If Jones beats winner of Gus/Rumble, who is actually next?

A contender will always emerge.

We don't usually agree, but you are right on this one.
I mean look at MW 2 years ago, Silva had cleaned out the division on multiple occasions but there was this kid named Chris working his way to the top. Today he is one of the top fighters P4P and has multiple contenders lined up.

They'll find someone, I'm sure Jones wants the title defense record.

I think it will be loser of Gus/Rumble vs DC for the next title shot.

Looks like Jones has pretty much cleared out the division. The only person left is OSP and maybe Bader again. Davis got back into the W column but I don't see him standing a chance.

At HW, Cain has Werdum and maybe Browne. Perhaps Hunt is still in the picture seeing as he stepped in as a replacement in his loss. It is not looking like there is a variety up here either.

Is it possible then that we could see a Jones/Cain fight soon? Out of all the possible super fights across the divisions, this seems like the most realistic..

Obviously the best way this plays out for my interest in it is that Gus beats Rumble and gets to fight Jones one more time.

At which point Jones could do almost anything he wanted. If he decided to go up, I think JJ winds up in the upper echelons for sure, I'm not sure he beats Cain... and after seeing him fight Cormier I'm putting his odds against Werdum higher than before.

If I were a gambler, I doubt I'll be betting against Jones in any fight except a healthy Cain.

He'll probably start eyeing the HW's.... I could also see a superfight with Weidman, or possibly even Anderson.

He'll probably start eyeing the HW's.... I could also see a superfight with Weidman, or possibly even Anderson.

Silva will always be #1 GOAT but that fight would be stupid. Whats the point of a "super" fight when we know who will win? To me there are two scenarios:

1] Jones vs winner/loser of Gus/Rumble then Cormier again and maybe Phil

2] Jones vs Gus ... if he wins then move up to HW.

No other scenario will sell PPV with Jones. He is just too good, and no one will pay to see him beat guys in another remach. Only GUS can take the fight to him and that PPV will sell.

Wiedman or Anderson are good but not enough for Jones. With what he did to a former HW Cormier ... nothing but a HW division can present any excitement and danger for him.

So if he fights the winner of Gus/AJ and wins, you wouldn't want to see him fight the loser of Gus/AJ?

I want to see both fights.

Also, I think Jones-Davis would be exciting.

Davis has never been stopped, so I think Jones might try to finish him.

Plus, they have legitimate beef, so it would bring out the unsportsmanlike behavior in Jones that I enjoy.

Nah after the winner of Gus/AJ there really is nothing left. That's right now though like you said we could see a new contender emerge. If Aj beats Gus then I wouldn't mind seeing Gus get another shot after Aj.

I don't even want to see Rashad fight anymore though. Phil Davis most likely wont even put on a run good enough to get the shot.

OSP? Really?!

you+have+got+to+be+shitting+me.jpg

I agree with that and I agree with what Jones said about contenders needing to fight each other. No more easy paths for any of the contenders. Literally have a tournament with the guys you mentioned. That way the number 1 contender will truly emerge from the pack.

Feel that Sober? That's me giving you a hi-5 in total lets get it done agreement!

Gus, Rumble, and sure why not Davis. Then I don't see why anyone else. Unless Gus 2 is very close like Gus 1. Then I guess if I were in charge:

Gus 2
Rumble
Davis
Gus 3

It won't matter at that point.

Phil Davis. Even if he has only one win. He will be Jones's Dan Hardy/Demian Maia.

nobody but he d atleast fight one more to tie andersons title defense record

So if he fights the winner of Gus/AJ and wins, you wouldn't want to see him fight the loser of Gus/AJ?

I want to see both fights.

Also, I think Jones-Davis would be exciting.

Davis has never been stopped, so I think Jones might try to finish him.

Plus, they have legitimate beef, so it would bring out the unsportsmanlike behavior in Jones that I enjoy.

I agree with all of this. There's no doubt I wan to see Jones fight Gustafsson again and I want to see him fight Rumble. IF Gustafsson should defeat Johnson by hard-fought, 5-round war then why should this make Rumble ineligible to fight the champ? He'd obviously have to wrack up another win or two, but both of these guys definitely have the ability to beat Bones.

This is why I've never understood people who say they don't want to see top contenders fight because it supposedly "kills one of them off". I want to see all the top guys fight one another.

With guys fighting only twice a year and sometimes not even that, there isn't a lot of time to waste. Gus vs Rumble will be only the 2nd fight Gus has had in almost a year and a half since losing to Jones.

While there is no way I'd want to see a guy get a title shot coming off a loss, I'd have no problem at all with the loser of Gus/Rumble getting a shot if he then put a couple of wins together.

Yeah, people are short-sighted here.

They constantly go on about how shallow the LHW division is, and then bitch about top contenders fighting each other.

Realistically, the loser of Gus/AJ is only two wins away from a title shot (because the division is shallow). It's not like WW/FW/LW/BW where if you lose a fight, you are out of the title picture for a long while.

And if they aren't good enough to gain momentum to fight for the title, they would have never been champion, anyways.

Really? Mr. Wonderful has nothing to bring to Jones other than talk, Phil is destined to be a gatekeeper always in the talk but never a real part of the conversation.

When I say "I think it would be exciting" it's because I believe Jones would absolutely maul him ala Shogun.

Davis could always pull the upset with a submission, however unlikely.

Back