if Holloway defends convincingly against an elite wrestler next, I'm ready to call him GOAT FW

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 512089

He has an incredible resume. He has incredible skills. But as much as that is he never faced an elite wrestler, and we know that is what defines one greatness in the UFC today. Ricardo Lamas is the best wrestler he fought and he doesn't wrestle very much to be honest.

Imo he needs to defend against Frankie next. Yes he's on a 1 fight win streak but who cares, it's Frankie effin Edgar. They were supposed to meet so book it again. And Frankie isnt getting any younger so now's the time.

If not I would like to see him face Chad mendes if he gets past volkanovski.

If he does accomplish that and defend convincingly against one of the two at least, he's on par with Aldo as far as FW GOAT goes in my book.

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two words for you, brother...

Conor McGregor.

He already has beaten a good wrestler in Ricardo Lamas. To me it's not about defending the belt against a wrestler but getting just a few more defenses in altogether.

Frankie is not the good old Frankie anymore. So not really a test for Max.

There is not so much for him left in FW as well. Seems like he is way ahead of the rest. I'd love to see him at 155 but wondering how will he handle the higher WC. He is anyway a volume striker not a KO artist - should be fine.

Definitely an impressive fighter! at this age... props!

If he where to beat Frankie then Mendes (maybe not mendes but he would be up there) in his next 2 defences they would be his best wins, yet they would still be older slower versions of the fighters Aldo beat twice each. As Holloway said, lets wait until he is 30 and then make a comparison.

Does a win over Conor outshine a win over an elite wrestler with regard to GOAT status?

I would say so, yes. Unless Conor doesn't fight seriously anymore and loses his next 3 fights then maybe not.

In Aldo fans minds max will never be FW goat

If he gets 8 title defenses (which puts him on like a 20 fight win streak) the’ll still say Aldo is the goat because he got 9

If he does get 9 or more title defenses they’ll still say Aldo is the goat because he went without a loss for ten years

If max goes without a loss for ten years or more they’ll make up something else

In Aldo fans minds max will never be FW goat

If he gets 8 title defenses (which puts him on like a 20 fight win streak) the’ll still say Aldo is the goat because he got 9

If he does get 9 or more title defenses they’ll still say Aldo is the goat because he went without a loss for ten years

If max goes without a loss for ten years or more they’ll make up something else

If Holloway beats Edgar next and has another 2 maybe 3 defences against really good opposition then I think the discussion could be taken more seriously with a possible argument of quality over quantity. As it stands only Holloway fans and Joe 'Hype' Rogan are making the claim.

He has an incredible resume. He has incredible skills. But as much as that is he never faced an elite wrestler, and we know that is what defines one greatness in the UFC today. Ricardo Lamas is the best wrestler he fought and he doesn't wrestle very much to be honest.

Imo he needs to defend against Frankie next. Yes he's on a 1 fight win streak but who cares, it's Frankie effin Edgar. They were supposed to meet so book it again. And Frankie isnt getting any younger so now's the time.

If not I would like to see him face Chad mendes if he gets past volkanovski.

If he does accomplish that and defend convincingly against one of the two at least, he's on par with Aldo as far as FW GOAT goes in my book.

What's your opinion ?
I like the frankie Edgar idea and I also like the Volkanovski idea.

He needs to beat Zabit to earn the GOAT FW Title imo, him beating Mendes would also make it pretty hard to not him call him the GOAT FW as well, but we need Max x Zabit.

If Holloway beats Edgar next and has another 2 maybe 3 defences against really good opposition then I think the discussion could be taken more seriously with a possible argument of quality over quantity. As it stands only Holloway fans and Joe 'Hype' Rogan are making the claim.

I think when you put an ass whoopin on the supposed FW goat twice, that counts as like 5 or 6 title defenses right there..maybe more...beating aldo certainly counts more than just defending against faber or korean zombie or cub swanson, etc....when you beat the goat, that ranks very high on quality list.

EVERYONE!

Stop with the: GOAT
Greatest
Of
All
Time

Because, history has always shown that in the future, there will be some new wild dog, record setting athlete who will make yesterdays athletes looks primitive...Every sport has done this so MMa is no different!

GOCT is the correct phrase

Greatest of Current Time!

He needs to beat Zabit to earn the GOAT FW Title imo, him beating Mendes would also make it pretty hard to not him call him the GOAT FW as well, but we need Max x Zabit.
Zabit?! I think Zabit could be a tough fight fo Max one day, but Max beating Zabit doesn't do much for his divisional GOAT status. Zabit doesn't even have a top 10 win yet.

Back