Elections "If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be in the front row" - Mississippi Senate candidate

I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt that this was just a very bizarre, Freudian slip simply because it is so stupid and crass thay even actual racists would be a bit disgusted by it.

One time I was talking with a female friend, busting her balls over some guy who hadn't texted her back. A mutual female friend, let's call her Jane, comes over and asks what happened to the guy. Now, Jane had just recently beaten cancer after years of treatment. I knew this, but in that moment I strangely second guessed my self. I was gonna say to Jane "He died of AIDS" but then I freaked out and thought "no, wait, Jane just recently suffered from AIDS" which is an insane thing to think and completely wrong.

So instead, I looked at Jane, the girl who had recently battled cancer, and I said "He died of cancer".

Shittiest feeling I've ever had in my life. The look on her face. Fuck me dead.

Anyway, I'm assuming something similar happened to this lady.

I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt that this was just a very bizarre, Freudian slip simply because it is so stupid and crass thay even actual racists would be a bit disgusted by it.

One time I was talking with a female friend, busting her balls over some guy who hadn't texted her back. A mutual female friend, let's call her Jane, comes over and asks what happened to the guy. Now, Jane had just recently beaten cancer after years of treatment. I knew this, but in that moment I strangely second guessed my self. I was gonna say to Jane "He died of AIDS" but then I freaked out and thought "no, wait, Jane just recently suffered from AIDS" which is an insane thing to think and completely wrong.

So instead, I looked at Jane, the girl who had recently battled cancer, and I said "He died of cancer".

Shittiest feeling I've ever had in my life. The look on her face. Fuck me dead.

Anyway, I'm assuming something similar happened to this lady.
Lol...

meh, when I think "public" hanging, I think state sponsored execution, which applied to every race, typically the poor.

I don't really think of the KKK lynchings in the dark of night or a racial connotation based on what she said. More so like saying "I'd to see his ass get kicked". Typical pom pom cheerleading that you see across team based politics. I doubt she has any animosity towards her opponent nor was she attempting to dog whistle.

Dumb thing to say however.

giphy.gif
I'm a frayed knot.

So what. Public hangings should be brought back in western countries. You already have the death penalty. Evil scumbags should get the rope not a nice injection. And i wouldnt have an issue if the worst of worst were publically hanged. Kids dont need to see but young adults (uni students) should know that some evil deserves death rather than be codled.

Ahh our local sharia lover strikes again.

I can't think of anyway this comes off well. Even if she's joking, a joke alluding to hanging your opponent in the current climate is irresponsible in addition to being ugly. Also, the racism seems obvious here.

Uh. She didn't say anything about hanging her opponent.

Comments about public hangings in Mississippi are automatically racial.

It’s like arguing that a joke about gas chambers in Germany isn’t antisemetic.

Google: “Lynching Mississippi” and click on images if you want an illustration of why that is so.

Hanging and lynching are not the same thing. Also I don't believe gassing was a normal form of the death penalty in Germany.

It might not be a racist comment. They hung white criminals.

This. Public hangings were not the kkk type lynchings but court appointed as the death penalty tool. Seems like a lot being made out of nothing imo

Hanging and lynching are not the same thing. Also I don't believe gassing was a normal form of the death penalty in Germany.
Agreed.

This. Public hangings were not the kkk type lynchings but court appointed as the death penalty tool. Seems like a lot being made out of nothing imo

From what I read it was both. Lynchings were sometimes public until around the early 1900's when they became more secretive.

People are assuming that a public hanging is definitely a lynching which isn't true. People want to jump on racism here which is weird when hangings were used on everyone AND even if you want to talk about lynching back when lynchings were at their worst about 1/3 of all lynchings were on white people. I was surprised when I read that because when you hear people talk about it you would think 90+ percent of them were hate crimes on black people.

With that being said reading about lynchings made my stomach turn. Disgusting.

From what I read it was both. Lynchings were sometimes public until around the early 1900's when they became more secretive.

People are assuming that a public hanging is definitely a lynching which isn't true. People want to jump on racism here which is weird when hangings were used on everyone AND even if you want to talk about lynching back when lynchings were at their worst about 1/3 of all lynchings were on white people. I was surprised when I read that because when you hear people talk about it you would think 90+ percent of them were hate crimes on black people.

With that being said reading about lynchings made my stomach turn. Disgusting.

