If JDS-Cro Cop went down as a TKO...

That wasn't a TKO? I thought it was clearly a TKO due to eye injury.

Wow. I never thought about it that way, TS. You've changed the whole way I look at MMA now

Also kind of funny that if a fighter retires in between rounds it's a TKO but if it's in the middle of the fight it's a submission.

Which is funny since if you retire in the middle of a fight in boxing it's a TKO.

Also kind of funny that if a fighter retires in between rounds it's a TKO but if it's in the middle of the fight it's a submission.

Logic is there though. Expressing or implying that you are unable to continue in the middle of a round is a submission. Not "getting up" from your corner is a TKO.

I think fights finished by strikes should be considered TKO's, even if a fighter taps/verbally submits. The same way someone getting choked out without tapping is considered a technical submission, not a knockout.

Also, when a fighter has an opponents back on the ground and the opponent stands up, only to be tripped/slammed back down from that same position, it should not count as a takedown (it doesn't in wrestling itself). Love Khabib, but if I recall correctly his takedown record against Trujillo shouldn't stand.

Misleading statistics.

Whats to think about? He didnt, if benson had beat pettis he would hold the record for most title defense at lw but he didnt.

I think fights finished by strikes should be considered TKO's, even if a fighter taps/verbally submits. The same way someone getting choked out without tapping is considered a technical submission, not a knockout.

But they submitted, so shouldn't it be a submission?

But they submitted, so shouldn't it be a submission?

Well if someone is choked unconscious and doesn't submit, is that a knockout?

It seems logical, but in the case of our sport submission is used to also mean submission hold/joint lock/choke. I think it would be much less statistically confusing way to go about things. Is it not confusing to say JDS submitted Cro Cop when he didn't use a hold/lock/choke? Maybe we should start using different terminology? Wins by Strikes, rather than (T)KO and wins by submission hold, rather than the confusing double meaning of just submission. I think it would be much less confusing to just use TKO to mean any finish due to strikes.

Well if someone is choked unconscious and doesn't submit, is that a knockout?

It seems logical, but in the case of our sport submission is used to also mean submission hold/joint lock/choke. I think it would be much less statistically confusing way to go about things. Is it not confusing to say JDS submitted Cro Cop when he didn't use a hold/lock/choke? Maybe we should start using different terminology? Wins by Strikes, rather than (T)KO and wins by submission hold, rather than the confusing double meaning of just submission. I think it would be much less confusing to just use TKO to mean any finish due to strikes.

Makes sense.

Also, on the actual topic, if JDS-Cro Cop were ruled a TKO, then Liddell-Horn would also be considered a TKO, as the situations were nearly identical (submission due to loss of vision due to strikes) and Chuck would have the record with 7 (Ortiz 1, White, Couture 2, Horn 2, Couture 3, Babalu 2, Ortiz 2).

Edit: Isn't it strange that Liddell's legendary run was bookended by losses to Rampage and wins over Ortiz?

Rampage, Tito, White, Couture, Horn, Couture, Babalu, Tito, Rampage.

With Horn as the centre, even the Couture wins are symmetrical. Strange.

Last edited:
Back