If I put down $100 on Jones and $100 down on Cormier is it a win-win?

If I put down $100 on Jones and $100 down on Cormier is it a win-win?

Its pretty much a win-win the way I see it

Either way I'm coming out wish some cash

it's actually a lose lose.
If the favorite wins, you get less than the money you bet.

i.e. Jon is a favorite and pays $80 for every $100 you bet on him
So you lose $20 (from the $100 you bet on DC).

If DC wins, (let's say he pays $120 for every $100 you bet on him), you get a wooping $20.

The whole point of betting is betting on one side.
You might lose money. but at least if you win, you get a lot more money than betting on both sides.

I can't believe I've been doing it all wrong until today.

Thank you for enlightening me, TS.

795.gif

That's why we should always wear a condom, folks , because people like TS get born.

Last edited:
So essentially what I have created is a way in minimizing risk

It was predictable that you'd come back and try to spin this considering the ridiculousness of the original post. Soon, you'll pretend to just be a troll.

You haven't minimized risk, you've wasted money by betting against yourself without any line movement.

If Jones wins, you've lost $35. If you simply bet $35 on Cormier to win $50.75, you're making a better bet than gambling $100 both ways.

Doing the nonsense you posted, you lose that $35 if Jones wins, and only make $45 if Cormier wins. Congratulations on being the first to beat the system!

The gambling line is far too efficient to arbitrage.

If the absolute value of the favorite odds is greater than the underdog odds,there is no mispricing to capitalize on.Do the math.

In this example,Jones is -165,Cormier is +145. Absolutely value of Jones is 165,which is greater than 145.No dice

If Cormier was greater than + 170,we would be in business,but you still have to figure out the correct ratio to bet to make it riskless.

So essentially what I have created is a way in minimizing risk

No, what you've done is hedged your bet up front.

The only way to get close to a win-win would be to bet 100 on Cormier when the line first appeared at +225 or whatever it was, and then bet 100 on jones right before the fight starts to let it get as close to even as possible (assuming it's moving closer to even and not away).

That way you would at least be breaking even (or close to it) if JJ wins, and you would win a better chunk of cash if DC wins. Even that would be a break even or win, still not a win-win.

Making the 100$ bets right now will get you LOSING 40$ if JJ wins, and only winning 45$ if Cormier wins.

As someone else pointed out, you could just bet 40$ on cormier and nothing else, and you'd be in better shape. You could still lose 40$ if JJ wins (just like before), but if DC wins, you win MORE than the 45$ that your way would have gotten you.

Stop derping so hard.

I had never thought about it, but you might be able to make money betting on both sides but only if it's at different places ( or different times) with different odds. That's not what you were talking about but it would work if you find the right odds.

it's actually a lose lose.
If the favorite wins, you get less than the money you bet.

i.e. Jon is a favorite and pays $80 for every $100 you bet on him
So you lose $20 (from the $100 you bet on DC).

If DC wins, (let's say he pays $120 for every $100 you bet on him), you get a wooping $20.

The whole point of betting is betting on one side.
You might lose money. but at least if you win, you get a lot more money than betting on both sides.

You'll lose money with any possible result, or am I doing it wrong?

$200 bet ($100 on each)

DC wins: +$120

So you'll be still down $80.

TS just found a way to bet with no money to be made in any outcome.

Edit: I saw my stupid mistake. Call me TS buddy now, lol.

This is a can't-lose strategy. You should bet a lot more than $100.

You'll lose money with any possible result, or am I doing it wrong?

$200 bet ($100 on each)

DC wins: +$120

So you'll be still down $80.

TS just found a way to bet with no money to be made in any outcome.

you get the 120 on top of what you bet on DC so you'd make $20 profit

The underdog odds need to exceed what you lay on the favorite. .A decent bookmaker will never let that happen,and if happened,it would only occur for a nano second.smart money would buy the underdog driving down the odds and the bookies would adjust accordingly.
FYI,what you spoke of use to happen in the financial and commodity markets .it's called arbitrage.

I had never thought about it, but you might be able to make money betting on both sides but only if it's at different places ( or different times) with different odds. That's not what you were talking about but it would work if you find the right odds.

Holy cow guys.... how has this thread gone on this long?

Bet A: -$100
Bet B: -$100
Total Bet: -$200
Assured Loss is -$100

Bet A Wins: +$61
Bet B Loss: -$100
Net Profit is: -$39

Bet A Loss: -$100
Bet B Wins: +$145
Net Profit is: +$45

The money in your account after a Jones win is a net loss. The winnings from a Cormier victory are cut because you tried to cover your bet. You're hedging your bets, essentially.

I sometimes wonder if you guys understand the amount of time/effort that goes into making these numbers. Vegas would absolutely love it if everyone bet both sides on matches that were this hard to predict.

Thank you for this....although this thread has been a little entertaining!

show me where we can get that line

you guys are dumb. TS is smart. its called HEDGING your bet. its the smart safe play. THe guys on wallstreeet who run HEDGEFUNDS do the exact same thing, and they make millions.

you guys are dumb. TS is smart. its called HEDGING your bet. its the smart safe play. THe guys on wallstreeet who run HEDGEFUNDS do the exact same thing, and they make millions.

hedgefunding at its finest. I've studied the market and know it well.

There is a real arb to be had by betting Siver on Sportbet and McGregor on SportsInt.

Back