If Gastelum stays at MW, what adjustments does he need to make?

Growing 5 inches or adding 3 rounds of cardio.
Eating healthy all year, not blowing up, adding some muscle.

He's 3-3 and 1 NC at MW, he needs to learn how stick to a diet and to fight at WW.

he could have won any one of those fights. he fucked weidman up... caughy izzy pretty good... lost a close decision to till. you guys are all underestimating him based on record. the reality is he can sleep any mw fighter

He should swallow his pride and go back to Dulce. Or someone else who will babysit him and make sure his caloric intake is consistent.

he could have won any one of those fights. he fucked weidman up... caughy izzy pretty good... lost a close decision to till. you guys are all underestimating him based on record. the reality is he can sleep any mw fighter
What you’re saying is true but just imagine all that speed and power down a weight class where he won’t be undersized and doesn’t give up a good amount of height and reach. WW Gastelum might be his potential unleashed.

Stop eating his Mommy's food all the time.

Less cheese
Less tacos
Less saturated fats
Less tortillas

Dude is an amazing fighter but he SHOULD be fighting at 170lbs and he knows it.

After the gargantuan amount of damage he took in that 10-6 final round against Izzy?

The main adjustment he needs is never to get back into a cage with Izzy.

Agree. Gastelum will probably never be the same after that fight.

The same as Johny Hendricks?

Burn that fat Gas! We all saw you running on that track. You looked like a non athletic obese. Stop skipping your cardio!

Judging from the size of his legs, he's not only skipping cardio - he's skipping his entire strength and conditioning routine most likely.

He's still young though, if he decides to go 100% on everything he'll be a monster.

He needs to work on his clinch game didn't Magny diffuse him using the clinch the same way Till did?

Also needs to work on defence, he eats some massive shots from heavy hitters. Guy ate Bombs from Jacare, Izzy and Woodly. It's only a matter of time before getting hit by beasts like that cracks your chin which his style relies on.

That's all he can do though. Weidman finished him, izzy knocked him down 4 times and Till completely neutralized his striking with a surprisingly better clinch game. He should fight at WW. It's not like he's never fought there, he should just go back. I dont think he has a good match up in the MW top 5 or top 10 so idk what he's doing there anymore

Head mooment
Blast doubles against the cage > gnp
Punish lazy middle and low kicks
Go for the body.
Volume and speed.

I’ve really grown into a fan of Kelvin so seeing him get completely shut down against Till was pretty disheartening. After that fight with Izzy, I was so high on this man and I really want him to succeed. Him being a southpaw and having some of the fastest hands in the division is so unique and the fact that he’s still Izzy’s hardest challenge so far says a lot about his potential as a MW. He has the tools to beat anybody but him being undersized isn’t helping but if he’s adamant at staying he has to make the proper adjustments. Realistically if Izzy gets through Romero and Costa and my boy can get a win streak going then I’d most definitely want to see the rematch where hopefully he can edge out the win.

He gave the Champ a great fight...

So he just needs to keep growing his game... by getting better footwork and rolling a bit better with the punches he will take with his engaging style.

No major changes

I thought this would happen when he fought the Gator Guy.... Boy was I wrong

tr2qGqN.jpg

He'd need to grow more into a full sized man.

Only fight shot old fighters who are coming off of losses and on their way out, it's his specialty.

Back