If Im planning on competing in MMA?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Staring At Fate, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

Should I buy a pair of MMA gloves and starting hitting the bags/pads with them instead of regular boxing gloves? I heard gloves develops power among other things but then I would assume it would be a harder transition to smaller gloves, can someone that trains shed some light on this.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

Don't compete myself, but I've trained with plenty of guys who do and they do all their bag/pad work with boxing gloves. Some might use bag gloves, but I've tried doing bag work with mma gloves once and tore the hell out of my knucles.

3. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

[​IMG]

If you are, no. They don't provide enough support/protection for striking training. You would be better served by proper 16oz sparring gloves and proper bag gloves.

You could use them during some of your grappling training so you can adjust to how they feel, as they will provide an extra obstacle for training.

They do make MMA specific gloves for bag work, but I don't see the point.

4. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

No. Your hands don't stop needing protection just because you want to compete in MMA. MMA fighters use bag, super bag and sparring gloves just like boxers.

5. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I actually train with a guy who is getting ready for a fight in September and he uses 16oz for everything and only uses his 4oz for when he is doing sparring with takedowns or ground work just because he punches so hard it sucks for anyone sparring with him if they go slower than he does.

6. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

If you are planning on going into MMA you are best served by going into a gym. Hitting a heavy bag without much training isn't going to do you too much good. But if you are, use wraps and boxing bag gloves.