Yeah would imagine that public hangings were carried out on mostly whites prior to slavery ending anyway. It was free peoples that were sent to court tried and sentenced i imagine. The fact that you researched public lynchings to find out means most assuredly that the candidate did NOT mean racial lynchings but court appointed public hangings which were common. Most people would have taken it that way. Lynchings on whites you mentioned is interesting and may be from a form of "justice" for a criminal that a mob happened to catch.

A figure of speech isn't meant to be literal. Is it in poor taste, sure. But there's some serious Stretch Armstrong level of reaching going on over her comment.

Also, it's painfully obvious that leftists have lost all ability to discern figurative from literal. i.e. "OMG Trump LITERALLY HILTER!!! REEEEEEEEE!!!!"
Liberals never call him literally Hitler. It’s an ironic hyperbole started by right wingers.

Highlighting her local affiliations.

Just lets me know her old ass has been to a couple.

Remember they use to make a day trip out of hangings. That was a very fond mmemory for her.

Uh. She didn't say anything about hanging her opponent.

Not directly. But who else would she be referring to her supporter hanging publicly? The easiest way to understand her oblique comment was that if her supporter hanged her opponent, she'd attend the hanging enthusiastically.

Liberals never call him literally Hitler. It’s an ironic hyperbole started by right wingers.

Yes, liberals do literally call Trump Hitler. They've done it a lot. Right wingers certainly have fun with it, but they aren't making it up out of whole cloth. Here's some low-hanging fruit examples, but there are many more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...ly-a-formula-for-that/?utm_term=.d30581905353
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/florid...-poliyicians-trump-hitler-20181024-story.html
https://www.salon.com/2018/08/06/hi...adolf-hitler-my-resistance-is-being-overcome/

main-qimg-5e50aea311c6499079225d03246bd6e7

41YTUaadYiL._AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg

Yes, liberals do literally call Trump Hitler. They've done it a lot. Right wingers certainly have fun with it, but they aren't making it up out of whole cloth. Here's some low-hanging fruit examples, but there are many more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...ly-a-formula-for-that/?utm_term=.d30581905353
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/florid...-poliyicians-trump-hitler-20181024-story.html
https://www.salon.com/2018/08/06/hi...adolf-hitler-my-resistance-is-being-overcome/

main-qimg-5e50aea311c6499079225d03246bd6e7

41YTUaadYiL._AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg

The phrase "literally Hitler" was coined by a group of right wingers for Obama. It was a Reddit page full of "Obama is Hitler" memes.

Then when Trump was compared to Hitler, the same right wingers who had been calling Obama "Literally Hitler" (with an entire page dedicated to producing propaganda), they used the same phrase to mock liberals.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/literally-hitler

All Presidents have been compared to Hitler by somebody. That is pretty much par for the course. But the actually phrase "Literally Hitler" was created and popularized by right wingers for Obama in 2009.

When right wingers say "literally Hitler" in a mocking way, they are actually mocking something they came up with themselves. But they live in an online fantasy world where there are enough of them to just ignore that fact.

The phrase "literally Hitler" was coined by a group of right wingers for Obama. It was a Reddit page full of "Obama is Hitler" memes.

Then when Trump was compared to Hitler, the same right wingers who had been calling Obama "Literally Hitler" (with an entire page dedicated to producing propaganda), they used the same phrase to mock liberals.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/literally-hitler

All Presidents have been compared to Hitler by somebody. That is pretty much par for the course. But the actually phrase "Literally Hitler" was created and popularized by right wingers for Obama in 2009.

When right wingers say "literally Hitler" in a mocking way, they are actually mocking something they came up with themselves. But they live in an online fantasy world where there are enough of them to just ignore that fact.

OK. I don't really want to side track this thread about what seems to me to be very racist and ugly statement by a Mississippi Republican into a thread about dumb things lefties have said.

But in response to the claim that left wingers don't call Trump Hitler, it's very easy to point out that major left wing media outlets have done so many times. And the both-sidism here doesn't hold up well imo. The extent to which Trump is Hitler comparisons are mainstream has no parallel either in Dem or other Republican administrations. I see a big distinction between anti-Obama memes and Harvard professors warning that Trump is a new Hitler.

If she would have just apologized and explained herself and answered questions she wouldn’t look like SUCH an idiot. Having some staffer write a statement and hiding behind it and the governer makes this much worst and she deserves it now.

Back