If Johnny Walker focuses more on stand up defense and does less weird/wild movements...

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
...then I think he really has a chance to be a champion in the UFC in the next few years. Dude is exciting and he's got the skills. And he's massive for the division...if I had to guess he was prob around 225-230 in the ring vs Corey and looked jacked. His cockiness (and Corey's right hook) def got the best of him. I'm curious to see how Johnny Walker responds vs Krylov and what the UFC does with him afterwards, assuming he wins (which I think he does). Obviously looking forward to see what Corey and Jan do too.

...then I think he really has a chance to be a champion in the UFC in the next few years. Dude is exciting and he's got the skills. And he's massive for the division...if I had to guess he was prob around 225-230 in the ring vs Corey and looked jacked. His cockiness (and Corey's right hook) def got the best of him. I'm curious to see how Johnny Walker responds vs Krylov and what the UFC does with him afterwards, assuming he wins (which I think he does). Obviously looking forward to see what Corey and Jan do too.

He's got the skills, the build, the hype etc.

But he's missing the chin. That's a serious problem at LHW. Those guys hit hard.

How do you figure that, since basically all of his success has come from weird/wild movements?

Unpredictability and being unorthodox is his biggest strength, and you want to take that away?

He's still got amazing potential. If he works with a great striking defense coach, I think he'll definitely be top 3, if not champ one day.

Johnny's offense is his only defense. And his chin is questionable.

Johnny's offense is his only defense.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, if he fights correctly.

He should work on his defense, for sure, but he shouldn't completely change his style like OP is suggesting.

His explosive unpredictability is what makes opponents hesitant to engage him in the first place. He should learn to use that in his favor more.

And he's massive for the division...if I had to guess he was prob around 225-230
So using this same logic that a lot of sherbros have been using for Jones, Walker is ducking HW confirmed.

Man, he's fighting Krylov?? Damn. It's one of those fights where I like both guys and neither one can afford a loss at the moment.

No chin and no boxing defense is suicide. Ask Cody Garbrandt.

So using this same logic that a lot of sherbros have been using for Jones, Walker is ducking HW confirmed.

That's not even that big though... 225 is pretty normal LHW size.

Neither Jones nor Walker are ducking Heavyweight.

That Sherlogic only works if someone is a long reigning champ.
Does Sherlogic fall under the umbrella of MMA math or Bro science? I'd be inclined to believe it leans more towards Bro Science...

How do you figure that, since basically all of his success has come from weird/wild movements?

Unpredictability and being unorthodox is his biggest strength, and you want to take that away?

No, not take it away. I said LESS. Not completely remove.

As far as his chin goes...I actually think it's better than most people are giving him credit for. He ate many of those punches and never got KO'd cold in that Corey fight. And Corey was landing some BOMBS. Corey ain't no spring chicken. Dude's hands are heavy AF. Anyone can get rocked in any fight. Just saying...

Also - Walker could absolutely move up to HW if he wanted to.

I rewatched the corey anderson fight, it wasnt that bad, Johnny got rocked, and still defended himself a bit after the fact, but probably never fully got his wits back

You guys saying he has no chin are idiots.

He took a HUGE overhand right that rocked him, then took about 10-15 more big shots that never even took him out. I'd say the opposite and he DOES have a really good chin.

Not having a chin is when you tagged by anything and get put out cold. Like an Overeem or Arloski.
Do better guys.

You guys saying he has no chin are idiots.

He took a HUGE overhand right that rocked him, then took about 10-15 more big shots that never even took him out. I'd say the opposite and he DOES have a really good chin.

Not having a chin is when you tagged by anything and get put out cold. Like an Overeem or Arloski.
Do better guys.

^This guy gets it.

No, not take it away. I said LESS. Not completely remove.

As far as his chin goes...I actually think it's better than most people are giving him credit for. He ate many of those punches and never got KO'd cold in that Corey fight. And Corey was landing some BOMBS. Corey ain't no spring chicken. Dude's hands are heavy AF. Anyone can get rocked in any fight. Just saying...

Also - Walker could absolutely move up to HW if he wanted to.

This. I don't know where this no chin bullshit is coming from. He ate big shots, that would drop anyone. His problem is defense and composure, not his chin.

I'm just relaying the message that's been spread about Jones as of recent.

MMA fans are just retarded.

Whenever there is a dominant champion they are pressured to move up, not because they are actually too big, just because MMA fans want to see them lose to someone who is bigger than them.

DJ was pressured to move up the same way when he was clearly undersized for BW, just because people wanted to see him lose.

Jon is a natural LHW, and I don't even like the guy.

Back