete. Wrestling nearing top level to stuff jones.

A flashy elbow and a couple knees don't win a decision over a complete boxing clinic and a complete neutralization of you opponents strength

When has Jones ever laid and prayed? When Jones takes someone to the ground, he typically finishes them or badly hurts them. It's one of the things he does well.

I don't think if Jon "trained wrestling more" he would have won more easily. But your assertions are just as absurd.

01awkward_chuckstaring.gif

The fact of the matter is jones should have been easy for Gus on the feet. THe fact that he had so much trouble with jones on the feet shows that Jones is getting better on the feet.

At least we learned Jones has a chin.

Last edited:
Jones and lay n pray??

Go see a Doctor. Now. You have some serious head injury.

When has Jones ever laid and prayed? When Jones takes someone to the ground, he typically finishes them or badly hurts them. It's one of the things he does well.

I don't think if Jon "trained wrestling more" he would have won more easily. But your assertions are just as absurd.

Thank you. Someone had to handle this. Jones lay and pray???

Has this guy watched MMA before??

Gus KO, I honestly don't think he should have focused mainly on wrestling or boxing but kick boxing, he still has the reach advantage and it seems like Alex has the better training partner when it comes to fighting a guy like Jones.(Phil Davis)

Jones doesn't really have anyone that has footwork, TDD and size like Alex to wrestle with, maybe Browne but I don't think he is nearly as good in the clinch as Alex is and his footwork isn't as good.

I was also wondering about that statement from Jones.
He was outclassed in the boxing department and couldn't get Gus down.

Without focussing on his boxing, he would've gotten mauled even more on the feet.

Lay N Pray? If Jones is laying on top of you, you better pray he doesn't finish you.

I was also wondering about that statement from Jones.
He was outclassed in the boxing department and couldn't get Gus down.

Without focussing on his boxing, he would've gotten mauled even more on the feet.

Mauled on the feet ? Gus hit jones with some good shots but the stand up was about even with Gus being a bit more accurate and jones more flashy.

Mauled on the feet would mean that Gus was actually mauling jones on the feet, that did not happen my son.

I don't think Gustafsson was gassed as much as he was hurt

This.

But seriously, Gus just did a great job at setting the tone of the fight right out of the gate. It was just a different fight for Jones having fought someone for the first time with virtually the same reach and height. He's used to towering over his opponent and just picking them apart. Shadface had a hell of a time hitting Jones with Jones just keeping the distance by pushing Shad away. Gus didn't have that problem.

It wouldn't have mattered what Jones practiced more. Gus just got in Jones' head a little. Didn't go in Jones' favor that Gus was having a great night. Jones did an amazing job not losing heart. At the end of the fight, though, Jones' reaction when they called his name looked like a huge surprise to him.

Back