If Johnny Walker focuses more on stand up defense and does less weird/wild movements...

MMA fans are just retarded.

Whenever there is a dominant champion they are pressured to move up, not because they are actually too big, just because MMA fans want to see them lose to someone who is bigger than them.

DJ was pressured to move up the same way when he was clearly undersized for BW, just because people wanted to see him lose.

Jon is a natural LHW, and I don't even like the guy.
The DJ thing was so bad. Sherdogger and ufc fans at large have no shame. It was super clear that dj vs tj whether at BW or flw was a mismatch. At flw dj would kick his fucking head off and at BW, Tj would kick dj's head off. But no because these losers hated dj so much, for no rational reason, they wanted him to "challenge" himself. Champs should only move up when they're ready. I treat witnessing such as a privilege. Like they're doing us fans a favor by moving up to give us the super fight. They have no obligation to do so in the first place.

I don't know, the way he's been finished(vs Anderson and that viral ko video) leads me to think his chin is already cracked. Hard to see him getting much further without developing some impeccable striking defense and learning to roll with punches.

Every streak he ever has will always be one punch away from ending.

In most divisions that’s a wrap for title aspirations but at LHW he could still get a shot and even maybe win- but every KO loss will make the next KO loss come easier so I wouldn’t bet on him ever holding the strap.

He has been KO'd 4 times in the last 4 years, albeit 3 of those KO's was in one fight. Let's not pretend that Corey Pillowfist Anderson is a KO artist. Imagine Walker vs Rumble or Reyes; he is going down first minute of round 1.

The DJ thing was so bad. Sherdogger and ufc fans at large have no shame. It was super clear that dj vs tj whether at BW or flw was a mismatch. At flw dj would kick his fucking head off and at BW, Tj would kick dj's head off. But no because these losers hated dj so much, for no rational reason, they wanted him to "challenge" himself. Champs should only move up when they're ready. I treat witnessing such as a privilege. Like they're doing us fans a favor by moving up to give us the super fight. They have no obligation to do so in the first place.
Agreed.

Any champ is well within their right to defend in their division as long as they can do so.

They have no obligation to take on additional risk, none. If they choose to pursue glory, fame, money, then they can do so if opportunities arise, but they do not owe it to us.

you could say that About Pretty much any fighter

Wilder with a respectable Jab would be unstoppable

I predict he will be the new Erik Silva where his fanbase keeps giving him a chance to improve after each KO loss

How do you figure that, since basically all of his success has come from weird/wild movements?

Unpredictability and being unorthodox is his biggest strength, and you want to take that away?

Yeah. He just shouldn't do the worm.

Then he wouldn't be Johnny Walker he'd be the other guys...

DJ was pressured to move up the same way when he was clearly undersized for BW, just because people wanted to see him lose.

Jon is a natural LHW, and I don't even like the guy.

Nobody would have been demanding DJ or Jones move up in weight if they hadn't cleaned out their divisions and/or had lost a few in their preferred weight classes. Let's get real. And stop making excuses.

Do you realize what you're saying though? "If Walker where a completely different fighter, he'd get different results" well yeah, thanks. Yes Walker would probably be a lot better with a more traditional textbook style because it's his athleticism that really makes him special. That said what's making him successful currently, besides his insane athleticism, is his ability to be free in the cage.

Johnny comes off as a pretty uncoachable (see the comments his coaches make about him, they're floating around online) free spirited guy. He comes to do what he wants. If you where to take that freedom from him, he'd probably grow bored in the cage and would cease to be himself. Walker is at his best when he's allowed to be creative and free. Everything is a give and take, if making alterations to a fighters skill set where as easy as pointing out a flaw, we'd be seeing completely different fighters fight to fight. Moments like TJ coming out switching stances and dropping Barao wouldn't be as special as they really are.

So I get where you're coming from TS, I haven't lost faith in Johnny Walker either and I agree he could be so much more, but how about we don't oversimplify what it means to alter a skill set/fighter?

Edit: JW's Coaches comments

“We went to war several times together,” Gosling said. “What happened to Johnny was fame, success and money going over his head. He became friends with other coaches, other managers, everybody telling him ‘Leo is a small (coach), if you want to become champion you have to train in big teams.’ I was open to that and even took him to a big team in Russia, American Top Team. I was there with him, no problem at all. I have an open mind, I know that one coach can’t teach all disciplines. It’s impossible to be good in everything

More here

Nobody would have been demanding DJ or Jones move up in weight if they hadn't cleaned out their divisions and/or had lost a few in their preferred weight classes. Let's get real. And stop making excuses.

Exactly, you just want to see them move up to fight guys who have a size advantage on them so that they can lose.

Agreed.

Any champ is well within their right to defend in their division as long as they can do so.

They have no obligation to take on additional risk, none. If they choose to pursue glory, fame, money, then they can do so if opportunities arise, but they do not owe it to us.
Absolutely. And the risk, like you said. I mean imagine being dj fighting Cody with that scary power of his. Or tj who could match his wrestling, is bigger and stronger and hits harder. That's a concussion waiting to happen. Of course there's also the money issue. I cannot believe "fans" said that dj was not in a position to demand, from a multi billion dollar company, $ 2million for the most dangerous fight of his career. The GOAT could not get paid two million to fight tj or Cody. How's it a super fight if the pay is not "super"? Overeem gets paid 800k for a regular fight. Nah man fuck all the haters, fuck Dana white too, fuck tj for being complicit and Kenny Florian too for getting some jabs in there too. I respect Benavidez for keeping it real. He said he understands dj's position and that he had every right to feel the way he did.
If tj was so great then why didn't he want to fight max holloway then?
And no I'm not fighter bashing tj I'm actually raising some points and refuting all the shit talk thrown at dj.

Excited to see Walker back vs Krylov. Gonna be a good fight. Let's see what Walker does different.

i think his chin might be a real problem that's gonna start getting exposed now with regularity against high competition. Corey doesn't really KO people like that normally and he had Walker dead on one hit.

I think we'll see Walker transition to pro-wrestling or some other more entertainment based thing soon. I'm pretty sure that's what he was hoping this would ultimately be a platform for him to expand into anyway.

Back