If Floyd lost to Castillo in their first matchup...

Floyd has borrowed heavily from hip-hop culture, the 0 gives him the legitimacy to brag harder than anyone else, the Money moniker aligns him with the hip hop moguls, the timing was perfect, his style and personality were unimportant, people today lap that shit up.

I honestly think his personality has been rather tame and boring the last few years. He has part of american culture brain washed into thinking they are TMT.

....hence why its so special. You are answering your own question.

Hes not an unproven up and comer or a big fish in a small pond.

I guess I just don't get the obsession with it, does anyone care that Canelo lost to Floyd? He was supposed to lose that fight.

What an awful post. My god.

I'd love to hear your reasons for the contrary. He would probably not have gotten the Oscar fight. He probably would not have the drawing power to sell people buying a Robert Guerrero or Victor Ortiz fight without the "0". Hell the whole 49-0 thing is everywhere leading up to his supposed career ending fight with Andre Berto.

I get that, just saying losses shouldn't hurt a guy if he's fighting tough competition necessarily.

Loses hurt, period. But it's not like people pretended fighters are no good, or not marketable after they lose (Pacquiao, M

Also, I need to clarify... If the decision went to Castillo in the first fight and Floyd went on to win over then years, he'd still be considered a great fighter at 48-1, but he would not have the leverage of saying I'm 49-0 "TBE".

I'd love to hear your reasons for the contrary. He would probably not have gotten the Oscar fight. He probably would not have the drawing power to sell people buying a Robert Guerrero or Victor Ortiz fight without the "0". Hell the whole 49-0 thing is everywhere leading up to his supposed career ending fight with Andre Berto.

Hes fought and beat everyone, including a ridiculous number of champions and hall of famers.

Trying to discredit that is fucking stupid, frankly.

"All about the 0..." That must be why he took the young killer that tons of people had bringing it to him. Padding that record.

I don't feel like wasting my breath...

Ortiz was highly regarded at the time also. The hindsight on him is wrong imo.

I don't even think the Judah fight was a cautious performance..I felt like he was efficient.. but I wouldnt rate it as cautious..he was beating the piss out of him..

I think the first time I seen him go completely cautious was probably in the Baldo fight.. I was in shock.. people were leaving.. and I really wasn't accustomed to people talking 9 kinds of shit to get people in the doors and then fighting safety first and fuck you and your price of admission..lol...

But you are right.. Mayweather was a killer for a lot of his career..that's why I don't accept the excuse for the Pac fight "we all knew what to expect from Floyd"... no we didn't... he shows up and fucks people up sometimes...I want to see that Floyd..I would buy every fight and rock a tmt hat if I could just see that Floyd everytime out...lol
You misunderstood me...I said it was the Judah fight that was the TURNING POINT to getting him to be more of a cautious fighter. They were both whupping each other for a lot of that fight until as you said he started beating the piss out of Zab down the stretch. I think a conscientious decision was made AFTER that fight to not take so much damage in order to give damage, (we all know the guy was almost put down early from a beautiful lead hook)...You said it yourself, the Baldo fight (his next fight was his first "safe" fight.

I agree with you, I just wish ONCE we could see the PBF Floyd again, the guy that was stomping guys out in 3-4 rounds and embarrassed Corrales and Gatti. Just one last time Floyd, please give us a lasting memory for your last fight. Wishful thinking.

I honestly think his personality has been rather tame and boring the last few years. He has part of american culture brain washed into thinking they are TMT.
I all started with the first 24/7 and everyone seeing Floyd talk all kinds of shit to promote the fight and jump into the heel role since Oscar was already loved by everyone. Since then he hasn't really been much of a problem other than people hating on his money and the way he's proud of it.
Also, I need to clarify... If the decision went to Castillo in the first fight and Floyd went on to win over then years, he'd still be considered a great fighter at 48-1, but he would not have the leverage of saying I'm 49-0 "TBE".
It's everything he's done SINCE the Oscar fight that's made him what he is right now.
There'd be no difference because by the Oscar fight he would've been on an 5 year win streak and had beaten everyone in the last 3-4 divisions they put in front of him. He would've talked the same amount of shit, the same amount of people would've bought the PPV and his win would've made him a household name just as big as it is now...That loss would've been too long ago to be a big deal now in 2015. That fight was 13 years ago guys. A more recent loss like to Cotto or even back to De La Hoya.....Now THATS a different issue.

