If Cruz never got injured

devilmaysquid

White Belt
Reaction score
Let's say Cruz never got injured, got the decision against Faber, and went on to take on Renan Barao. How do you think that fight would have played out? I've never really been much of a fan of Barao myself, but I could see him either getting a pretty clear UD or maybe late finish.

He would have jab-jab-runned the crap out of him for 5 rds to a decision.

Now, Barao takes him.

He is quite a boring fighter anyway. He will decsion Barao though.

First off, Cruz is my favorite fighter so I might be biased.

Barao is a killer when people try to come down the middle on him. He kills people with the long jab and straight when they move in on him. Also, if you stay at a range, he destroys the legs with kicks. He is also a BEAST on the ground.

Cruz never comes down the middle to attack. It is always at an angle. Also, he never stays within anybodies range. The only problem is when he moves, he gets very heavy on his lead leg. He has good takedowns and is a great scambler. He is not the best BJJ player. He is also great any defending the takedown.

It would be a very interesting fight. If Barao cannot time Cruz with leg kicks, he gets picked apart on the feet. If Barao can take Cruz down, it would be interesting to see if he could keep him down. If he can, Cruz gets submitted.

I would pick Cruz to win a UD with solid TDD and confusing Barao with his angles. Barao would adjust in later rounds and start catching Cruz more but it would be too little too late.

im not convinced cruz would walk threw barao. i think barao cud possibly defeat him even though cruz is the biggest 135er ever.

I think Barao is bigger man.

i thought they said fight night weight for each guy is: barao 5'7'' 70 inch reach -160 and Cruz- 5'8'' 170ish . 68inch reach.
i think cruz just looks so massive b/c his last couple opponents weren't "taller" guys.

Hmmm I didn't see that one.

I thought Cruz walked around a 55-60 and Barao like 65.
They are both big BW's.

Also, I know that Barao is looking to move to FW as soon as Aldo makes the jump. The cut is supposed to be really hard on him.

Barao is amazing. He doesn't get enough credit. I feel like he would've beaten the pre-injury Cruz, and he'd take Cruz if Dom makes a comeback. Been saying it for a while. Maybe not a finish, but I'd certainly see Barao as the favorite.

Isn't Urijah the biggest weight cutter at bw?

Barao is amazing. He doesn't get enough credit. I feel like he would've beaten the pre-injury Cruz, and he'd take Cruz if Dom makes a comeback. Been saying it for a while. Maybe not a finish, but I'd certainly see Barao as the favorite.

I agree that Barao is amazing.

I just don't think he would be able to deal with Cruz's angles. The only time Faber caught Barao was when he came in off an angle. Sadly, most of the time Faber was content to sit on the outside and get picked apart. Everytime he tried to move forward he did it in a straight line and ate a 1-2.

Barao has great straight punches but doesn't throw too many hooks. Also, Cruz wouldn't sit in front of him like Faber did.

This is all pre-injury Cruz btw. I have no idea how he will look when he comes back.

if cruz never got injured. he would have decisioned faber with luck from the judges on his side and then lost to barao.

barao would be the real champ by now, and will be after they fight.

At the time of the injury, Barao's W over Faber was far more dominant that Cruz v Faber 2. I think Barao has too many tools and ways to hurt you. He'd have taken a strong UD or finish in the 3-5 rounds

At the time of the injury, Barao's W over Faber was far more dominant that Cruz v Faber 2. I think Barao has too many tools and ways to hurt you. He'd have taken a strong UD or finish in the 3-5 rounds

Differant styles man.

If he never got injured I think he would still be champ.

He would have beat Barao 50-45.

Now I'm not sure. Depends on the condition of his knee.

Well Cruz would have fought Faber in a fight that could have went either way but that Cruz would have probably won by decision since he's a real point fighter. In his next fight Barao would have knocked him out and I think Wineland or McDonald could knock him out also.

Back