Elections "If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be in the front row" - Mississippi Senate candidate

With how things are, why wouldn't say this? Dumb

OK. I don't really want to side track this thread about what seems to me to be very racist and ugly statement by a Mississippi Republican into a thread about dumb things lefties have said.

But in response to the claim that left wingers don't call Trump Hitler, it's very easy to point out that major left wing media outlets have done so many times. And the both-sidism here doesn't hold up well imo. The extent to which Trump is Hitler comparisons are mainstream has no parallel either in Dem or other Republican administrations. I see a big distinction between anti-Obama memes and Harvard professors warning that Trump is a new Hitler.

Yeah, I did not say nobody called Trump Hitler. I actually specifically stated that Trump gets called Hitler, and then I said that every President gets called Hitler. You don't seem to have read what I wrote, here it is again:

Then when Trump was compared to Hitler, the same right wingers who had been calling Obama "Literally Hitler" (with an entire page dedicated to producing propaganda), they used the same phrase to mock liberals.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/literally-hitler

All Presidents have been compared to Hitler by somebody. That is pretty much par for the course.

But by all means, continue talking about the "dumb things lefties say," but it does not come across well when the phrase was coined by a group of right wingers. It also does not come across well when you guys frequent the meme thread that popularized that type of thing in the first place.

Not directly. But who else would she be referring to her supporter hanging publicly? The easiest way to understand her oblique comment was that if her supporter hanged her opponent, she'd attend the hanging enthusiastically.

Pure assumption. It's just a phrase.

Yeah, I did not say nobody called Trump Hitler. I actually specifically stated that Trump gets called Hitler, and then I said that every President gets called Hitler. You don't seem to have read what I wrote, here it is again:

But by all means, continue talking about the "dumb things lefties say," but it does not come across well when the phrase was coined by a group of right wingers. It also does not come across well when you guys frequent the meme thread that popularized that type of thing in the first place.

I did read what you wrote, and I acknowledge that in internet memes I have seen Obama depicted as Hitler. My counterpoint is that internet memes comparing Obama to Hitler are not the same imo to Harvard professors calling Trump Hitler or to the New York Times and Washington Post running serious articles comparing Trump to Hitler and other fascists. The extent, the seriousness, and the mainstream nature of comparisons between Trump and Hitler are unique.

A more cogent argument for both-sidism here would be linking to Fox News or the Wall Street Journal explicitly linking Obama and Hitler. Right now, your defense for the irresponsible and delusional comparisons of Trump to Hitler by people who really ought to know better is, "but but Cint."

Pure assumption. It's just a phrase.

No one knows precisely what she meant, so both her critics and her defenders are assuming. You are assuming as much as I am.

But I think her critics have better grounds for their assumptions than her defenders do. Anyway, if she meant something different, she should explain just what she meant.

OK. I don't really want to side track this thread about what seems to me to be very racist and ugly statement by a Mississippi Republican into a thread about dumb things lefties have said.

But in response to the claim that left wingers don't call Trump Hitler, it's very easy to point out that major left wing media outlets have done so many times. And the both-sidism here doesn't hold up well imo. The extent to which Trump is Hitler comparisons are mainstream has no parallel either in Dem or other Republican administrations. I see a big distinction between anti-Obama memes and Harvard professors warning that Trump is a new Hitler.
You might think I'm nitpicking and being difficult, but I was literally referring to the phrase "literally Hitler" which wasn't coined by liberals or is used by them. I'll agree that people are too eager to make comparisons between 21st century politicians and Hitler, but that's not solely a liberal thing at all.

Calling feminists "feminazis" is a similar accusation. It's especially silly since nazis were very anti-feminist, but I digress.

It is however not unfair to look at parallels between upcoming fascist regimes in the 20th century and political climate today, without jumping to immediate conclusions. Calling news "fake news" is basically "lügenpresse" in a modern jacket.

I did read what you wrote, and I acknowledge that in internet memes I have seen Obama depicted as Hitler. My counterpoint is that internet memes comparing Obama to Hitler are not the same imo to Harvard professors calling Trump Hitler or to the New York Times and Washington Post running serious articles comparing Trump to Hitler and other fascists. The extent, the seriousness, and the mainstream nature of comparisons between Trump and Hitler are unique.

A more cogent argument for both-sidism here would be linking to Fox News or the Wall Street Journal explicitly linking Obama and Hitler. Right now, your defense for the irresponsible and delusional comparisons of Trump to Hitler by people who really ought to know better is, "but but Cint."

