If Henderson wins the mw belt and retires

I was just talking about this with a friend. It could be like when strikeforce did one for the hw belt. It would be really cool imo.

Would you like to see the ufc do a MW Tourney for the belt? They could put the top 8 on the roster in a bracket, even do a lottery drawing for matchups. I think it would be epic and fair to all the top guys who think they deserve a shot.
The UFC is one big tourney. People have already been fighting for their respective rankings.

Also The UFC is special in that rematches can be made. Now that Bisping won the title he has leverage to arrange a rematch for his knockout loss to Henderson.

This is just information to help you realize what The UFC has going on is already a special epic tourney. Like WWE without the fixed results.

The UFC is one big tourney. People have already been fighting for their respective rankings.

Also The UFC is special in that rematches can be made. Now that Bisping won the title he has leverage to arrange a rematch for his knockout loss to Henderson.

This is just information to help you realize what The UFC has going on is already a special epic tourney. Like WWE without the fixed results.
I see your point but no it's not. It's an entertainment franchise that promotes favoritism in it's title matchups. In a TOURNAMENT when you lose you don't get a rematch and you don't get to cherry pick favorable matchups.

Not realalistic due to injuries. At least we can dream

It's a brilliant idea and I'd love to see it, but I dont think the UFC would do that. Sadly.
I don't know why they wouldn't. I would put the 6 match ups leading up to the actual championship fight on Fox (2 different nights), it would get a ton of interest and then I'd do the championship fight on a giant PPV with other big names. Since the Bisping v Hendo fight goes down Oct 8. The the first 4 fights of the tourney in December some time just in case Bisping needs some time to recover. The next two could be in late March and they could actually do the championship for international fight week. I think doing that would make the MW division the most popular in the sport.

Bellator and Rizin have both done tournaments recently; not sure why everyone is so sure this could never happen.

They were an annual event in Pride and all hugely successful.

If Hendo wins then retires, Sherdog logic dictates that we'll never have a legit MW champion again. it will be a paper belt forever.

That logic only applies if Hendo beats the top MW. Beating Bisping might give him the belt, but everyone knows this whole thing is a joke now.

I would love it but the UFC doesn't have the stones to hold a huge tournament. A real one not like TUF.
They held a tournament just a few years ago for the FLW title. I can't blame them for not doing it again.

I posted about exactly this in a thread earlier. I think it should be a 4 man tourney between Yoel, Jacare, Weidman, and Rockhold. I'd put the first round as Yoel vs. Rockhold and Jacare vs. Weidman since those fights haven't happened yet.

You should be the UFC match maker. I like that idea.

That logic only applies if Hendo beats the top MW. Beating Bisping might give him the belt, but everyone knows this whole thing is a joke now.
Post USADA Bisping is a legit champ

You should be the UFC match maker. I like that idea.
I like the idea of making millions of dollars to do an easy fucking job. I mean, the best fighters in the world get thrown on your lap, and you just get to pick which ones fight each other. Not a bad gig.

I posted about exactly this in a thread earlier. I think it should be a 4 man tourney between Yoel, Jacare, Weidman, and Rockhold. I'd put the first round as Yoel vs. Rockhold and Jacare vs. Weidman since those fights haven't happened yet.

Yes, but that's pretty much what UFC 189 felt like it was supposed to be.

Dunno if you can blame the UFC or Romero for what happened next though....

yea, I think you mean UFC 194 (I had to look it up), but Bisping fucked all of that up. If Hendo takes it and retires, those 4 are still the most deserving to fight for the title. And Bisping can fight Vitor if revenge matches against TRT guys is what he's looking for.

Sorry, you're right. UFC 194.

I wouldn't say that Bisping fucked it up though, he was just in the right place at the right time.

What I mean is that after Rockhold beat Weidman and Romero beat Jacare, the two winners should have fought and the two losers should have first. But they booked a Rockhold v Weidman rematch....

....the important detail I can't remember is what came first - the booking of the rematch of Romero's suspension?

A tournament would be amazing! I'd make it like an eight man tourney though. It may take some time but it would lead to great fights. Have a few alternate fights as well so that in case anyone gets hurt we have an alternate that had to win a fight that can take his place.

Who I'd include:

Jacare
Romero
Weidman
Rockhold
Bisping
Whitaker
Mousasi
Anderson

There are probably a few guys ranked above a few of these guys that are more deserving. Certainly Anderson. I'd include him though just because there is a good storyline there and if he wins a few fights then it's pretty much the ultimate comeback story.

For the few people I left out that could make a case for being in the tourney, let them fight as alternates. People like Brunson and Vitor or Hall. I'd have two alternate fights, that way if one of your alternates is hurt you have another, or if two guys get hurt you have two alternates that are more or less top 10 guys. It worked out well for Cormier in the strikeforce tourney.

The ufc will never do it, but I'd love to see it happen. Even if it dragged out for well over a year.

They could do it but they would do it invlolving the top 8 guys over the span of 3 ppvs...
I would do it over 2 ppvs....the first 2 rounds in the same night (which would be pride like epic) and then the final title match in its own ppv

Back