If Dems have a big November

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by sabretruth, Aug 9, 2016.

1. sabretruth

sabretruth Gold Belt

If Hillary wins and Dems take House and Senate, do you think they'll pass any major sweeping policy changes akin to ACA? If so, what?

2. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Silver Belt

income tax hikes

3. klnOmega

klnOmega Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Tax increases and cronyism.

4. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog Platinum Member

The biggest thing would be no tuition for in-state students at public universities if their families make less than $125K a year. The MW hike would be pretty big, too (bad idea, IMO, though).

5. Rational Poster

Rational Poster War Room Messiah Platinum Member

Corporate and capitals gains tax reform I hope.

6. InvestigatorIL

InvestigatorIL Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

As someone said debt free public college not to mention and hopefully repeal or amend citizens united.

Supernaut likes this.
  7. UpaLoompa

UpaLoompa Grand Quasiprophet of the Sakaran Apocolyps

That sounds great IFF there also is a large infusion of state and federal funding. One of the big drivers in increasing tuitions has been decreasing (adjusted) state contributions. State universities have been put in the position of maintaining or expanding research and and teaching activities while not getting increases in funding from states. The only way to make up that shortfall is tuition.

Jack V Savage likes this.
  8. InvestigatorIL

InvestigatorIL Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Or making Wall Street pay higher taxes

9. ucunc156

ucunc156 Silver Belt

This is what I hope for.
    This is what I will settle for. Probably won't be free but some type of college costs reform and minimum wage increase is what I imagine they will push for.

10. UpaLoompa

UpaLoompa Grand Quasiprophet of the Sakaran Apocolyps

That gets to where the money comes from, which is also relevant but not precisely what I was referring to.

As an aside, I fully support the sort of initiative JVS brought up but there also should be rather strict SAT/ACT requirements.

11. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog Platinum Member

To be clear, I'm not necessarily in favor of the two things I mentioned (don't know enough to really have a position there but I have some reservations). Just answering the question. Looking into it, there's a lot about the platform I'm not thrilled with, though some things that don't seem splashy that I think are important and positive.

12. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

[​IMG]

13. 71Fish

71Fish Orange Belt

Who pays the bill for debt free college?

14. sabretruth

sabretruth Gold Belt

I'm not in favor of the former. If they're going to cover that many people they might as well make it universal. Most families making more than 125k are not bourgeois.

The minimum wage hike I'm neither for nor against.

SouthoftheAndes and Kafir-kun like this.
  15. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

I'd be on board if this were the case. I'd sure like to see a push for vocational and apprenticeship alternatives as well.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  16. Jack V Savage

I'd certainly appreciate it if they made it universal (I'd love for my daughter to go to Cal for free). But I'd be more concerned with the policy on the other end (that is, might be better to drop the income cutoff lower).

I don't think there would be any change in educational standards. It would just be easier to pay for. Might drive standards up, actually.

17. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Has Hillary said anything about free schooling? I thought that was Bernie thing?

18. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

Yeah, I think you're right that it would be a side effect of fewer financial barriers.

19. It should be free for all not just those under a certain income bracket. It's unfair and unequal if it is any other way. And yes I realize if it was free for all that the wealthy would have higher taxes, however they would be entitled to the same facilities. It's the principle of having it for everyone vs those under a certain bracket. It is like people who make over 125 are being punished. And if you think a family making 150k can easily cover college tuition costs better than a family say making 110k well you are mistaken I believe.

Also, why are you against. MW hike? The American Economic Association and many other groups and experts support at least a modest increase. $12 or $11 something would be an excellent start. MW has less purchasing power than it did in the 1970s and 1980s and it has not kept up with inflation (I believe).

20. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Silver Belt

Take everyone's money and give it to Syrian refugees, disband the military, remove all gender signs at restrooms, make Christian bakers only cook for gay weddings, ban all guns and have a conservative holocaust.

You know, the usually stuff Hannity warns us about.