If Jones beats DC that means a lot not only for LHW but for HW too

priderulez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean if Jones beats DC he has two other real tough challenges in the faces of AJ and Gus (rematch). If he beats these three guys than no doubt he is the LHW Goat

However if he beats DC, especially if he does so in an impressive fashion that woudl mean he can hang with the best HW and there will be no doubt about that.

I bring that up because that subject (whether Bones could hang with the HW's) has been debated a lot on these boards and some say he couldnt even beat Schaub, others say he could be the champ. Until now there was no way for us to know. The result of this fight will give us a pretty good guess though. I mean before Cormier left the HW division he was top 3 imho. And I'm pretty sure he would have stayed and fought for that HW title if the champ wasnt his teammate.

If JJ beats him that means he'd be a legit top 5 HW at least

Thoughts?

Speed kills. Jones is more mobile and in better shape than any of the HWs Cormier fought; in fact I think there are a handful of UFC LHWs who could beat UFC HWs.

3CJc2dD.png

Speed kills. Jones is more mobile and in better shape than any of the HWs Cormier fought; in fact I think there are a handful of UFC LHWs who could beat UFC HWs.

Yep, JJ, DC, AJ and Gus all come to mind.

In a different era (10 years ago) those guys most likely would have fought at HW

1. Jones is alredy the LHW GOAT.
2. Yes this fight will answer alot of question how jones would do vs HW in particular vs Cain.

3. Jones most likely wants to beat the record of title defence at LHW first then probably move up

1. Jones is alredy the LHW GOAT.
2. Yes this fight will answer alot of question how jones would do vs HW in particular vs Cain.

3. Jones most likely wants to beat the record of title defence at LHW first then probably move up

I do not think he's the LHW GOAT yet becuase before he fought Gus he fought fighters who were either mid-level or fighters who had their primes 10 years ago in Pride. I.e. he hadnt face real competition of a young and hungry top fighter

Now there are challenges for him that are big, real and belong to his day and age. All three - DC, AJ and Gus are what the division lacked when Bones climed on top of it and only when he beats DC and AJ (I do not even think he needs to win that Gus rematch cause imo he won that fight) he'd be the LHW GOAT.

Of course what I just wrote is my point of view.

I do not think he's the LHW GOAT yet becuase before he fought Gus he fought fighters who were either mid-level or fighters who had their primes 10 years ago in Pride. I.e. he hadnt face real competition of a young and hungry top fighter

Now there are challenges for him that are big, real and belong to his day and age. All three - DC, AJ and Gus are what the division lacked when Bones climed on top of it and only when he beats DC and AJ (I do not even think he needs to win that Gus rematch cause imo he won that fight) he'd be the LHW GOAT.

Of course what I just wrote is my point of view.

I completely agree, his record is still pretty impressive but not as impressive as most people are saying, he fought a lot of out of prime guys that are small LHWs and 2 MWs

Why people thinking AJ is super dangerous LHW??Because he lost Kos and Belfort or because he beat a 40 year old guy?

Why people thinking AJ is super dangerous LHW??Because he lost Kos and Belfort or because he beat a 40 year old guy?

yes

If he loses will Cain want to avenge him?

I mean if Jones beats DC he has two other real tough challenges in the faces of AJ and Gus (rematch). If he beats these three guys than no doubt he is the LHW Goat

However if he beats DC, especially if he does so in an impressive fashion that woudl mean he can hang with the best HW and there will be no doubt about that.

I bring that up because that subject (whether Bones could hang with the HW's) has been debated a lot on these boards and some say he couldnt even beat Schaub, others say he could be the champ. Until now there was no way for us to know. The result of this fight will give us a pretty good guess though. I mean before Cormier left the HW division he was top 3 imho. And I'm pretty sure he would have stayed and fought for that HW title if the champ wasnt his teammate.

If JJ beats him that means he'd be a legit top 5 HW at least

Thoughts?

Mmath never worked.
We know that the way Jones uses his size, Is his biggest weapon at lhw. He struggled with Gus, that was the same size. At HW, he would be crushed by guys like Bigfoot, Barnett, And Browne.

If Jones beats DC the only fight left for him at LHW is Rumble/Gus winner.

AJ is impressive because of how he looked against the competition he faced in his last bouts.

It does not take a genius to see that this guy possesses very dangerous weapons against any fighter, both LHW and HW. JJ himself recognized he might be the future champ of the division.

Still tend to favor Gus over him though because against Davis his Cardion gave up on him in the 3rd. And Gus can go all 5 staying on the outside making Johnson work

It would mean something if Cormier was allowed to come in at 230lbs. He's cutting, so its meaningless.

Back