if James Toney is worth 500k why not Nick Diaz?

It's not about the money now. Nick has turned down everything fight they have offered him.

He wants a title match against Hendricks or a fight against Anderson Silva. The latter may happen eventually but he's not going to leap frog the division and I'm glad the UFC is sticking with that.

Diaz just doesn't want to fight.

On the contrary, Nick has said in recent interviews that's he's feeling great and is ready to fight again. He's just not willing to fight and risk his health anymore for less money than he thinks he deserves.

Because it's not about talent, but about how much money you can generate in PPV unfortunately. Mighty Mouse is worth more than 500k, but he doesn't get the same butts in seats as Kimbo slice or some other freakshow.

Seriously OP? I had to make a thread to figure this out?

Toney was just Dana's ego, and Dana was already regretting it before the fight even happened.
I don't know if they thought Toney would bring in boxing fans because he wasn't a super popular fighter. Sure he had been around forever and held a bunch of titles, real boxing fans know him but he didn't have popularity that extends to casual fans like Roy Jones jr for instance.
Toney was definately not worth 500k to set the sport back a decade.

I really don't know what Nick's draw value is in comparison to other fighters. You would hope with all the buys the UFC are doing they could pay their main card fighters 100k and up and marquee fighters at least 500k. Thats still nothing compared to what boxing promoters have to pay out in percentage of gate. But they have a screw their fighters to build THEIR business that so many idiots on this website defend.

if James Toney is worth 500k why not Nik Lentz?

He's ranked #9 in the world, unlike Nick Diaz who is unranked.

Please try to explain how Nik Lentz is not worth more than Nick Diaz or James Toney, because I have a real tough time understanding how the world works :(

The thread should have ended at this point.

Nick Diaz gave the UFC close to 1 million buys for that fight, and helped give GSP the highest buy rate of his career.

You reckon it was GSP who got most of the buys though, as he's one of the biggest draws in MMA history?

The request isn't the problem per se. First of all, Diaz probably made more than 500K for the GSP fight. So he probably wants 500K guaranteed and then PPV points or something.

All that is baseless speculation on my part. More to the point though, UFC can't allow either Diaz to hold out for more money. Dangerous precedent.

What is to stop Jon Jones, Ronda etc. from doing the same if it works?

Diaz bros are doing the right thing. But so is the UFC.

I disagree I think Nate holding out for more money is unwarranted he has not earned a raise.

Because it's not about talent, but about how much money you can generate in PPV unfortunately. Mighty Mouse is worth more than 500k, but he doesn't get the same butts in seats as Kimbo slice or some other freakshow.

How is he worth more if he can't bring in a large amount of fans? Askren was the best fighter in Bellator yet he was worth nothing to them. Diaz brings more interest and fans to his fights than MM does.

Didnt the Hendricks fight draw much lower numbers?

Yes, GSP fought Hendricks right after Nick Diaz and ended up having his lowest buy rate in five years. 600k buys with Hendricks vs 950k buys with Nick Diaz. Clearly Nick Diaz has drawing power and deserves to get paid more as a result.

James Toney was a STAR. Also, Dana is a huge mark for has-been boxers.

Plus, Nick Diaz had no leverage when he came to UFC (Bellator wasn't on Spike at the time).

Toney was never really a star. He was on the cusp of being a very big name at MW and SMW in the 90s, but he never really made it, and then after beating Jirov and Holyfield in the early 00s at CW and HW, his stock momentarily shot up again, but he never became a genuine star in boxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back