This is some sort of joke right? Certainly somebody as politically aware as you could make a list of people who compared Obama to Hitler or Nazis. Do you want me to compile a list for you? The people on the list will certainly be more influential than a college professor.

@IngaVovchanchyn Another ad hitlerum often used by right wingers is "first thing Hitler did was take away citizens' guns!".

When you're running for Senate in a state that is the former lynching capital of the country and your opponent is the state's first-ever black Congressman, this folksy comment could be construed as....inappropriate.

Or brilliant. I honestly can't tell anymore.

https://www.nola.com/national_polit...uts-spotlight-on-mississippi-senate-race.html
https://www.gq.com/story/mississippi-senate-race-runoff

To be fair, I might feel the same way. It all depends who was dancing the Hemp Fandango;)

@IngaVovchanchyn Another ad hitlerum often used by right wingers is "first thing Hitler did was take away citizens' guns!".

Good point. I'd put this in the same category with your earlier example of fake news, which are both more constructive than other ad Hitlerums, because they point to erosion or potential erosion of key limitations on government power: the press and an armed citizenry respectively.

Whoa, @IngaVovchanchyn we already had this discussion. Lol. This was from this summer:

"They called Obama Hitler for eight years." Who did? Anyone famous or interesting? Any major political figures?

What a strange rebuttal this was. So we acknowledge that the phrase "literally Hitler" was coined by people who hated Obama, and spread online for near a decade.

And your response is, "But did anyone famous say it?" Huh. Well, to answer your question, yes, a lot of Republicans compared Obama to Hitler over the years. The Iowa Tea Party, the Republican Women of Arundel County, Thomas Sowell, Congressman Randy Weber, Bishop Daniel Jenky, Arizona Rep Brenda Barton, Ken Longone (Home Depot CEO), Hank Williams, Louie Gohmert, Paul Broun, etc.

Honestly, I could dig up dozens of examples of people making direct comparisons on TV or in print. I remember a few people making comments in interviews, and I remember a Pastor calling him Hilter too, etc, etc.

Suddenly people became sensitive to it when it was said about Trump. But then, those same people started calling teenagers Hitler because they advocated for gun control.

So, obviously they are 100% phony. But we already knew that.

I could add more actually. Huckabee said Obama's foreign policy was "Marching the Israelis right to the door of the over." Ben Carson said Obama's government was the "Gaestapo age" and that the government under Obama was "very much like nazi Germany."

I could go on, and on, and on. Nobody on the right cared when Obama was constantly compared to Hitler, and there was not an online left-wing presence to mock it.

No one knows precisely what she meant, so both her critics and her defenders are assuming. You are assuming as much as I am.

But I think her critics have better grounds for their assumptions than her defenders do. Anyway, if she meant something different, she should explain just what she meant.

I disagree. Everyone knows what she meant. She was complimenting her friend using an oddly phrased joke. That is what she was intending and everyone knows it.

Being optimistic, she was saying that he was a likeable enough person that if he invited her to something unpleasant she would still go enthusiastically. But I don't often give Mississippi the benefit of the doubt.

I disagree. Everyone knows what she meant. She was complimenting her friend using an oddly phrased joke. That is what she was intending and everyone knows it.

1. You're making an assumption.
2. I don't know it.
3. This is worse than your garden variety oddly phrased joke, particularly given the context.

The easiest and most natural thing to do in politics is to defend your side and condemn the other. I think we all defend things we shouldn't and condemn things we shouldn't for partisan reasons sometimes, most often without even realizing it. I think you're stretching to find a way that this comment was horrible and racist, but you'd probably recognize it as horrible and racist if a Dem had said it. We've all been guilty of that.

However, I think one can be loyal to an ideology and set of principle without defending everything representatives of that ideology do or say. I think we'd all be better off if Republicans called out offenders on their own side and Dems called out offenders on their own side. Oppositional politics is pretty effective at weeding out the worst individuals, but I think its better still when we police our own on top of that.

Being optimistic, she was saying that he was a likeable enough person that if he invited her to something unpleasant she would still go enthusiastically.

It is not an expression I have ever heard used, though it may actually exist in the South. It's odd, however, in that we know from history that public hangings were actually extremely popular and whole families would make a day of it, pack a lunch, and treat it like a picnic.

In other words, when they were "a thing" public hangings were the OPPOSITE of a dreaded, miserable event. The expression is idiotic on that basis alone.

Btw way to accuse black women of committing genocide. Republicans wonder why black people dont vote for them.

Fun fact, Nazis were publically hanged after 1945. Doesn't that bring a smile to your face?

Back