If cutting weight wasn't an issue

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Degen Gambler, May 23, 2014.

1. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

How do you think Hendo would do in the WW division? He is roughly the same weight as a lot of them.

2. EJRMAN513

EJRMAN513 Black Belt

May get some flack for this but at the moment I feel he's a poor mans Hendricks or Ellenberger.

3. Philtard

Philtard Red Belt

I reckon brock could clean out the ww division should he cut 100 pounds.

But seriously, yea I reckon he could do pretty well. He wouldn't be able to make it to the top though.

4. FallonFoxGOAT

FallonFoxGOAT Banned Banned

I could see him being top 5, as long as he actually started using his wrestling again.

I would favor him against Condit, come at me, Sherdog.

5. Philtard

Philtard Red Belt

Doesn't Hendricks cut more weight than hendo.

6. YOUR HERO

YOUR HERO White Belt

there was a video on here the other day (hendo gives friend chicken to DC) that showed Hendo pop up on a scale after a workout. Dude weighed in at 196/197 lbs. I agree, he can't make WW, but it's because his body can't handle the cut, not because he it too big.

As for how he'd do at WW, I won't comment because I love Hendo, so I'd obviously be biased in my response.

7. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

[​IMG]

I know the figt was at 185, but still.

8. muaythaibeast

muaythaibeast Brown Belt

He couldnt last a round at mw and got dominated by shields. As of now he would have nothing for anyone smart enough to avoid the right hand.
    I know the scales said 196, but this is a guy whos weighed around 205 his entire career, and 207 against fedor. He isnt a ww (neither hendricks or mcdonald are over 200, even if people are saying hendricks cuts from 220)

9. ColonelAngus1

ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

After a workout? How much did he weigh before the workout?

10. elzar

elzar Red Belt

yes, but hendo doesn't ballon up and get fat--he seems to maintain around 200-204. the other day he was 196 after a workout. he really wasn't cutting that much to make MW compared to most. weidman comes down from like 212 or so.

but hendricks gets a bit too fat. that's just not healthy and thew weight cut only gets harder over the years when you swing so radically. the body freaks out in the aftermath, holding on to liquid and such.

11. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Uh, Hendricks doesn't start his weight cut while he's still fat. He sheds most of it during training camp, then cuts from 190 something. Anderson was another fighter who used to baloon up quite a bit in between fights, yet never had any trouble cutting weight despite being pretty old for MMA standards.

12. elzar

elzar Red Belt

i think people confuse cutting and the weight that people reach before beginning camp. hendricks gets up to 215 (or higher) but he definitely isn't cutting from there. he first loses weight the way any fat person does: better diet and exercise. the cut is a few days before the fight, and i bet he's below 200.

13. elzar

elzar Red Belt

i didn't mean to imply that. my point is just that he gets really fat, diets, and then cuts. and that those wild swings are not healthy. he should ideally maintain closer to 190 IMO between camps./

hendo is someone who clearly doesn't do well cutting. i don't know if it's just too taxing or it's psychological, but he hates it and doesn't do as well as he should at 185.

14. Jamoke

Jamoke Banned Banned

Crazy how far weightcutting has gone. Once upon a time Hughes and GSP were considered as gigantic welterweights. Welterweights of today easily have 10 pounds on both of them.

15. TeamSpaceMonkey

TeamSpaceMonkey Purple Belt

I knew this thread would pop up soon. Dude, he's too old to cut a lot of weight. He should probably just compete at MW, but he is still competitive against top 10 LHWs. If he were 10-15 years younger, he'd be a great WW.

16. YOUR HERO

YOUR HERO White Belt

I don't know. I guess that depends on how much he sweat and if he made a poop.

17. Hendo would have gotten wrecked in the UFC WW division. He was always better at LHW than at MW. At WW he would have had the same cardio as Baby Jay...bout 7 minutes

18. elzar

elzar Red Belt

who knows. bodyweight fluctuates all day. was this morning or night? how well hydrated or fed was he at the start? but it's not uncommon to lose 3-4 pounds while working out. and others pointed out that the scale itself seemed to jump down from 199-196 when he touched it as he checked weight. it's clearly not an official scale.

but i usually hear dan weighing in around 204 or so when he's at LHW.

19. fandangler101

fandangler101 Brown Belt

Jakes grappling is on another level at 170 outside of Lombard. Hendo would do well there.

20. Tnellie30

Tnellie30 Green Belt

No.

Hendo is better suited using his wrestling, strength, and power against bigger, slower guys than trying to use those same tools against faster, more agile guys. ESPECIALLY at his age now. He is waaaaay too slow to compete with top level WWs.