If Hector Lombard gets past Marquardt can he break into the WW top 10?

Jimmy Jumper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Champion : Georges St-Pierre

1. Johny Hendricks

2. Carlos Condit

3. Rory MacDonald

4. Jake Ellenberger

5. Demian Maia

6. Nick Diaz

7. Martin Kampmann

8. Jake Shields

9. Robbie Lawler

10. Matt Brown

UFC Site has yet to rank Shields over Maia yet but Whatevs.

Kampmann vs Lombard, or if Lawler fails to Rory, Lawler vs Lombard, I feel would be a great fights with Hector having fair odds.

I don't see Marquardt in the top 10 so I fail to see how a win over him gets Lombard into the top 10

Worded that wrong, I meant if he could get a top 10 matchup after Nate

In that case, yes. Winner of Marquardt/Hector will be just outside the top 10 and should deserve a step up to a top 10 opponent

If Hector wins, give him some combination of Kampmann or loser of Condit/Brown or Lawler/Rory

If he wins give him Dong in China, winner of that fight has done more then Matt Brown if he loses to Condit.

I dont have him in the top 10 yet...Nate is not ranked and pretty much everyone at WW is doing well. Although, I dont know what Nick Diaz is doing in there and at #6??? He hasnt won a fight since BJ and that was how long ago?? He has lost his last 2

Diaz at 6 is pretty crazy.

Nasty Nate can definitely do it.

He was a mainstay at 185 lbs. but honestly Lombard is a dangerous fight.

He was the legitimate number 1 contender at 185 before he left to SF right?

If he loses 1 or 2, he can always do the sneaky contract extension by moving back up to 185.

DHK vs Lombard is what I want to see.

Guessing this guy missed shields beating maia....

EDIT: re-read and saw he was showing un-updated rankings courtesy of the UFC.

How isn't DHK in the top ten?

This dude's got a point.

A grand total of 2 losses and one of them being a bullshit rib injury, which Maia had no intention of doing.

He's no doubt top 10 and should be handed a top 5 in his next.

I know this is wrong because events will happen before it all goes down, but he should get a rematch with Maia, and if he wins, he should fight like Rory for the number 1 contender spot.

this is my view on lombard. If he can consistently make 170, he's going to murder guys. paul harris just beat pierce in under a minute, and imo he made alot of guys at 170 cringe in fear........not lombard. He must of saw that fight and laughed, Hectors gonna ko nate, well.....lets just say he's gonna finish nate spectacularly . I really wanna see Hector vs koscheck.....holy shit!

personally I feel lombard is already top 10. so i don't see why not.

Guessing this guy missed shields beating maia....

EDIT: re-read and saw he was showing un-updated rankings courtesy of the UFC.

These rankings are updated since UFC FN 29. Shields wasn't ranked in the top 10 prior.

Problem is though the UFC's rankings are averaged. Some guys rank some higher than others and some lower than others, so you get some weird rankings when people don't agree on certain fighters.

Also, the Brazillian media consistently rank Brazilian fighters who lost, above fighters who beat them. This week we have:

Flavio Canto (Sensei Sportv): Maia at 8 and Shields unranked
Ivan Raupp (Globoesporte.com): Maia at 5, Shields at 8
Fernando Rudnick (Gazeta do Povo): Maia at 6, Shields at 10
Ana Hissa (Munda da Luta): Maia at 5, Shields at 6
Mario Filho (OSS TV): Maia at 6, Shields unranked
Marcelo Russio (Canal Combate): Maia at 6, Shields unranked
Davi Correira (Veja.com):Maia at 5, Shields unranked
Jorge Correa (UOL Brazil): Maia at 4, Shields at 10
Ivan Dias Marques (Correio): Maia at 7, Shields unranked
Alexandre Matos (MMA Brasil) Maia at 5, Shields at 7

Last edited:
Back