If fight goes to the ground, who has advantage Ferg or Dariush?

It really depends on the circumstance.
If Beneil initiated the takedown, plants Tony square on his back and advances to half guard then Dariush is the only horse in the race.

However if there is a scramble where Beneil is not in complete control then Tony has the ability to pull crazy finishes out of his ass, and Beneil is not exactly elite on the ground so could well fall victim to some unorthodox Submission attempt or back take

i think dariush he saw that tony has weakness in his ground game he prob worked hard on it but i dont underestimate tony he has always something unexpected to bring
<TheWire1>
Pretty insightful for a Wednesday join date. I’m impressed

If beneils gas tank holds up , he should win everywhere.

But ....he's a notorious gasser ....gassing against tony could lead to him getting TKOd .

With better fight IQ, Dariush is a title contender. Problem is he willingly enters 50/50 striking exchanges throwing heat and taking hits for no reason.

If Dariush wanted to strategically out point Tony with grappling, he could. Its because he's both world class on the mat and Tony is in the back end of his career.

Tony is a finisher and he'll jump on whatever you give him, but he is quickly aging out of elite competition years. Personally I'm a big fan of both guys and I wouldn't mind seeing Tony get a W. Its a real possibility too. My head tells me Dariush can beat this version of Tony though.

It is all about the position.

Tony is exceptional off the sprawl, or on top. He scrambles well.

He is susceptible to being controlled on his back.

Also- how do they get there and are either of them rocked?

If Dariush is rocked and Tony stuffs a TD attempt Dariush is fucked.
If Tony is getting picked apart and gets put on his back, that is terrible for Tony.

With better fight IQ, Dariush is a title contender. Problem is he willingly enters 50/50 striking exchanges throwing heat and taking hits for no reason.

If Dariush wanted to strategically out point Tony with grappling, he could. Its because he's both world class on the mat and Tony is in the back end of his career.

Tony is a finisher and he'll jump on whatever you give him, but he is quickly aging out of elite competition years. Personally I'm a big fan of both guys and I wouldn't mind seeing Tony get a W. Its a real possibility too. My head tells me Dariush can beat this version of Tony though.
Dariush is no spring chicken either though.

and he has some wars and hard miles on him too.

I do think he may be a little more stable and maybe in a better mental state, certainly less pressure than Tony coming in off two bad losses after a dozen wins and subsequent inflated ego.

Who ever is on top.

Naturally the likely pick is Beneil because getting on top suits his game way more than Tony.

Dariush is no spring chicken either though.

and he has some wars and hard miles on him too.

I do think he may be a little more stable and maybe in a better mental state, certainly less pressure than Tony coming in off two bad losses after a dozen wins and subsequent inflated ego.

Fair enough - I'll add that if we examine their recent fights, Tony appears to be in decline and Dariush does not.

In MMA, mileage is not equal for all combatants. Its also pretty notable that when it goes, it goes fast.

Fair enough - I'll add that if we examine their recent fights, Tony appears to be in decline and Dariush does not.

In MMA, mileage is not equal for all combatants. Its also pretty notable that when it goes, it goes fast.
Agreed.

and Tony’s style, on paper at least, seems like it would become problematic when the body can’t do what the mind wants, or can’t do it as fast as it used to. Leaving susceptibility to “falling off the cliff” and getting old overnight.

Martial arts can be brutally unforgiving.
I like both of these guys so it sucks that one of them will have to lose.

all that said, this is a good test for both guys. I don’t see either fairing well against the top 5, but as both are in a similar stage of their careers tonight’s fight has the makings of a great battle. Neither guy quits or shies away from a fire fight.

Tony is good enough and Dariush is savvy enough that if Dariush gets on top, he will work on control not damage and ride the round out.

I wish it were a 5 rounder :(

I'll take Dariush.

I hope the guy starts getting the respect he deserves if he can finish Tony

Ferg has been controlled on the ground by Oliveira, Kevin Lee(before he gassed due to staph).

I think Ferguson ground game might be a bit overrated, he's fucked if he's on his back I think.
Didn't he submit Lee off of his back? I wouldn't say that's control.

I don't know who's gonna win this. Both are game fighters, but I find Dariush has really good fight IQ. He can break down fighters, seems to go over tape well and finds holes. It back fires on him though when he doesn't stick to the game plan for the guy he's fighting. Tony is kinda random too and that could work against Beneil. Also Beneil wins in spurts and gets a loss.... so stat wise with that it could be Tony's night. Who knows though. Potentially an amazing fight.

Back