A close loss to a guy then to beat him right away later pretty much erases the loss. Is Manny any less great because of the loss to Bradley, (regardless of how controversial it was, a Mayweather loss to Castillo would've been just as conflicted). Is Ray Leonard any less great because he lost to Duran the first time, or do we remember him more for basically making one of the greatest guys to step in the ring quit? I'm just not convinced that Floyd wouldn't be in the same place he is now if we just substituted that one fight with a loss and let the rest of his career over the next 13 years go as it has...

Last edited:
I all started with the first 24/7 and everyone seeing Floyd talk all kinds of shit to promote the fight and jump into the heel role since Oscar was already loved by everyone. Since then he hasn't really been much of a problem other than people hating on his money and the way he's proud of it.

It started during the Gatti fight build up.

Yeah well I could see that...He DID get into it with Gatti on several interviews leading up. Go figure it was his first Pay Per View fight. A testament to........

Nope. Mayweather's following PPV's after Gatti with Judah and Baldomir didnt do much business. The Money character was born in 2007 with HBO's 24/7 of the De La Hoya fight buildup. Floyd intelligently marketed it to perfection ever since

It's everything he's done SINCE the Oscar fight that's made him what he is right now.
There'd be no difference because by the Oscar fight he would've been on an 5 year win streak and had beaten everyone in the last 3-4 divisions they put in front of him. He would've talked the same amount of shit, the same amount of people would've bought the PPV and his win would've made him a household name just as big as it is now...That loss would've been too long ago to be a big deal now in 2015. That fight was 13 years ago guys. A more recent loss like to Cotto or even back to De La Hoya.....Now THATS a different issue.

A close loss to a guy then to beat him right away later pretty much erases the loss. Is Manny any less great because of the loss to Bradley, (regardless of how controversial it was, a Mayweather loss to Castillo would've been just as conflicted). Is Ray Leonard any less great because he lost to Duran the first time, or do we remember him more for basically making one of the greatest guys to step in the ring quit? I'm just not convinced that Floyd wouldn't be in the same place he is now if we just substituted that one fight with a loss and let the rest of his career over the next 13 years go as it has...

Yep if floyd has lost to castillo, he would have been on a 9 win streak heading into the oscar fight.

If floyd/castillo had a trilogy and floyd won the 3rd fight, he would have been on a 10 win streak.

Still though Manny isn't known as a great because of his record, he's great because of taking challenges, big challenges and winning almost all of them. Floyd has done it too, to a lesser extent, but IMO it's Floyd himself who has been pushing the "TBE" thing and now the 49-0 all comers have failed etc lines. It's like I said earlier, we all know Marciano, I don't think he's a top 10 all time heavy except for his record. It's just human nature that everyone respects the mythical "0"...
Everyone knows the 1972 Miami Dolphins, why? Because they were undefeated... Hell a lot of teams that came right after them were far better, but we don't remember them because they were not undefeated.

In relation to the Judah fight he wouldn't have gone for shots to the balls if he felt he was winning.

In relation to the Judah fight he wouldn't have gone for shots to the balls if he felt he was winning.

The fight was up for grabs at the time and Floyd was taking it off the table the previous round, when the shot to the nuts happened. You guys have heard me say this before, I believe Yoel told him if things got hard, go ahead and slow the guy down by hitting low. After it happened it looks like he regretted doing it, it was clearly intentional.

The way Floyd turned it on, is one of the classic fights in my opinion. Underrated fight.

I honestly don't think Judah meant to.. he seemed like he was genuinely sorry it happened after the fight.. you never know..but he seemed genuine

I honestly don't think Judah meant to.. he seemed like he was genuinely sorry it happened after the fight.. you never know..but he seemed genuine
That was obviously a deliberate low blow.

Back