If Dan and Al had have been a 5 round fight, do you think we would have seen something different?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The 90's Rulez, Oct 10, 2019.

1. The 90's Rulez

The 90's Rulez Killer Cub Platinum Member

Remember there's no right or wrong with this, it's just to create a good little discussion so we can talk about how different this fight may/may not have been had this have been a 5 round fight?

The advantages for Al in a 5 is that he is very resilient, he has a good gas tank and we know from previous fights he can go the distance. He does have some good power in those hands also which means he would have more time to get inside as opposed to Dan keeping the distance and winning the fight by decision.

For Dan to keep up what he was doing for 5 rounds could have been a whole different ball game as opposed to having to sustain this through the 3 rounds.

BUT that's not to say Dan wouldn't have been able to do this, he was looking very good and quite strong for the 3 rounds he was doing with Al.

Al has also never been KO'd and while that's not to say he never will as of now we've yet to see and would Dan have been able to pull this off, I'm personally not sure so for me Dan winning that fight I did think would have been more likely to be a decision also (which it was).

So would Al have caught him? Would Dan have put Al away or would Dan have sustained the fight the way he did to a decision of the same result after a full 5 rounds?

The difference between a 3 and 5 fight can be very significant which is why I thought this would make a good conversation.

Remember there's no right or wrong I'd just be interested to see how you guys think a 5 round would have played out as opposed to the 3 rounds we saw?

I look forward to hearing from some of you :)

2. BooBoyMan

BooBoyMan Brown Belt

If it was a 5 round fight Iaquinta would have been TKO'd, the damage he took, especially to his legs, was just too much.

4/6 of the fighters Al has lost to have all been 6'0 or taller, and Al has not beaten anyone that's taller than him (unless you include Masvidal). Coincidence lol?

DelanoRunnymede and Enigma87 like this.
  3. Right Hook nut shot

Right Hook nut shot Purple Belt

Doubt he would have been finished. Cowboy beat his ass and dropped him multiple times in a 5 round fight and couldn't finish him. The guy has s great chin. Also Masvidal dropped him too

BooBoyMan likes this.
  4. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

you're right.

DelanoRunnymede and BooBoyMan like this.
  5. Normot

Normot Yellow Card Yellow Card

Of all the fights that would have change if you added rounds you chose this fucking fight?

magicmarker likes this.
  6. BooBoyMan

BooBoyMan Brown Belt

Mehhh, I know he's tough lol but this was different. Iaquinta was 1-1 with Cerrone going into the 3rd and that round was still competitive until he got dropped.

With Hooker he was getting fucked up the entire time and it was on the verge of getting stopped at one point. Al landed maybe 1 or 2 good shots the whole fight. If it was 5 rounds, he would have eventually been TKO'd, at least IMO.

7. The 90's Rulez

Well yeah, give me one reason as to why this is a bad thing, I've explained why it could be interesting now you tell me why it's not?

BooBoyMan likes this.
  8. Right Hook nut shot

Right Hook nut shot Purple Belt

Who knows, but he was doing better in the 3rd, and that man ate a front kick, and a knee to the face from Cerrone. Maybe he would have got finished maybe not

BooBoyMan likes this.
  9. Normot

Normot Yellow Card Yellow Card

Because the winner was in cruise mode and not anywhere near gassing and the loser lost every round and wasn't going to suddenly develop more power and cardio. The loser also left the arena in a wheelchair.

magicmarker likes this.
  10. The 90's Rulez

This is what I mean, I'm not sure he would but it is MMA and we don't know so I can understand where you're coming from with this as that is a possibility.

I do want to say though, not sure if you saw any of his post fight Cowboy interviews but there was one (I think it might have been Ariel) where he was saying in the 3rd round of that fight his legs were absolutely killing him in the fight, but he wouldn't show it or would he allow that to make a difference.

Of course if you get TKO you get TKO but this goes back to how resilient Al is which is why I'm not sure that would have been the case :)

BooBoyMan likes this.
  11. Workaholic

Workaholic Silver Belt

Only difference I see is Al would have got beat up for 10 more minutes

12. The 90's Rulez

A lot of fighters do after taking a beating to the legs, Al did after the Cowbow fight but that doesn't mean to say things wouldn't have been different had this have been a five round fight? They might they might not but that's the whole idea of getting people's different perspectives.

Anyway whats with the shitty criticism? I'm creating a genuine discussion on a forum so contribute if you like but no need to be a dick.

13. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Yeah, Al would've probably ended up getting stopped. Poor dude has taken a hellacious beating in his last two fights.

14. vanillaisis

vanillaisis Purple Belt

Masvidal won that fight he was robbed.

15. Crom Cruach

Crom Cruach Green Belt

Don't know where this Iaquinta love comes from on Sherdog.

I always thought it was from Khabib fluffers bigging him up because of the unimpressive way Khabib became champ.

Al is a 10-15 guy. Always was. Tough but unskilled. The guy is offering nothing but got a TS through being in the right place at the right time and willing to take a beating for a lump of cash.

16. vanillaisis

vanillaisis Purple Belt

Because Hooker won 30-26, 30-27, and 30-27? It was never even close. All Hooker would have had to do if you added two more rounds was just coast Al couldn't do shit. He was dominated in every aspect of MMA.

SKITZADACTYL and The 90's Rulez like this.
  17. vgff

vgff Brown Belt

Al is resilient, but i didn't see anything in that fight suggesting that the tide was turning.

The 90's Rulez likes this.
  18. MXZT

MXZT Brown Belt Platinum Member

Hooker would have eaten him up even more in the later rounds. He would completely owned the fight.

19. The 90's Rulez

I agree but fights can change at any time, Dan was looking and doing great which is undeniable but an extra two rounds would it have sustained?

Again, it's all in the air and in theory so just makes an interesting discussion to see what people think :)

vgff likes this.
  20. Hunt.

Hunt. Pain is temporary Pride is forever.

Its possible but unlikely that it would change anything. One could see that Dan was slowing down in the third, but i thought he looked good enough to atleast defend for 2 more rounds. But one could tell that it could be a problem for him in the future.

The 90's Rulez likes this.