If Demetrious Johnson surpasses Anderson Silva's 10 title defences...

No because he's fighting child-sized men

I feel bad for MM. He gets less respect because of how much better he is than everyone else that is his size.
Cruz gets it the worst. 22-1, avenged his only loss twice over, 9 top 10 wins, came back after THREE acl surgeries and took back his title that he never lost and no one ever talks about him in the goat discussion.

I misread the title as "surpasses Anderson's record of 10 little defences and I was going to say TS shouldn't be sizeist. But I was wrong, carry on!

And of course DJ's would be more impressive since he's not a proven steroid cheat.

Oh I completely agree, it just sucks for him. He's not ducking anyone, he doesn't win fights with lay and pray, he doesn't get lucky, he's not juiced up, he's just way fucking better than everyone his size, and people don't like him because of it.

I think in this day and age of MMA you basically have to be a very polarizing twat to have a lot of fans.

I like MM, great dude and amazing fighter. I do have to admit I don't really get excited for a lot of his fights for the same reason I didn't get excited for a lot of GSP fights. I feel like I already pretty much know how they are going to go, and all the rounds are going to look pretty much the same.

I think in this day and age of MMA you basically have to be a very polarizing twat to have a lot of fans.

I like MM, great dude and amazing fighter. I do have to admit I don't really get excited for a lot of his fights for the same reason I didn't get excited for a lot of GSP fights. I feel like I already pretty much know how they are going to go, and all the rounds are going to look pretty much the same.

Yea I agree, and I get it. Mostly just saying that it sucks for him that his opponents not being good enough is his biggest flaw. And I think he gets a bit to much shit for his "boring" style. In his last 7 fights, he has 5 finishes. Most of them come really late, but still finishes.

Yes. He didn't get dominated for 4,5 rounds in a fight, he didn't stale mate fights by clowning when the BJJ threat was too big, he didn't win a fight by the opponent getting injured (Cote). He just fights excellently and wins.

Bagautinov and Horiguchi are underrated AF, McCall was a beast back then

And about that 4 other wins against Benavidez and Dodson you didn't even mention.... No big deal eh
No shit I didn't mention those lol. I was only mentioning the ones I felt were weak. The first fight with Joe & the second with Dodson were both very tedious fights to watch, but he won them & they were good wins.

he shouldn't be allowed to add to it with wilson reis

This thread made me think of a silly point that people bring up: MM hasn't beat any former champs( which is always silly by itself because he was the very first...)

But how many did Andy beat? Only Rich & Hendo? Vitor if you count his LHW title win. Forrest wasn't a part of the defense streak since it was at LHW.

Technically Uncle Creepy was the lineal Flyweight champion of the world when Demousetrious beat him.
The first uncle creepy fight should of been a draw technically and also Ian was pounding him out at the end of the fight. So yea

i think people forget that Anderson was not well liked during his title reign, especially after his fight with Maia. it wasn't until he went up to fight Griffin and schooled him that he started becoming a fan favorite (but really not until he fought Chael did people love him). I think MM should do the same thing: fight a former champ a weight class up who is past his prime, doesn't need to be Cruz. He should fight FABER who is still a credible top ten BW and a very favourable match-up for MM

as for streaking, they are about even. i know it's not popular to say but it's not obvious to me that Anderson's opponents were that much better. his most credible win had to be against Dan Henderson, then Yushin Okami and Rich Franklin? sure Vitor has a big name but he was coming off a catchweight fight against a past his prime Franklin. and Chael is Anderson's biggest two fights but let's be real, Chael is not exactly one of the best MWs and he gave Anderson a really hard time.

MM's best title wins are Benavidez, who was also top ten at BW, and Dodson, who was also top ten BW. But he fought them both twice, so that accounts for half of his 8 title defenses. his other defenses are against a former shooto BW champ and a few guys who were rushed into title shots. unfortunately for MM it looks like he's cleaned out the division and no one with a big name from a heavier weight class is rushing to drop and challenge him for the title. so i think that really hurts him, but he's been pretty dominant in all of his fights except for the first Dodson fight, but he was never on the receiving end of a 4 and 1/2 domination like Anderson was. also he doesn't have a guy who is going to talk shit to him and build up a lot of hype to make the fight seem bigger than it really is, so that hurts him too.

i'll say Anderson but it's probably MM

If he breaks his record then beats Cruz, then he will be above Silva.

All i know is Demetrious is already a superior and far more complete/well rounded fighter than Anderson ever was.
This is the truth,all he needs now is a true rival.

the fight was not a title fight so it's irrelevant to the topic
Uhh the first fight was part of the four man tournament to determine the first flw champ, might of been 3 round but was basically a shot at the title that doesn't yet exist

It's my opinion, obviously. Cariaso, cejudo, ali, moraga, & I hate to say it but even Ian aren't that strong to me. Idk much about horiguchi. & before you hate on me for listing cejudo, I wanted to like him. I really did. A good looking wrestler with an Olympic medal is awesome. But none of his fights have really impressed me.

the problem too,is guys like cejudo and horiguchi get title shots really fast because DC ran out of challengers so long ago...that DC is facing them before they even have a chance to become great.

Back